Goodreads Singapore discussion

Kindle/E-Books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (ingenioua) | 8 comments Hello! I’m interested in buying a Kindle in Singapore and I was wondering if anyone here owns one?

If you do, please tell me
-where did you buy it? (Online? In store?)
-model of kindle
-experience using the device (pros and cons)
-does it strain your eyes?
-how it compares to a physical copy
-and if you could go back in time, would you buy it again?

message 2: by Lucia (new)

Lucia | 2 comments I had one before, bought online at Amazon (US) during some promo. Should be available in Amazon SG now. If I remember correctly, it was 2014 model. No, I wouldn't buy it again, mostly because my library is mostly with Google now, and google book can read epub files (my pre-existing collection). Device was ok, although there was no support in SG before (read: not sure how the warranty work without support), not sure about now.

Pros:
- I have no storage space for physical book, ergo, I buy/ collect ebook. Biggest pros: I do not need to bear with the pain of selling my old book when I need space for my new book.
- Very gentle on the eyes, less strain, etc (but nowadays, normal android phone can do the same with blue light filter etc)
- I think newer version have access to audible (audio e-book), more variation.

Cons:
- I had wide range of library, mostly in epub. Converting to mobi files readable by kindle was troublesome. I ended up reading from my phone more often, cos I couldn't be bothered to convert it to mobi.
- I miss hardcopy book to be honest (the feel and the smell), but I'm all about reducing paper etc, and I have no space.
- You can't brag/share/lend ebook to others (but this apply to all ebook reader)

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (riversidemuses) | 2 comments I would personally recommend the Kobo Aura One which you can buy from eBay. A kindle will tie you to Amazon’s eco system which is great if you want to buy your eBooks. The Kobo Aura One is compatible with Overdrive which allows you to borrow from our local library (NLB). I personally find that I don’t need to own my ebooks and NLB has tons and tons of ebooks including new releases.

My few cents worth - a device that is automatically synced with my NLB account is superior to the Kindle which deliberately makes it hard for you to transfer ebooks borrowed from the library. But I tell my friends that if they want to buy their ebooks, go with the Kindle as Amazon carries more ebooks for sale than the Kobo store.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patricia_bjaaland_welch) | 7 comments I love my Kindle and carry it around a lot -- not just when I am commuting by bus/plane/MRT -- but because it's so useful in my work. I have all my critical reference books on it. Granted I'm a historian and work with Asian art and often need to check facts about events and dates that my little brain can't always remember, but you'll find so many uses for a Kindle (which I recommend as it has many more non-fictio titles available) once you have one.

message 5: by Dhana Latchmi (new)

Dhana Latchmi Mahesh (latchmigirl) | 5 comments I bought my Amazon fire 8HD from Qoo10. It cost about SGD203 (inclusive of delivery) and they delivered quite fast.

message 6: by Kadhir (new)

Kadhir | 1 comments Felicia wrote: "I would personally recommend the Kobo Aura One which you can buy from eBay. A kindle will tie you to Amazon’s eco system which is great if you want to buy your eBooks. The Kobo Aura One is compatib..."
Exactly.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

There is no need to buy a kindle anymore.Just download the app for free and start reading.
by the way, this YA fantasy is free today and tomorrow.Here is the US link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...
Here is the UK link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/awakening-Da...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

JC Maxwell boarding school in Surrey UK; that is where Diana 15 years old have been sent, along with five of her friends. She is charged with a mission by her mother; to find the reason for some unexplained disturbance. What she did not expect to find was a series of murders and school staffs with strange behaviours. Subsequently, the parties responsible for the murders are intrigued and disturbed by those new students who not only have started to meddle in their affairs but also appear to be more than meets the eye. While the two groups are clashing, the only thing everybody agrees on is that no one is in Surrey for the reason they claim to be.
https://www.amazon.com/awakening-Dark...