Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Book donations needed for a battered women's shelter

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
Hi everyone! I just finished speaking to someone who volunteers with an abused women's shelter in Massachusetts. They are looking for book donations for their residents. Here is her message:

Hi I don’t know if you can help me or not but I volunteer at a battered women’s shelter and they are always looking for books to read if anyone would like to donate their books pm me and I’ll give u my address - some of these women can’t leave the house or are afraid to leave the house - a few authors and some other people have sent me books to bring to them - if you can’t no worries.

They cannot share much information about their safe house for the protection of the residents (which from women's shelter I have dealt with personally, is VERY true). She did share that they are currently housing 6 children between the ages of 6-17 and 7 women. Their funds for recreation are VERY limited so they depend heavily on donations from the public. She said they accept ALL genres including erotica and books with trigger themes. The women and children are appreciative for the chance to escape in a book when they are trapped inside. Once the women are done with the books, they send them to other women's safe houses in the state.

If you are interested in donating a book or two, please message me here or by email (ericagrahamauthor@gmail.com) and I will send you the address for the contact.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hockaday | 79 comments That's awesome! Would love to help. My third book that was released in January is called Beautiful,Strong Women:Poems of The Journey To Overcoming Domestic Violence.

Recently I was able to finally donate 1 copy to a local shelter in my area. Would love to try to get a copy of the book to the shelter. But due to my financial struggle it will have to be shipped to them from Amazon. Would that be OK?

message 3: by Erica (new)

That would be great. All books are shipped to the home address of their donation coordinator since they cannot reveal the address of the shelter. I will DM you the address. :)

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
Erica- please send me an email- I will get a box out to them

message 5: by Erica (new)

Email sent, Carole :)

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
got - Brit will take care of it Monday

message 7: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Bolick (ccbolick) | 66 comments I'd love to help out. Please send me the address.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Thank you, C.C.! Goodreads isn't letting me message you for some reason. Can you message me so I can reply with the address?

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 217 comments Erica

Send me the address.

message 10: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Bolick (ccbolick) | 66 comments Erica wrote: "Thank you, C.C.! Goodreads isn't letting me message you for some reason. Can you message me so I can reply with the address?"

Can't seem to send you a message either. Please send to my email bolickcc@gmail.com.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Emails sent to both of you. Thank you!

message 12: by AlTonya (new)

AlTonya | 3 comments I'll be able to get some books shipped by the end of the month if they're still in need:-)

message 13: by Erica (new)

I get the impression this is a year round need. Thanks for your interest in helping. I will message you the address so you have it. :)

message 14: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Doggett (ldwriter2) | 53 comments I would be able to send a couple of different books

message 15: by Erica (new)

Thank you, L.E.! I sent you a message.

message 16: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Sent you an email, Erica. We have a ton of coloring books and some children's books we published through our company and can't seem to get rid of. I'd be happy to donate some to the cause, and maybe a few other titles as well.

message 17: by Erica (new)

Thank you, Dale! I saw it and sent you an email. :)

message 18: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 464 comments Mailed mine out this morning. :)

message 19: by Erica (new)

Thank you, Carmel!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread