Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > July 2018 THEMED Nominations: Academy

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jun 08, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2649 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for THEMED category for July 2018.

THEMED books need to be currently in print on at least one platform, and fit the theme for the month. If there is no spaceship involved, then it must take place on another planet with a technological society. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series. Frequently books in this category will be those from major publishers that are no longer in print as paperback (or haven't yet made it to paperback), but Kindle Exclusive books are allowed too. It is perfectly fine to nominate a book here that would qualify for one of our other categories.

CURRENT THEME: Academy. The book should include multiple scenes during the time when the main character was attending an academy. Typically this will be a college level institution that trains students to be officers on starships, but there is some leeway and the book can follow the main character’s career and/or life before/after the academy.

Bonus points if the book is suitable for the New Adult category.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

See this thread for suggestions:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jun 08, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

My Nomination is Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2; Liaden Universe, #14) by Sharon Lee Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is a direct sequel to Fledgling which was a group read a few years ago. Suitable for New Adult and possibly for YA but Theo is older here than our YA category rules allow. Lots of action, small amounts of attending lectures, reasonable amounts of coping with other students, and of course more than once getting into trouble.

ETA: Forgot to mention that you don’t need to have read Fledgling or any of the other Liaden Universe books to enjoy Saltation. And it’s available as paperback and just about every flavor of ebook, plus Audible.

message 3: by Christian (new)

Christian | 10 comments For an academy theme, I vote for “A call to Duty” by David Weber and Timothy Zahn. A young man gets wrapped in a bank robbery gone wrong and escapes into the hands of a recruiting officer who charges his life. This 1st book handles his academy time

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I’ll second A Call to Duty (Honorverse Manticore Ascendant, #1) by David Weber A Call to Duty by David Weber and Zahn.

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

We already read Ender’s Game.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 330 comments I will second Saltation.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Audrey wrote: "I will second Saltation."
Yay! Thanks Audrey!

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary:
Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2; Liaden Universe, #14) by Sharon Lee Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Audrey.

A Call to Duty (Honorverse Manticore Ascendant, #1) by David Weber A Call to Duty by David Weber and Timothy Zahn. Nominated by Christian. Seconded by Teresa.

Disqualified: Ender's Game (already read)

Nominations will close on June 22nd.

message 10: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

And the random numbers chose A Call to Duty.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.