Play Book Tag discussion

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America
This topic is about Devil in the Grove
Archive: Other Books > Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King -- still 5 huge stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America by Gilbert King
5 stars (second time reading)

My summer Social Justice class was assigned this book, to be read over two weeks with four class periods of discussion. At first, I didn't think that I would reread it, but I ultimately decided to and am glad I did. I was amazed by Thurgood Marshall even more the second time and the class discussion just enriched the experience.

I cannot recommend this book enough to every single person. It reads like an unbelievable crime thriller, but it is the all too painful truth about our not-so-distant shameful history.

My original review can be found here

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Since listening to the podcast More Perfect, I have been more intrigued by Supreme Court Justices and Supreme Court Cases. Adding to TBR.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jason wrote: "Since listening to the podcast More Perfect, I have been more intrigued by Supreme Court Justices and Supreme Court Cases. Adding to TBR."

Jason, the first time I read this book I listened to it on Audio and it was very well done!

I still need to get to that podcast. I think I may save it for after this summer class when I am not so entrenched in the Supreme Court.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I think it was just last year that I read this and thought it was very well done. I envy your class discussion - that always adds such a wonderful element to a good book, especially one like this that delves so deeply into a piece of history.