What is Life without books discussion

Archive 2019 > Books the Review Team Really Love

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 971 comments Mod
I've read some books from independent authors that I thought were exceptional. I'm sure you have too. Use this thread to share those books with the group so everyone can read them and hopefully review them.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

I'll start the fun by listing two fantastic books.

The first is When The Sky Falls When the Sky Falls ( Sky Fall #1) by Joseph Bendoski by Joseph Bendoski. It's a thriller that really relates to the current state of the media in the U.S. and the corruption in the FBI, Justice Dept., etc. It's so timely and accurate it almost reads as a true crime thriller. I absolutely loved the book. The general concept is what the author calls sky fall events being used to manipulate stock markets, elections etc. A sky fall event is what Orsen Wells created with The War of the Worlds. Pure mass hysteria.

The next is 60 Ways To Die In South America 60 Ways to Die in South America by Tracy Ashworth by Tracy Ashworth. Nothing I say can do this book justice. It is the funniest thing I've ever read. I mean tears running down my face having to put my kindle down because I'm laughing so hard funny. It's about a newspaper reporter with an anxiety disorder who's company downsizes. She has the option of losing her job at the paper or becoming a travel blogger for 60 days in South America. She chooses South America. Let the fun begin! This is a book I will read over and over.

message 3: by Lydia (last edited Jun 07, 2018 08:36PM) (new)

Lydia I would like to list The Dawsons The Dawsons by Lydia Casablanca by yours truly and my twin sister Santina Casablanca. Our debut novel is a forbidden love, fantasy, romance novel. I have placed the blurb here for you. I hope you like what you read and are interested in wanting to know more. Thanks! :)

Witnessing the horrific demise of everyone he knew and loved has made Derrick Dawson strong, but it has also made him cold and broken. Tormented by his past and fears for the future, Derrick drowns himself in alcohol and drugs to dull the pain he can’t seem to escape. When Rose, the granddaughter of his sworn enemy, suddenly appears in his life, his world turns upside down. The wall he has built to protect his heart is crumbling. Will Derrick ignore what he feels or will he let the wall fall?

Francesco has felt alone and miserable all his life. The loss of his family and the harshness he receives from his constantly intoxicated older brother has left a void inside him that he thought he would never fill. Until a young princess named Rosa stumbles into him and changes his life forever. There’s only one thing that stands in his way—King Antonio has forbidden Rosa to have anything to do with a Dawson.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

I just read The War of the Roses by Warren Adler. What a fantastic book! Of course I've seen the movie more times than I can count but had never read the book. Everyone knows the movie will go down as a classic but I have to say the book is SO MUCH better.

If you haven't seen the movie it's a dark comedy starring Micheal Douglas and Kathleen Turner who are going through one heck of a messy divorce.

What I loved about the book is you really get into the minds of these two characters and slowly go down the rabbit hole with them. I thought cleaning the toilet with my ex-husbands tooth brush was a little payback. These two take it to a level I can't imagine ever thinking of.

The War of the Roses by Warren Adler

Warren Adler is one of the best American writers of our time. Give this book a read and you'll be hooked.