Books for Christian Teens Around the World discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy Kathleen (new)

Amy Kathleen | 29 comments Mod
My name is Amy, I have five siblings, I am a Christian, a babysitter, and I LOVE to read! My favorite book is Keeper of the Lost Cities, and my second favorite is The False Prince (it wasn't easy to make that decision). And someday I wish to go to France. ;-)
God Bless, Amy
<3 Jesus was my first love <3

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hi, I'm Catherine. :)A little new to Goodreads, but I'm figuring it out. I babysit as a regular job, just one thing to pile on top of my homeschool life. :) I am a nine year Christian (not sure if length of time matters). I've never had a FAVORITE book because I read too many good books to decide. However, I do enjoy reading YA and fantasy. I also write and hope to be a professional author someday. :) Meanwhile, I write on a website other than Goodreads, and I am working on some things to post here as well. I hope that's not too much information. :P See you around! :)

message 3: by Amy Kathleen (new)

Catheirne wrote: "Hi, I'm Catherine. :)A little new to Goodreads, but I'm figuring it out. I babysit as a regular job, just one thing to pile on top of my homeschool life. :) I am a nine year Christian (not sure if ..."
Hello Catherine! That's funny, I am also homeschooled and I also babysit. And I agree, it's not easy to decide on a favorite.
Is your website like a blog? I have a blog that I write on and I also love to write poetry, creative writing, and I'm working on a book. ;-)

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Catheirne wrote: "Hi, I'm Catherine. :)A little new to Goodreads, but I'm figuring it out. I babysit as a regular job, just one thing to pile on top of my homeschool life. :) I am a nine year Christian (not sure if ..."
Wow! It's great that we can work during school hours, isn't it? :D
No, it's not a blog. Don't laugh, but I write on a LEGO website where people who like LEGO come to chat. :) I don't love LEGO, but it's a good place for me to write and share it with the word. All of my friends on there are Christian and most of them homeschooled as well. We all can relate to each other quite well. :)
Oh! That's great! I too am working on a novel, or planning one. Have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo?

message 5: by Amy Kathleen (new)

Catheirne wrote: "Catheirne wrote: "Hi, I'm Catherine. :)A little new to Goodreads, but I'm figuring it out. I babysit as a regular job, just one thing to pile on top of my homeschool life. :) I am a nine year Chris..."

That's great Catherine! And yes, every Thursday I babysit from 9am till 3pm.
I think I have but I never looked into it... I'll look now!

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Catheirne wrote: "Catheirne wrote: "Hi, I'm Catherine. :)A little new to Goodreads, but I'm figuring it out. I babysit as a regular job, just one thing to pile on top of my homeschool life. :) I am a nine year Chris..."

I had a job just like that, except I worked on Tuesdays and Thursdays. :) Although, recently, my clients moved and no longer need a sitter. :(
I tried to participate last year, however, I joined two weeks late and could not finish in time. This year, I'm going all the way. :)

message 7: by Amy Kathleen (new)

That's too bad. :-/
I looked at it and it sounds really awesome, I think I'll sign up! ;-)

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Ooh, great! I currently don't have an account (I deleted my old one) but I'm going to make one in October. We could be writing buddies. :)

message 9: by Amy Kathleen (new)

That would be SO much fun!!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Agreed! Oops, I have to go. I've got an overnight trip to my grandma's house and I have yet to pack! Well, I'll be back as soon as I can! It was great to meet you Amy! :) See you!

message 11: by Amy Kathleen (new)

It was nice to meet you too! Have a nice time! :-)

message 12: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker Hi girls!
My name is Tracy. I'm no longer a teen (but my oldest child is almost a teen! Yikes! She babysits too.) I like to be involved in groups like this because I am an author of Christian YA books, and I like to stay in touch with the people read those kind of books.

I've never done NaNoWriMo, can you believe it? It seems overwhelming to me. Deadlines scare me.

