YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire → Starting June 13th, 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 14 comments The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 14 comments The first chapter was a lot to take in, I thought. Everything moved so fast and I'm not to sure how I felt about that. But, on the flip side I wanted to keep reading it. Right now I can't stand Travis. Hes just like the type of guys I hate. Cocky, and arrogant. I hope he changes, because I might hate his character.

message 3: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments omg that's exactly how I felt, I feel like it's very stereotypical, I think Abby's going to get attached to him like very quickly. Like I don't like how Travis is decribed as a god...

message 4: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments What do you think about Abby??

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 14 comments I think shes a little naive. She has already let him get to her I think. I haven't read the second chapter. I didn't get around to it yesterday, because I worked all day and by the time I was home I was exhausted.

message 6: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments Same, I think she's gonna turn into one of them girls... That's okay! Take your time, I feel like this book will be a slow read for me 😣😑

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 14 comments the second chapter wasn't as bad. Travis is still one of those guy's, but so far he doesn't seem that bad when he's around Abby. I've had this book sitting in my shelf for so long and I've read mixed reviews on it. I wanted to read it myself to see what I thought. I will post again when I've read a few more chapters.

message 8: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments Same I've been telling myself to read the book, but I never got round to it... just read the second chapter though, I think we are going to have mixed views on the book. See I don't like Abby at all, Travis doesn't seem that bad, I think he's putting on a "Bad boy persona" because people are so use to seeing him like that...

However, I really don't like Abby. I feel the second chapter went way too quick, in how she's quickly gets defensive of him, and how she gets annoyed that Travis isn't interested in her. And the fact when they slept together in a bed, the next morning she was like annoyed he didn't make a move, when she specifically told him not to...

Same, I'll post when I've read a couple more chapters 😊

message 9: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments I take that back, Travis is a douche...

message 10: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments hey, so I know it's been a couple of weeks, I just wanted to let you know that I've finished the book, I'm so sorry! It's just my opinion of the book started to change when I got halfway through the book and I started reading two chapters instead of the just one, I couldn't stop 😂😂🤣🤣

message 11: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments however it doesn't matter if u haven't finished because it seems like we would've just read the book and told each other about it?? I don't mind talking about the book with you once you've finished 😊 (if you haven't already read the book already that is!)

message 12: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments which i also don't mind

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 14 comments Hi, I just got done with Chapter six. I honestly forgot about it for about a week. But, I am starting to like it more and more. I have a love hate relationship with Travis right now. One moment he is really sweet and then the next moment he he does something douchy or is too controlling. I was starting to really start to like him in chapter 4 then he brought those girls home and that really made me hate him for a hot minute. I don't trust Parker I have a feeling Travis is right about him. I really want to hate this book for some reason, but I can't, To me it's a lot like high school to me, but I am almost twenty-five so....but anyway, I actually enjoy reading it. I will try to see what I can get read in the next couple days and post again. Sorry I'm not being very good at reading this. I'm just so busy with work and life.

message 14: by Cii (new)

Cii (ciireads) | 47 comments That's completely fine! I understand, would it be better for you if we spoke about the book once you are finished? I mean whatever is easiest for you!

Eugh same, he has such an ego, it's just not attractive at all, but he does have good moments. The controlling, angry side to him is worrying though!

Also I think both Abby and Travis have alot faults, Abby can be really bitchy at times, and when she has those moments, I'm just like "THIS DRAMA IS UNESSASARY" They are also really wrapped up inside one another, so I feel like bringing "Parker" into the mix is pointless because we know what's going to happen...

It does feel like high school, with all the stereotypical groups, and the "Groupies"  from the "societies" I'm like I thought it was meant to be about COLLEGE, but it feels like an extension of high school... But I dk, I'm from the UK, we don't have those stereotypes so... 😂

It's like a guilty pleasure, you don't want to like it, but you do 🤗😅