Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

7 views
Fathers and Daughters

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments For Father's Day, a special message for fathers with daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeRZS...

Highlights three memoirs with strong father and daughter bonds:
Standing Up After Saigon
Generally Speaking
Muslim Girl


message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3110 comments Mod
Thanks for posting. Two books come to mind that I have read that have positive father-daughter bonds:

Jokes My Father Never Taught Me: Life, Love, and Loss with Richard Pryor by Raine Pryor

As I Knew Him: My Dad, Rod Serling by Anne Serling


message 3: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2634 comments Interesting I have been reading mostly memoirs about mothers and daughters. But Fathers day isnt till September here, do you have a different day?!

One memoir I read about fathers and sons was...Rebel with a Cause by Franklin Graham 'finally comfortable being a Graham' was the subtitle. He is the son of famous evangelist Billy Graham.

He was kind of like the prodigal son but he wasnt extreme just rebellious in his own way. Everyone expected him to walk in his dads footsteps and he was a bit reluctant. The memoir is about his journey and he also talks about the other father figures in his life (as well as The Big Guy) because his own dad was away so much preaching that he didnt spend as much time with him. Reading his dads memoir Just as I Amthat was one of his regrets.

I dont know if Billy Grahams daughters (he had three) have written any memoirs?


message 4: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3110 comments Mod
Selina wrote: "Interesting I have been reading mostly memoirs about mothers and daughters. But Fathers day isnt till September here, do you have a different day?!

One memoir I read about fathers and sons was......"


Father's Day in the U.S. is always the third Sunday in June.


message 5: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2634 comments Trying to think of any Father daughter books I have read...how about this one

The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma


message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Koren wrote: "Thanks for posting. Two books come to mind that I have read that have positive father-daughter bonds:

Jokes My Father Never Taught Me: Life, Love, and Loss with Richard Pryor by Rain..."


Selina:
Thanks for sharing these suggestions. I looked at both of them and have them as "to read"....I love, love, love memoirs!


message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Selina wrote: "Interesting I have been reading mostly memoirs about mothers and daughters. But Fathers day isnt till September here, do you have a different day?!

One memoir I read about fathers and sons was......"


Father's Day is June 17 here---I thought it was on June 10th, that's why I did the post. My son just called me to tell me I was too early with my posts. At least now I won't be making some Father's Day calls tomorrow.

I looked at the two books about Billy Graham and have marked them as "to read." I saw a fabulous documentary at Sundance Film Festival called Come Sunday. It's a true story about a pastor in Tulsa, OK who was mentored by Billy Graham. Charlie Sheen plays Billy Graham. The movie is on Netflix. I highly recommend the movie.


message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Selina wrote: "Trying to think of any Father daughter books I have read...how about this one

The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared by Alice Ozma"


I love the concept of reading together for 100 nights....thanks for the recommendation!


message 10: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2634 comments Here's another oneI remember reading

My Father's Daughter: A Memoir by Tina Sinatra.
I think Frank Sinatras other daughters may have written memoirs as well.

Oh and can't forget this one: Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva


message 11: by Koren (last edited Jun 15, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3110 comments Mod
How about a somewhat less than positive male influence: Secrets in the Cellar by John Glatt about Joseph Fritzl, who kept his daughter prisoner in the cellar and fathered several children with her, unbeknownst to the rest of the family living upstairs.


message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1744 comments Koren wrote: "How about a somewhat less than positive male influence: Secrets in the Cellar by John Glatt about Joseph Fritzl, who kept his daughter prisoner in the cellar and fathered several chi..."

OMG yes. What a story.


message 13: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3110 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "Koren wrote: "How about a somewhat less than positive male influence: Secrets in the Cellar by John Glatt about Joseph Fritzl, who kept his daughter prisoner in the cellar and father..."

One that stuck with me.


message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Fishface wrote: "Eileen the true crime phreak has read:

Daddy's Little Secret: A Daughter's Quest To Solve Her Father's Brutal Murder
[book:The Lost Night: A Daughter's Search for the Truth of Her ..."


I love the combination of true crime with a father/daughter focus. Thanks for the recommendations!


message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Koren wrote: "How about a somewhat less than positive male influence: Secrets in the Cellar by John Glatt about Joseph Fritzl, who kept his daughter prisoner in the ..."

This sounds interesting and tragic.


message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Selina wrote: "Here's another oneI remember reading

My Father's Daughter: A Memoir by Tina Sinatra.
I think Frank Sinatras other daughters may have written memoirs as well.

Oh and can't forget th..."


Both sound fabulous---thanks!


message 17: by Fishface (last edited Jun 17, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Fishface | 1744 comments How do you feel about a memoir written by the dad in the third person? I actually loved Who Will Cry for Staci?: The True Story of a Grieving Father's Quest for Justice. But the third-person thing is a tiny bit odd.


message 18: by Fishface (last edited Jun 28, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Fishface | 1744 comments I just thought to look at the Family and Friends shelf over at the TC group and found these:

400 Hours: A Father's Journal of His Daughter's Kidnap and Murder
The Kalinka Affair: A Father's Hunt for His Daughter's Killer

These two I have read mysrlf and I can strongly recommend them:

Becky: The Heartbreaking Story of Becky Watts by Her Father Darren Galsworthy
Where There Is Evil


message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments This all sound fascinating----thanks!


message 20: by Selina (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:37AM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2634 comments Another that comes to mind, I havent read but could be interesting -Amy, My Daughter by Mitch Winehouse


message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments Great suggestion!


message 22: by Fishface (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Fishface | 1744 comments I just stumbled across a father-daughter one from the daughter's POV: Burned: Pyromania, Murder, and A Daughter's Nightmare, about a daughter who helped in the fight against the parties who accused her father of being an arsonist.


message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Orlopp (sharonorlopp) | 21 comments WOW!! This book description sounds incredible....just put it on my "to read" list and it's at the top! Thanks!


message 24: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1744 comments I feel I need to read it too. It sounds really good.


back to top