Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3)
This topic is about Revenant Gun
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Revenant Gun [June-12-18]

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments thanks, Scott!

Three more days, cannot wait to meet Jedao again.

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Yesss! #excitements!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments My Kindle copy has arrived so I'm ditching other BRs now :))

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 12, 2018 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 18013 comments Mod
There's an audiobook, so I'll get to this soon... maybe once I'm caught up on other books, I'll have some comments to respond to :)

message 6: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 12, 2018 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

FIXED typos

Stupid phone keyboard

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Iain wrote: "*get

*respond

Stupid phone keyboard"

Are you using the app?

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

No, I use the mobile browser at work... switching to desktop mode and editing is really annoying/jarring on phone, tho, and a bit buggy... since scrolling the comment box acts wierd...

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments What an interesting way to start the book...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments IKR?!

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Chapter 3
Don't you just love the servitors?
Especially this one who basically made a (view spoiler)

message 11: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Tell me when you get to the refrigerator, I’d like to hear your ideas. It felt so odd to me.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Fridge (view spoiler)

Why? Do you think it's going to be important?

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Can I open the spoiler since I am only at chapter 5?

message 15: by Sara J. (last edited Jun 12, 2018 05:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Spoilers spoilers! Argh! I will read on more first (which means I didn't open the spoilers lol). Let me finish the work day and then I have a long weekend for (hopefully) some reading!

I am actually totally enjoying the way the story seems to be going! The POVs! xD~

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Chapter 5 description on voidmoth made me rethink of my decision of classifying the trilogy as fantasy. Maybe it is now more SF.

Chapter 6
Wait, so the Shuos (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Chapter 13
What is going on with Dhanneth...anybody can guess?

I really like the details on the mothships with its variable layout (very practical) or the weirdness of a Nirai ship.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Finished. Wow. Unexpected ending.

I... Do not know how to rate this. Need time to process.

message 19: by Sara J. (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Hai. I am only at Chapter 12! o_O where does all the time go?!

Fridge (view spoiler)

I am really enjoying the servitors and Brezan and generally the whole thing actually. Love all the random details that gets thrown in. xD

Silvana wrote: "Finished. Wow. Unexpected ending.

I... Do not know how to rate this. Need time to process."

Gosh. I will get there soon! I just need 50% more hours in a day. Hahahaha.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Just opened Lena's spoiler. On the fridge thing, I agree with Sara J.

So, I was finally able to gather some thoughts in my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Basically, I miss having the real Jedao's POV.

message 21: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I forgot about this in my hectic reading schedule... oops... 6 weeks later, I remember... and am still busy...

message 22: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finally made time to read this and have been a bit lost at times, having waited so long... good to see you guys have some of the same experiences back in July... just read your review Silvana, and agree about the loss of (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Glad you finally made it! I hope Lee writes more about this world. He does have a middle grade fantasy coming next year (?) - Dragon Pearl. I plan to check it out.

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

He has an anthology coming out next year, containing most of the pre-existing stories, and some new ones, including a followup to the end of Revenant Gun, according to his website...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Thanks! The Hexarchate Stories will be my most awaited novel next year. I am so happy.

message 26: by Sara J. (last edited Oct 02, 2018 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I forgot about this in my hectic reading schedule... oops... 6 weeks later, I remember... and am still busy..."

This is me for almost every buddy read I have on here since work exploded in April haha - I feel like one of those people on an Ultramarathon who refuse to give up and just limp along to the finish line even after the cutoff time.

I see you have added the Timelord prefix to your name Iain - is it just a nod to the good Doctor or a nod to your prodigious speed at getting through books! Or both?

Silvana wrote: "Thanks! The Hexarchate Stories will be my most awaited novel next year. I am so happy."

I too am looking forward to this! The middle grade fantasy not so much - a lot of authors seem to be delving into middle grade or YA level and I find it a bit meh tbh. One day I will try some though and hope to be proven wrong on the meh.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments That's a valid concern, Sara. I don't mind middle grade fantasy (compared to YA) so I am willing to give it a try and set a lower expectation. One of the best middle grade fantasy I read was Railsea by China Mieville, who writes mostly adult SFF. You might to check it out!