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hi! :) It's nice to meet you Tracy. What kind of books do you write? Fiction or self-help? :)

To be quite honest, NaNoWriMo can be overwhelming at times! It's hard for me because I tend to be a perfectionist, but it's impossible to write novel in thirty days, and it be ready to go to the publishers! I'm going to try to overcome my insecurities with imperfection during November. :)

message 14: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker I write fiction - YA Christian fantasy, to be exact. Here's the page on my website that tells about the series I am in the middle of. It's about the Nephilim.

http://www.tcslonaker.com/about-the-a...

All the best to you this November. I can totally relate to being a perfectionist. I go over my novels time after time before I submit them, and then my editor STILL has a ton of things for me to change. I really don't mind that, though, because I know it will make it the best book it can be.

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Oh wow... those look so cool! I can't wait to read them! :)

Thank you. :) I agree.

message 16: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Hello!! I'm Lena.

I'm a Christian teen, homeschooled my whole life. I'm an aspiring spec-fic writer. I've never tried NaNoWriMo, but I might someday. It's great to meet y'all! (Hi Tracy!! ;))

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hi Lena! Welcome to the group! :) You're homeschooled too, huh? That's great! It's great to meet you!

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Thanks Catherine!! Homeschooling is great, isn't it?

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Homeschooling is fantastic! Except when your three little brothers won't stop yelling at each other... ;-)

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Catherine wrote: "Homeschooling is fantastic! Except when your three little brothers won't stop yelling at each other... ;-)"

Haha!! I'm the youngest, so I never had that problem! My sister, however, will come in and talk to me when I'm supposed to be doing school.... We didn't really get much done when we were both doing school. In the same room... Lol! ;)

message 21: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker -- Hi Lena!--

You know, it's funny. My husband and I were youth group leaders at our church for about 10 years, and we had definite groups of the "home schoolers," the "Christian school kids," and the "public school kids." They were always competing about which was best. The pastor's kids were Christian school kids and very vocal leaders, so I guess that was the group with the most prestige at that time. I loved our homes school kids though. Really gave me perspective into their lives.

message 22: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Yeah, our church youth group kinda has the homeschoolers vs public schoolers attitude. All playfully, of course!! ;)

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) I'm actually the only homeschooler in my youth group. :) All of the others go to public school. :)

message 24: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker Wow, the public school kids were always in the minority in my church. You all should live here! (Pennsylvania)

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Haha! I've driven through Pennsylvania on my way to New York a few times. A beautiful state in the spring and winter. :) That's a reason I talk to people on the internet: almost everyone I know is homeschooled on here! :D

message 26: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Yeah, I've been amazed by the number of homeschoolers online!! :) My youth group is about half-and-half, with a few more public schoolers.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls) (booksforchristiangirls) | 17 comments Hi y'all!
I'm Lindsey, a Christian home-schooler from Texas! :) I run the blog, 'Books for Christian Girls' where I review all genres of Christian books, writing down all the Spiritual, Negative & Sexual content and do ratings for ages 9-19! :)
{ http://booksforchristiangirls.blogspo... }

Nice to meet y'all! :)
~Lindsey

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hi Lindsey! It's nice to meet you! I'll definitely check our your blog! :)

message 29: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker I'll vouch for Lindsey's blog! She writes great reviews. :)

message 30: by Amy Kathleen (new)

Hello Lena, Catherine, Tracy, and Lindsey,
Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately I've been gone all day so I wasn't able to connect at the time. But it's nice to see everyone talking on here. :-)
Catherine, I am also the only homeschooler in my church, sadly. But we just signed up for two homeschool co-ops, so I'm excited about that. How many siblings do you have? Almost everyone I know is homeschooled on here too! lol ;-)
Lindsey, I love your blog. You do post great reviews. ;-)
Lena, welcome! I'm excited to get to know all of you more! My family and I currently don't have many friends because we just moved to MN about a year ago and have had troubles adjusting to the new space (even though we lived here before) so most of my friends are online.
Tracy, deadlines scare me too!!

