What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Kids/YA: hippie mom, daughter live in van/caravan, one day her mom decides to stay in one place and enroll her in school, maybe van on cover?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:30AM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Ok this maybe children's/ young adults

ok its about this girl who lives with her hippy mom. They don't live in a house but a caravan/ van

(i don't remember properly but her name was something like Rain/ summer or something unique like that? And think that may have the title aswell?)

But one day her mom decides to stay in one place and enrolls her in a school.

She becomes friend with a boy who likes football/ soccer but later gets into a major leg injury. She goes to the boys house often and i think likes the dad.

the cover is of a van i think with flowers and hippy stuff.

message 2: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Not any of that.

they live in VAN! She's a HIPPY! They move to a new town. =]

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Pukingrainbows wrote: "Not any of that."

Not any of that what?

When did you read this (what year)? Was it an older book or a new one at the time you read it?

message 4: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Around 2009/2010

It might have been new

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments You said "maybe children's/ young adults" -- do you have any memory of how long the book was, or maybe what age it was aimed at? Was it a chapter book?

message 6: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:26PM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Michele wrote: "You said "maybe children's/ young adults" -- do you have any memory of how long the book was, or maybe what age it was aimed at? Was it a chapter book?"

hi please will you try to help me further?

it more or less was a children's book. yeh i think it was a chapter book, around 180-200 pages. The author may have been British. the key things i remember is :

• The mom is definitely a hippy/gypsy
• She and her daughter (whose name is something unique like Rain/Summer/Jazz)travel around in van/caravan
• dad is not there throughout the book
• The mom decides to settle down for once in a new town
• Enrolls the daughter in a school
• There she makes a friend who just happens to be a boy
• The boy is in a football/soccer team. His dad is the coach
•Towards the end of the book the boy breaks his leg, a guy steps on it

it may not have many ratings on here, so probably little have heard of it.also i said it was new but it may have come on a later date.

message 7: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:32PM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments IT sounds alot like Dizzy by Cathy Cassidy but it's not because the girl has lived with the dad then meets the mom. Where as the girl in this book has only ever lived with the mom and i don't think the dad is even mentioned.

It also sounds like Schooled but obviously the character is boy. And has lived with his grandmother.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Dizzy for the click for that one. Who is the author of Schoold?

This one is kind of a classic, about a gypsy girl: The Diddakoi.

message 9: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Aug 02, 2014 03:34PM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Gordon Korman

Ah ok, its not that either.

message 10: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments How Not to Be Popular has hippie parents who enroll their daughter in school, but the dad is there so I guess not...
Maybe Karma for Beginners?

message 11: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Westcoast_girl wrote: "How Not to Be Popular has hippie parents who enroll their daughter in school, but the dad is there so I guess not...
Maybe Karma for Beginners?"

thank you for the help :D :D:D:D

Not any of those either
The boy she friends is in the same school as her btw.

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4843 comments Pukingrainbows, do you remember if the story is set in the 60s?

message 13: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Tab wrote: "Pukingrainbows, do you remember if the story is set in the 60s?"

hmm, ahha i don't think it was. But im not 100% sure :/

message 14: by Holly (last edited May 14, 2016 10:48PM) (new)

message 16: by Lord (new)

Lord Trotsky | 7 comments This may be nearly 4 years too late but, I think this is Rain by Paul May,

message 17: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Rain - Lord's suggestion.

message 18: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Devine | 156 comments Not likely your book, but just in case:
I Never Said I Loved You
The premise is similar, but this is an old book from the 70s...new girl in school, traveling in a van a bunch of hippies, meets a jock etc. etc. Her name is Alice, though.

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15752 comments Still looking for this one? Was it Rain?

message 20: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15752 comments Still out there?

message 21: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Rain sounds like the correct book to me. If I remember correctly Daniel played soccer but wasn't one of the cool kids who played more someone other team mates tolerated.