Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Suggestions & Voting > Book of the Month Nominations - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (last edited Jun 10, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

Roger | 2031 comments Mod
Please start nominating books for next month!

- Nominations will be open for 24-48 hours and during that time we will take in as many nominations as possible.
- After 24-48 hours, 8 books from each genre will be chosen at random from the selection, using a random generator online.
- Only ONE nomination per person (EITHER sci-fi OR fantasy)
- No books nominated last month may be re-nominated for July, instead you must wait until August to nominate them again. A book counts as "nominated" when it made it to the polls. If it was suggested, but not picked for the polls, it can be entered again.
- If books are part of a series, they must be the first, unless the group has already read the previous book(s) (you can see our previous group reads here)
- No authors nominating their own works
- No self-published or ebook only books - we want our BotM to be accessible to as many members as possible!
- Book nominations may be seconded in place of a suggestion, but this will count as your choice for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomisation process.

Fantasy
Oathbringer
The Grace of Kings x2
Dragon Wing x2
Nightshades
The Court of Broken Knives
Beyond Redemption
Age of Swords
The Shotgun Arcana

Science Fiction
Sea of Rust x5
Ubik
Terminal Alliance
Sirius
Broken Angels
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
The Black Lung Captain x2
The Demolished Man x2
The Long Earth

message 2: by Ryan Norman (new)

Ryan Norman | 2 comments Can i nominate - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz. Read some good reviews and looking forward to reading it

message 3: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments I'd like to nominate Sea of Rust for science fiction please. It's on the Clarke Award shortlist and sounds interesting :-)

message 4: by Margo (new)

Margo I nominate Ubik for sci-fi

message 6: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Vinca wrote: "I'd like to nominate Sea of Rust for science fiction please. It's on the Clarke Award shortlist and sounds interesting :-)"
I would like to second this one. I have picked it up several times at a local bookstore and would love to have a chance to buy it :)

message 7: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Maria wrote: "Vinca wrote: "I'd like to nominate Sea of Rust for science fiction please. It's on the Clarke Award shortlist and sounds interesting :-)"
I would like to second this one. I have pic..."

It's got a great cover hasn't it? Exactly the kind of thing I'd keep picking up until I had an excuse to buy it :-D

message 8: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Vinca wrote: "Maria wrote: "Vinca wrote: "I'd like to nominate Sea of Rust for science fiction please. It's on the Clarke Award shortlist and sounds interesting :-)"
I would like to second this o..."

Yes it‘s the cover that drew me in.

message 9: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments I'd like to nominate The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu for fantasy, please! (:

message 10: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1996 comments Can I nominate Dragon Wing for fantasy please.

message 11: by Jer (last edited Jun 08, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Jer Wilcoxen Nominating Terminal Alliance by Jim C. Hines for sci-fi, please.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1324 comments I want to Second Dragon Wing.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I second Sea of Rust.

message 14: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Steve wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu for fantasy, please! (:"

ooooh I so want to read that one too! :)

message 15: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 130 comments Nightshades by Melissa F. Olson for fantasy.

message 16: by Freya (new)

Freya (freyafreya) I'd like to nominate Sirius for sci-fi. I've always been meaning to read it! :)

message 17: by Ernesto I. (new)

Ernesto I. Ramirez (montalve) | 6 comments I nominate "Broken Angels" from Richard Morgan and #2 from Takeshi Kovacs trilogy

message 18: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva | 14 comments I second The Grace of Kings.

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikenl) I would like to nominate The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark for Fantasy please.

message 20: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Ryan Norman wrote: "Can i nominate - Autonomous by Annalee Newitz. Read some good reviews and looking forward to reading it"

This book is not eligible as it made it to the polls last month.

message 21: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 2065 comments Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher for fantasy, please.

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 158 comments Shawnie wrote: "Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher for fantasy, please."

I just picked this up for a good price at Chapters!

message 23: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (fogjuice) | 191 comments Sea of Rust looks interesting. I'll second that one.

message 24: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1667 comments Mod
I second Beyond Redemption. One of the best series (we'll the first 2 books anyways) that I've encountered in years. It is almost impossible to describe but easy to understand if you read it. So good.

message 25: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 2065 comments sir Lancer wrote: "I second Beyond Redemption. One of the best series (we'll the first 2 books anyways) that I've encountered in years. It is almost impossible to describe but easy to understand if you read it. So good."

Your review is one of the reasons I nominated! Sounds awful and amazing in one. lol

message 26: by Mike (new)

Mike Curtis | 117 comments I would like to nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North for fantasy please.

message 27: by Mike (new)

Mike Curtis | 117 comments If we are looking for nominations to round out the sci-fi side, I'll nominate Foundation by Asimov. It is a sci-fi classic that I have never gotten around to reading.

message 28: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Mike wrote: "If we are looking for nominations to round out the sci-fi side, I'll nominate Foundation by Asimov. It is a sci-fi classic that I have never gotten around to reading."

Foundation was a group read a while back...

message 29: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1368 comments Mike wrote: "I would like to nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North for fantasy please."

Interesting choice to put that in as a fantasy, I'd always thought of it as science fiction - didn't it get nominated for a few of the big sci-fi awards? Good book either way, I enjoyed it a lot and keep meaning to read some of the author's other novels.

message 30: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 81 comments Can I nominate The Black Lung Captain for sci-fi please

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1150 comments Good choice Lynne. I'll second Black Lung Captain

message 32: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 3049 comments Mod
sci fi

The Demolished Man

gonna keep trying every other month!

message 33: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 3048 comments Mod
Age of Swords for fantasy

message 34: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 15 comments Can I second Autonomous by Annalee Newitz

message 35: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 15 comments sorry just read the rest of the feed. in which case I'll support Broken Angels

message 36: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Vinca wrote: "Mike wrote: "I would like to nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North for fantasy please."

Interesting choice to put that in as a fantasy, I'd always though..."

yup, i'll switch it to science fiction

message 37: by Milou (new)

Milou Ill also second Sea of Rust (just picked it up on sale from audible)

message 38: by Mike (new)

Mike Curtis | 117 comments Roger wrote: "Vinca wrote: "Mike wrote: "I would like to nominate The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North for fantasy please."

Interesting choice to put that in as a fantasy, I'd..."

Putting it in science fiction works for me.

message 39: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I'm going to give it a few more hours, then close the nominations and make a poll

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Wayland wrote: "sci fi

The Demolished Man

gonna keep trying every other month!"

second that

message 41: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
seeing as they're still open, can I nominate The Long Earth for SF please

message 42: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Since we are one short on Fantasy I will add one from our series list, The Shotgun Arcana

message 43: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Nominations closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.