What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy - the weather has been terrible so a girl goes to find who is stealing it. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Scott (cassidynoga) | 3 comments It wasn't a super modern book, because there wasn't a TV or cell phone or anything. Everyone is complaining about how they haven't had good weather in a while and the main character goes in search of the nice weather. (more in the spoilers section)

I think it's middle grade, but it could be for grades 9-10 as well. I know for a fact that it was published before 2011. I read it somewhere between 2004 & 2011. I read it in English. I don't think it was SUPER popular, even then.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

It's been so long since I read the book and I'm not sure how soon we find this information out, but the main character finds the good weather on an island. There's a woman who is controlling the weather - essentially pulling it from everywhere else and keeping it on her beautiful island. I think as the girl got closer to the island, she started seeing more flowers and grass and things (signs of good weather) but I don't remember much else.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36633 comments Mod
Cassidy, can you describe the bad weather (e.g., always raining, thunderstorms, snowing)?

Is the woman a scientist or witch?

message 3: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Scott (cassidynoga) | 3 comments I think it was cold and gray skies, not rainy or with storms, but I’m really not sure on the specifics. The island was like a tropical paradise.

The woman wasn’t a scientist, but I don’t think she was called a witch, either. I think she just had a magical ability. (:

message 4: by Kris (new)

Does the girl live in a realistic Earth setting (e.g., Winterbringers by Gill Arbuthnott starts in Scotland) or a fantasy world?

message 5: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Scott (cassidynoga) | 3 comments It was Earth, but I don’t remember it being a modern city. Again, it’s been at least a decade and a half since I read it, but I almost feel like it was a...village (?) at the start of the book. The girl was able to travel across land, but not in a car. I don’t remember how she traveled but it definitely wasn’t on a highway.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
The Changes Trilogy; The Devil's Children; Heartsease; The Weathermonger by Peter Dickinson is a possibility. It deals with what happens when something causes the world to revert technology from around the year 800 CE.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Cassidy, are you still looking for this book - or did you find it?