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Silvana wrote: "That's a valid concern, Sara. I don't mind middle grade fantasy (compared to YA) so I am willing to give it a try and set a lower expectation. One of the best middle grade fantasy I read was Railse..."

Wow - I love Mieville! I have Railsea on my TBR too - didn't even know it was middle grade fantasy! Makes me curious to get to it now... xD

message 29: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara J. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I forgot about this in my hectic reading schedule... oops... 6 weeks later, I remember... and am still busy..."

This is me for almost every buddy read I have on here since wo..."

Bit of both, and this group's tendency to add prefixes and suffixes to everyone's names... Empress Virginie, Sir Anni, Diana Stormblessed, etc...

I tend to avoid YA as well, especially since they tend towards love triangles and angst, but there ARE gems to be found, sometimes...

I think authors veer into YA because it allows them to try and catch an entirely new readerbase that can grow into their existing and future adult books library...

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana wrote: "That's a valid concern, Sara. I don't mind middle grade fantasy (compared to YA) so I am willing to give it a try and set a lower expectation. One of the best middle grade fantasy I read was Railse..."

I've kinda given up on growing to love Mieville's brand of bizarre literature...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments His books and subgenre are not meant for everyone, I guess.

Sara, sorry I mixed up Railsea with Un Lun Dun. Railsea was YA but ULD is middle grade.

See, Railsea is is not your normal annoying YA so I misclassified it as MG 😂 I loved that book a lot.

Have not read Un Lun Dun but I plan to do it next year.

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read Kraken and Embassytown and abandoned Perdido Street Station this year...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Maybe you should also read Railsea. It is bizzare but not in the level of Bas Lag novels, Kraken or Embassytown. People also like The City and the City - I quite liked that one but not as much as his other works.

Poor Yoon Ha Lee, we made this thread a Mieville one 😂 but hey, both are weird. Now I miss Kameron Hurley as she is also weird.

message 34: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

I might give it a shot when I find the time, then... maybe Mieville uses Railsea and Un Lun Dun as "gateway books" to ease you into his weirdness :D

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I might give it a shot when I find the time, then... maybe Mieville uses Railsea and Un Lun Dun as "gateway books" to ease you into his weirdness :D"

I read somewhere that he actually suggested The Scar (my ultimate fave) as a good starter, or otherwise The City and the City. The later maybe because of the setting was nearer to home - as in not too fantastical.

Another input: https://www.panmacmillan.com/blogs/fi...

I actually read Perdido first. It was quite shocking, to say the least.

message 36: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finally went back and finished... took a day or 2 break and read some other things...

(view spoiler)

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Ooh I need to try read some Kameron Hurley now. XD))

Timelord Iain wrote: "I read Kraken and Embassytown and abandoned Perdido Street Station this year..."

Nyouuu- how could you! Haha. PSS was actually my first Mieville and I found it aweeesomeee!! So unlike anything I had ever read before but I did just finish getting through Gaiman’s Sandman comics (phew) at the time which probably helped me through the weird!

I have read Kraken and Embassytown and Un Lun Dun! I do still remember Kraken (I got “weird” fatigue halfway through it) and Embassytown (really like the language angle!) but I seem to have developed book amnesia with ULD haha!

Timelord Iain wrote: "Finally went back and finished... took a day or 2 break and read some other things...

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments For K. Hurley, you might want to try The Stars Are Legion or the Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy. Her books are so visceral and weird and full with awesome female characters.

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Silvana wrote: "For K. Hurley, you might want to try The Stars Are Legion or the Bel Dame Apocrypha trilogy. Her books are so visceral and weird and full with awesome female characters."

I will look into those! I just checked and I actually have the first book of her Worldbreaker Saga on my TBR - lol.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments That one is also good but the third book is not out yet :(