Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Road by Cormac McCarthy - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Jun 08, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Joy D | 4621 comments The Road by Cormac McCarthy - 4 stars

Post-apocalyptic fiction about a father and son trying to survive in a devastated world. A catastrophic event has happened (never specifically divulged), ash rains from the sky, trees are burnt, and the countryside is deserted except for marauders, cannibals, and other “bad guys.” The unnamed father and son travel the road together toward the sea, scavenging for food and trying to avoid death in many forms.

The prose is stark and powerful. McCarthy has designed a desolate world filled with danger. Themes include mortality, isolation, trust, love, good vs. evil, hope vs. hopelessness, memory, and resilience. It is written in a spare manner using many sentence fragments, no quotation marks or apostrophes, little punctuation, and one lengthy chapter. Harsh, violent, bleak, at times gruesome, The Road offers a tiny glimmer of hope that even in the most extreme circumstances, there will still be a few “good guys.”

Content warnings include cannibalism, murder, detailed descriptions of corpses and how they died, and a bit of profanity. Recommended to readers of post-apocalyptic or dystopian literature.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I watched The Book of Eli and it really bothered me. Beyond the graphic violence and gore, but just on a deep personal level it bothered me and took me a while to move on from it. Then I was told, you think that is rough, try The Road. I think I will pass.

Great review though.

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4621 comments Thanks, Jason! I don't blame you. It's very dark.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I have so much love for this book.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments LOL and I hated this one. Could not stand the free-form, lack of punctuation and lack of plot. Skimmed a lot of it. I can handle dark, but I was irritated throughout this book. The only good thing about it is that it won me a great prize in an elephant game because I was eager to get rid of it, and everyone else wanted it, so it got me a prize for the most stolen book! :)

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9071 comments annapi wrote: "LOL and I hated this one. Could not stand the free-form, lack of punctuation and lack of plot. Skimmed a lot of it. I can handle dark, but I was irritated throughout this book. The only good thing ..."

Oh... this doesn't sound good. I really didn't like the only book I've read by him, but a friend suggested I try this one, anyway, so I added it to the tbr. From what you've said, Anna, I'm thinking I won't like this one, either.

message 7: by annapi (last edited Jun 09, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Oh... this doesn't sound good. I really didn't like the only book I've read by him, but a friend suggested I try this one, anyway, so I added it to the tbr. From what you've said, Anna, I'm thinking I won't like this one, either."

Your tastes and mind don't always coincide, but you can check out my original review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I know I'm in the very small minority who disliked this book. I know I originally rated it 2.5 and said I couldn't decide which way to go, but I eventually gave it 2 stars and am still solidly of that opinion. "Hated" is too strong, since I was able to finish the book on my own, but I can't even say I was indifferent to it as it was worse than "meh" for me.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments annapi wrote: "LOL and I hated this one. Could not stand the free-form, lack of punctuation and lack of plot. Skimmed a lot of it. I can handle dark, but I was irritated throughout this book. The only good thing ..."

Annapi that is a great book story:)

message 9: by Karin (last edited Jun 09, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Karin | 7470 comments Jason wrote: "I watched The Book of Eli and it really bothered me. Beyond the graphic violence and gore, but just on a deep personal level it bothered me and took me a while to move on from it. Then I was told, ..."

I did NOT like this book at all, so good choice for you, I think, and I don't just mean for the violence and gore.

message 10: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4621 comments I can see how this book would inspire strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum.

message 11: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments This was a 5 star read for me - I loved the spare writing style and the warmth of the father/son relationship. Truly scary, though - a devastating book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Road (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cormac McCarthy (other topics)