American Westerns discussion

21 Western Novels Every Man Should Read

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments Another list. I can't argue with any of these selections. Most are obvious. There are a few that I'm not familiar with at all.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articl...

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments Solid choices for most of the list, several from our previous group reads, and some I didn’t know about but will look into.

Revenant I wasn’t wild about, the Micheal Crichton book seems a reach, and I think there were a few better choices out there, but you’ll never get everyone to agree, still... no Elmore Leonard? I’m probably biased but, no Max Brand either?

My two cents worth...

message 3: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments Some of the more recent books aren't from Westerns writers at all, but rather from popular writers that happened to write a Western. The Crichton book is a good example.

message 4: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Tim wrote: "Solid choices for most of the list, several from our previous group reads, and some I didn’t know about but will look into.

Revenant I wasn’t wild about, the Micheal Crichton book seems a reach, a..."

Pardon me if I'm incorrect but I thought there was a Max Brand in that list but that might have been only in the comments.
I agree that it's only an ignorant son of a bitch to fail to include at least one Elmore novel.
Stupid.
But I was inspired by the list to go back and read the follow-ups to Lonesome Dove- the greatest Western novel I've ever read.
Hell -I'm in between trains, maybe I need to go downstairs & pick up Lonesome Dove again and start at the top.
Also need to read Abbey's "Brave Cowboy".
I'll probably read Abbey 1st and then bounce around the Lonesome Dove series.

Life is hard. TBR is harder.

message 5: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments I don't typically reread books, although I should make an exception with Lonesome Dove. It's been many years since I've read it.

I have an old Pocket Books edition of The Brave Cowboy, but the print is so small I practically need a microscope to read it, a disadvantage of print books as opposed to ereaders where you can increase the font size.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 131 comments I've only heard of nine of them but the list sounds good.

message 7: by HornFan2 (last edited Jun 09, 2018 03:08PM) (new)

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 94 comments Decent list, agree Max and Elmore should be on it, but these come to mind Win Blevins, James Alexander Thom - Panther In the Sky, Dee Brown Bury My Heart, Jory Sherman - The Medicine Horn & Trapper's Moon and Allan W. Eckert - The Frontiersmen are gems that should be on the list or I'd have them.

message 8: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) | 11 comments I would have included A. B. Guthrie Jr.'s "The Way West."

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew McBride | 78 comments A matter of taste of course, but I note the absence of A.B. Guthrie Jnr's THE BIG SKY, John Prebble's THE BUFFALO SOLDIERS and any Elmore Leonard - no HOMBRE for example. They'd be on my list! Andrew McBride

message 10: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Some of those selections as "Westerns" seem a real stretch to me. There are westerns -- and everyone knows what they are when they read them -- and then there are outlier stories which people want to cast a bigger umbrella over to include, unjustifiably in my opinion, in the traditional genre and call them westerns. Zane Grey could easily have had three or four books in there without breaking a sweat, and L'Amour the same. Luke Short isn't even there, nor is Max Brand, which to me, is utterly ridiculous, especially considering some of those "modern" choices. If they were going to stretch the genre, they should have at least gone in the right direction, to the past, and placed Cooper's Last of the Mohicans on the list, in my opinion.

message 11: by Edwin, Moderator (new)

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments One of the selections, "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt (2011), is being adapted to film and releasing this Summer. Seems like new Western movies lately have been too darn dark, or succumb to self-parody. Maybe this one will get it right. The trailer is available on the Group home page, or Videos page.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Varner | 2 comments Absolutely, Abbey's The Brave Cowboy. Best Max Brand novel: The Untamed. Best Zane Grey: the Light of Western Skies. Best B.M.Bower: Lonesome Land. Best Plains Novel: Willa Cather's My Antonia.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew McBride | 78 comments Edwin wrote: "One of the selections, "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt (2011), is being adapted to film and releasing this Summer. Seems like new Western movies lately have been too darn dark, or succumb ..."

I take it you haven't read THE SISTERS BROTHERS, Edwin. Whilst it's well-written I think you could describe it as dark and self-parodying, an anti-western rather than a conventional western. So I wouldn't get my hopes up for the movie. Andrew

message 14: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 32 comments I thought it was a pretty good list, though I can't speak for the more recent titles which I haven't read. If I were making a comprehensive list for the genre, though, I'd definitely include something by Eugene Rhodes and by Dorothy Johnson (and probably Bower too).

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 3 comments This morning I went into lotus-eater mode and put all the books on the list on my TBR.

Jim, who believes that it's better to be a trip without a suitcase than a suitcase without a trip.

message 16: by VT (new)

VT Dorchester | 12 comments I should probably use this list (and everyone's comments) as I continue my quest to read and review a western a month on my blog.

I'd be interested to learn if anyone has any very new books they'd add to their "must read" list!

message 17: by William (new)

William Hubbartt | 31 comments I invite your consideration of a new release entitled "Lawman's Justice;" it contains two novels in the saga of Sheriff Clay Holland in the west Texas in the 1870s. Your feedback would be welcomed.

message 18: by VT (new)

VT Dorchester | 12 comments I've added it to my list of books to try out!

message 19: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Whitt | 31 comments Nice collection of 5 star books. Added "The Searchers" and "The Shootist" to my list.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 4 comments Very good list. Thanks for posting.