Mrs. Blais's F Period Essentials discussion

Patterns

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs.Blais (new)

Mrs.Blais | 5 comments Mod
Discuss a pattern that is emerging in your book. What do you think might be the meaning of this patter at this point?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Dom | 4 comments One pattern that is emerging in my book is the unpredictability of the coach. The narrator talks a lot about how her coach is really unpredictable and doesn’t know whether she’s going to get praised or yelled at. I think it is significant because that is something that is pushing the main character to work harder and be better and will ultimately lead her to be able to achieve her dreams

message 3: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 4 comments A pattern that is reoccurring over and over in my book Plague, is the constant shift of power. Whenever somebody gets it, at first they enjoy it and have little to no issues, but as days pass more unsolvable issues pop up. As well as pressures that can not be handled by a fifteen year old. Eventually, it drives them insane to
the point where the must rid themselves from the unwinding power. I believe this keeps coming up because it throws the characters off from the main antagonist: the Gaiaphage, which has yet to do anything in this book so far. The more pressure the heroes endure, and the more thrown off they get, the more likely the villain can strike completely out of nowhere.

message 4: by Aidan (new)

Aidan Pj | 3 comments In my book, about the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. The author talks about the most famous game against the Soviet Union, and when he mentions somebody on the US team he takes a break from talking about the game and focuses on that players image, personality and history. I think the author is choosing to use this pattern so that while he provides an exciting, action packed, behind the scenes look on the game, he can talk on a deep level about each of the players on the team so that the reader feels as if they have a greater understanding of all of the players.

message 5: by Shealee (new)

Shealee | 3 comments A pattern that I’ve noticed in the book “The Sun is also a Star” by Nicola Yoon, is that even though the narration changes from character to character, only two of them are narrated in the first person. I think it’s because the two who narrate for themselves will be the main characters later on in the book.

message 6: by Mica (new)

Mica Wishengrad | 4 comments One pattern I have noticed in my book is the discussion of how each character can, and has influenced the other characters actions. I think this may be important in the end because if people understand how they can manipulate the others, since manipulation has been a common trend in the other books of the series; then the outcome of this book might be changed. If each character did only what they wanted the events might have different conclusions.

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace | 3 comments One pattern I found in my book is the re-accuring use of the word “said”. This is a low level book and doesn’t have diverse word choice. I see the word “said” and “I” very often. (It’s Dead Job by Vicki Grant)

message 8: by Liam (new)

Liam A | 1 comments A pattern in my book, King Dork, is the reoccurring mentions of the death of Tom, the protagonist’s, father. Tom does not know much about how his father died and throughout the book, he has been slowly learning more. This could mean that he will finally feel at peace with his dads death once he learns more, because his home and school life are uncomfortable as is.

message 9: by Ella (new)

Ella G (elmeister) | 3 comments A pattern that I have noticed in “Brave New World” is the futuristic society’s dependence on “soma”, a mind-altering drug taken as regularly as one might take Advil. Whenever anyone feels the slightest bit bothered, angry, sad, or generally negative, the societal norm is to take a gram or two of soma, which acts like a stimulant like Xanax or Ativan. Some people even choose to go on “soma-holidays”, when they get totally zonked on soma and stay high for days. I think the meaning of this repetition is that this futuristic society is controlling its citizens with the calming and sedating effect of soma, making them pliable and easily manipulated.

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Loubier | 3 comments A pattern I noticed in my book is the main character kept mentioning being scared about getting caught. It was mention at-least every chapter and he did end up being caught by the police but not for what he did for what the persons identity he stole did. He was so scared of getting caught for identity theft but he ended up being arrested for murder.

message 11: by Hannah!! (new)

Hannah!! | 2 comments A pattern I noticed in my book, The Alchemist, is the concept of the ‘language of the world.’ ‘The language of the world’ is the concept that people from different backgrounds or speak different languages can understand each other through this language. One example of this language is positivity, that when people have the motivation to help one another, they can understand each other. This is an important pattern because the boy is able to make allies with whoever he meets through this universal language, and can understand people’s motivations.

message 12: by Mrs.Blais (new)

Mrs.Blais | 5 comments Mod
Shealee wrote: "A pattern that I’ve noticed in the book “The Sun is also a Star” by Nicola Yoon, is that even though the narration changes from character to character, only two of them are narrated in the first pe..."
Strong observation about the significance of perspective

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments In my book if I stay I have noticed the pattern of death. Her family has gotten in a car crush and she is now in a coma, while the rest of her family has died and she just keeps asking herself if she is died/ should she just give up fighting and die too.

message 14: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Lemire | 2 comments A pattern that is common in my book (It by Steven King), is one that the main antagonist keeps bringing up. The character in question, Pennywise, brings up a line that is spoken before he kills Georgie, "Everything floats down here." This line is brought up many times throughout the book and it sort of signifies how much Georgie's death affected everyone.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Sargent | 1 comments a pattern that is re-occurring in my book is self-help. I am reading Thirteen Reasons Why and each character seems to be struggling with something in their personal lives along with the death of a good friend.

message 16: by Kaleigh (new)

Kaleigh | 2 comments a pattern that I have noticed in my book, Little Women, is the importance of family. it comes up very often of how their family and love of their family plays a major role in their lives.