message 31: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hey Amy! :) I'm not the only one! Thank goodness! It's can be hard at times when everyone thinks you've got it easy being homeschooled. Some things are easier, however a few things are more challenging. ;-) I've got three little brothers. My mom is... a "nanny" of sorts. She and I babysit a little boy and three children from our neighborhood during the week and I consider all of them to be my younger siblings as well. :) That's four could-be siblings. :P Let's just say it's REALLY loud in my house. ;-)

message 32: by Amy Kathleen (new)

I completely understand the volume, I have an older brother(19) who doesn't live with us but visits often but he is still very loud, an older sister(17), a younger sister(11) who may be the loudest of them all, and three younger brothers(4,20mo,6mo) it's pretty crazy here too but I can't imagine seven young kids running around all the time... I wish you good luck!! :-/ (lol)

message 33: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Slonaker Oh my, Catherine. I think I would go crazy in your house. My 3 kids are loud enough!

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Wow, Amy. That's a lot. And Tracy, I'm surprised I haven't lost my mind!

message 35: by Zac (new)

Zac (zacthesnarkyrambler) | 3 comments Hi, my name is Zac! I'm a Christian, first and foremost. I'm also a 16-year-old, homeschooled, snarky, goofy, outdoor loving, reader/writer/actor/singer/dancer--though you can probably leave that last part off. I don't dance THAT well... ;o) I love reading mystery, historical and speculative fiction. I write in all those genres, focusing on the YA, MG, and Children's areas. I love imagining and creating stories! I'm also a pencil artist (kinda!). My favorite books are the LotR Trilogy, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games Trilogy, The Heirs of Montana Series, The River of Time Series, and The Tales of Goldstone Wood Series. Yeah, I know, that's a lot. :o) I also love to talk babble, in case ya hadn't noticed!

I can't wait to get to know y'all! And kudos to Lena (my Goodreads pal!) for inviting me to join!

God Bless Y'all! :o)

message 36: by Amy Kathleen (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:25PM) (new)

It's a pleasure meeting you Zac, and welcome to the group. ;-)

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls) (booksforchristiangirls) | 17 comments Thank you for the warm welcomes! :)

message 38: by Amy Kathleen (new)

It's my specialty. ;-)

message 39: by Zac (new)

Zac (zacthesnarkyrambler) | 3 comments Thanks a bunch, Amy Kathleen! :o)

message 40: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Hey Zac!!! Glad you joined!! :D

message 41: by Amy Kathleen (new)

Welcome Joshua! We are excited to have you along. And yes, I've read all three of the Michael Vey series and I love it to. ;-)

message 42: by Zac (new)

Zac (zacthesnarkyrambler) | 3 comments Hi, Lena!!! *waves wildly*

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherinemurphy) Hi Zac and Joshua! Welcome! :)

message 44: by Lena (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) Joshua wrote: "Hello, I'm Joshua. Josh to my friends,
I am an only child, My mother is Jewish and my father Catholic, So I am brought up between the two, mostly Christian.
I enjoy reading books, I read about 2 a..."

Glad you joined, Joshua!

Zac~The Snarky Adventurer wrote: "Hi, Lena!!! *waves wildly*"

Lol! ;) Hi!

message 45: by Alana (last edited Feb 11, 2015 10:59AM) (new)

Alana H | 3 comments Hi, I'm Stella. I was SO happy to find this group, because I joined some other book-club like groups and the books were...if-y. I'm a Christian teen (Non-Denominational), homeschooler and fangirl (if you don't know what that means--look it up!) :D

message 46: by Rajdeep (new)

Rajdeep Paulus (rajdeeppaulus) | 1 comments Hi. My name is Rajdeep. My friends call me Raj. I am a YA Author and a Christian. Would love to share my books with you. Hope you are all having a save and not too chilly winter. Feel free to message me. Happy Reading!
Best,
Raj

message 47: by Sara Lubrecht (new)

Sara Lubrecht | 2 comments Hi, my name is Sara. My favorite author is Rick Riordan, I am Amy's older sister, and I love to read and play video games. I am married and currently live in Japan. I am a writer and am currently working on a book. I have finished a book when I was between the ages of 13 and 15, but have yet to work on publishing it.