The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Bill Clinton and James Patterson collaboration

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 08, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) What do you guys think of the Bill Clinton and James Patterson collaboration? Is this unprecedented or am I just forgetting other president/authors?

The President Is Missing

I want to read this even though I have a (possibly terribly unfair) aversion to James Patterson. I would hope that Clinton could add a real sense of authenticity to the background details in the story. Or maybe he's just window dressing. IDK. I met him when he was campaigning at my place of employment, and I was very charmed by him in person.

Does anyone else want to read it, or will you avoid it?

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9317 comments Mod
NancyJ wrote: "What do you guys think of the Bill Clinton and James Patterson collaboration? Is this unprecedented or am I just forgetting other president/authors?

The President Is Missing

I wa..."

as long as Patterson's name is on the cover, nope.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1595 comments I will pass on this book also. My wife still reads Patterson.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13845 comments Clinton's been a big detective/mystery reader for some time, but his participation isn't enough to induce me to read a Patterson product.

message 5: by Nell (last edited Jun 08, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Nell Interesting responses since Patterson's Alex Cross series is on the list of 100 Great American Reads. My niece is a fan but I've never read any of his books.

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen I quit reading Patterson books a couple of books after he went to 1 page chapters.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9317 comments Mod
Nell wrote: "Interesting responses since Patterson's Alex Cross series is on the list of 100 Great American Reads. My niece is a fan but I've never read any of his books."

There are so many more crime novels worthy of being on this list than books by James Patterson. It doesn't surprise me though -- he's pretty much always on the NYT bestseller list.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am just buried under books right now, but some of these are incredibly interesting.

message 9: by Miss M (last edited Jun 08, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Miss M | 560 comments I’ve heard that Patterson’s earlier books are not bad but when I took a look at some of the collaborations he did with international crime writers I was not impressed. Felt like chapter books for adults. And Clinton is making an ass of himself on the book tour. I’ve got thousands of books on my TBR lists, don’t think I’ll be missing much when I skip this one.

I did used to shop at the same mystery bookshop on Connecticut Ave. as Mr. Clinton, back in the nineties!

message 10: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 08, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Nell wrote: "Interesting responses since Patterson's Alex Cross series is on the list of 100 Great American Reads. My niece is a fan but I've never read any of his books."

I'm reassured that I'm in good company with my negative attitude towards the James Patterson factory and franchise operations. I really liked the first couple books in the Alex Cross series, and one standalone early in his career that was different from everything else he wrote. But then I started to see too much repetition in the themes, plotlines, tropes, etc, and it started to tick me off. He found some formulas that could sell books, then he created his factory. I know it's a business, but I'd like to maintain some illusion that literature is also an art form.

He sells a lot of books, so he's clearly a favorite author for some people. With The GAR list, each author can only have one book or series, so if the first two or three books of the series were mentioned frequently, they listed the whole series rather than choose between them.

So far, in The Great American Read group, no one has nominated Patterson's books, and I'm not expecting it to come up. We're reading A Prayer for Owen Meany, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn next.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Sales (ksales) | 62 comments I feel the same about both Patterson and Patricia Cornwell. Their early books were pretty good, but they devolved over time, and I can't bear them anymore.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 434 comments I really enjoyed the first 10 or so Alex Cross books, think I read up to 18, but then they lost something. Some of his other early books were good, but I've not been impressed with much of his collaborations, I've only read as many as I have because they can be picked up cheaply in charity shops. I've had the same with Patricia Cornwell too, I nearly stopped one recently on page 2!! I only continued as it was only 50 pages.

message 13: by Princesse (new)

Princesse (princesse_c) | 3 comments Miss M wrote: "I’ve heard that Patterson’s earlier books are not bad but when I took a look at some of the collaborations he did with international crime writers I was not impressed. Felt like chapter books for a..."

This is one of the most adversarial book tours I've seen.

message 14: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 08, 2018 06:51PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Eris wrote: "
."

I only saw one clip, where the interviewer kept asking questions about Monica Lewinsky. I can understand why he'd get annoyed by that (it was 20 years ago), but that's the kind of thing they should have prepped for. He used to be better at controlling his emotions and keeping things light when needed. But then, I think he has a lot of reasons to be pissed off in general.

message 15: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1595 comments I sent my sister in law a link to a Patterson interview in the New York Times, detailing his assembly line book process. She is a Patterson fan and responded that "he was a genius."
She recently bought a Patterson book and was very disappointed, only finished it because she paid for it.

message 16: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Thomas wrote: "I sent my sister in law a link to a Patterson interview in the New York Times, detailing his assembly line book process. She is a Patterson fan and responded that "he was a genius."
She recently b..."

He does have a genius for making money and establishing a strong brand. I should have more admiration for someone who was able to find a way to create a new business model and build a successful business. (But that doesn't mean I want the product.)

message 17: by Princesse (new)

Princesse (princesse_c) | 3 comments NancyJ wrote: "Eris wrote: "
."

I only saw one clip, where the interviewer kept asking questions about Monica Lewinsky. I can understand why he'd get an..."

That topic is something which he will never ever get away from, so he should always be ready to deflect it or dampen it.

Considering both he and Patterson are truly famous, there was no real need to even set up one interview, IMO. *shoulder shrug*

message 18: by Princesse (new)

Princesse (princesse_c) | 3 comments Thomas wrote: "I sent my sister in law a link to a Patterson interview in the New York Times, detailing his assembly line book process. She is a Patterson fan and responded that "he was a genius."
She recently b..."

The Vanity Fair article about him, his prior career and his current writing process is a good read, if she missed it. (January, 2015).

He is a machine.

message 19: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 79 comments I stopped reading Patterson when he stopped writing his own books.
I also think celebrities--be they ex-Presidents or anyone else--should go through the same hoops as the rest of us in finding publishers and audience without a big boost from big name publishers and/or fellow celebrities. Sure, we all know names sell. But quality of writing is what really counts and should be recognized.

message 20: by Craig (new)

Craig Wickmann | 58 comments I'm about half way through, so far it is better than I expected. I agree with the chapter thing though, it's very annoying.