Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > adding cover photos

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (chijules) | 3 comments I have 3 books of poetry I entered ratings and read dates for today, none of which have a cover photo.
In all cases the appropriate isbn version is posted here (though not the specific print edition), but no photo. These were posted by someone else.
I have scanned images of 2 of the book covers from my own copies & there are also photos on Amazon, so I think any of those meet your requirements.
I have not yet scanned the 3rd, as I wasn't sure whether to scan the slip case or the actual book cover. This 3rd one also has Amazon photos of both slip case and book cover, each for a separate listing, but both match the ones I have.
So - my questions are:
1. Is there a way I can add cover photos to a book someone else initially added, or is that something one of you librarians should do?
2. If I can do it, how do I get to where I can add the photo?
3. Slip case or book cover for the 3rd one (none of these 3 books were ever published with a dust jacket)?
4. My scanned photos or Amazon's (in at least 1 case, mine is a better photo)
5. If you need to do this, would you like me to send you either attachments for my own photos or links to Amazon's photos?
OR -
6. Since there are clearly very few folks reading these books, should we leave without photos. I favor adding photos, as I think that is what catches many people's initial attention, and might gain readers of some great books.
Thanks for your help - just tell me if this is more trouble than it's worth.
Julie F. (Chijules)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45463 comments Mod
Last question first: definitely we should add covers, if we have them from acceptable sources! And your scans certainly qualify.

Julie wrote: "1. Is there a way I can add cover photos to a book someone else initially added, or is that something one of you librarians should do?"

It takes a librarian.

Julie wrote: "3. Slip case or book cover for the 3rd one (none of these 3 books were ever published with a dust jacket)?"

Either is fine.

Julie wrote: "4. My scanned photos or Amazon's (in at least 1 case, mine is a better photo)"

While either is fine, whichever is the better photo in each case is preferable.

Julie wrote: "5. If you need to do this, would you like me to send you either attachments for my own photos or links to Amazon's photos?"

You can upload your scans to your photos section, and then link to them here.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (chijules) | 3 comments rivka wrote: "Last question first: definitely we should add covers, if we have them from acceptable sources! And your scans certainly qualify.

Thanks for the reply, Rivka.

Here are links to my photos here on Goodreads of covers of my own book copies. My comments here and under each photo include the isbn, title, etc. in case it's not obvious from the photo. I hope they will work.

There are 2 photos for Net of Fireflies - one of the book cover & one of the cardboard slip case (which actually has more info) - you can decide which is more appropriate or use both if possible.
Also, note my inclusion of the full title and designation of Harold Stewart as translator and essay author (not haiku author, as implied) for 'A Net of Fireflies: Japanese Haiku and Haiku Paintings'.

Let me know if you need anything else. I could come up with book descriptions if you think that is also needed.
Thanks again, Julie

1. isbn: 0873585526, 'Drifting Through Ancestor Dreams' -
https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

2. isbn: 0935825002, 'Silent Winds: Poetry of One Hopi' (full title) https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

3. Slip case, isbn: 0804804214, 'A Net of Fireflies: Japanese Haiku and Haiku Paintings' (this is the full title on Title page, and makes more apparent what it is), also Harold Stewart is the translator & included essay author only (not clear in the listing) -

4. Book cover, isbn: 0804804214, 'A Net of Fireflies: Japanese Haiku and Haiku Paintings' -

message 4: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 23392 comments Done. I went with the slip case cover for A Net of Fireflies; we can't use both and that one had all the information.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (chijules) | 3 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Done. I went with the slip case cover for A Net of Fireflies; we can't use both and that one had all the information."

Thank you!
I love seeing the covers there. Somehow that brings the books to life, at least for me. I can feel them in my hands, and remember the words with just that simple visual. I think people are more likely to take another look at a book if they see the cover; I suppose that is the main point of a cover design in the first place.