Play Book Tag discussion

Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
This topic is about Rivers of London
Archive: Other Books > Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 389 comments A friend lent me this book because I mentioned that I needed to read something for magical realism this month and we both thought it might fit but on consideration it does seem to be more urban fantasy so I'm posting my review here instead.

Peter Grant is a policeman at the end of his initial training period and just wondering what branch of the police service he is to be posted to when he is assigned to guard the scene of a crime. When he is approached by a ghost offering information about the crime he is suddenly initiated into a supernatural side of London he had no idea existed. Peter discovers that there is a branch of the police force which deals with supernatural crime and he becomes an apprentice in the world of magic.

This book is full of detail; about London, about magic and supernatural beings and about history. It's written in a light, easy style which I love with some memorable lines, for example, Peter says that, after a couple of hours of training "I was capable of flinging a fireball down the range at the dizzying speed of a bumblebee who’d met his pollen quota and was taking a moment to enjoy the view."

Overall, I think this is a very clever and well-written story. Definitely a 5 for me.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Yay! I'm glad you went ahead and read it anyway. It's a series that I'm comfortable recommending to lots of different readers because it has so many interesting hooks to it.

KateNZ | 2671 comments I adore this series. Not books to read in public places, though - too laugh-out-loud funny!

Susie | 4488 comments Such a great series! The audio versions are great. I must get to the third some time soon.