Support for Indie Authors discussion

Ebook Publishing > Glitches in KDP & Author Central

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments KDP says a book's updates will be published within 72 hours. An author friend published a new book and then updated it. I waited over 3 days to purchase it and received the original version, not the updated one. As an author, this concerns me and I contacted Amazon. I don't think this is unusual. How long does it really take to update, I wonder?

Also, I noticed that Author Central tends to remove spaces between words when you try to save a book's description. It's been doing this for years. I finally contacted them about this as well. I've bolded or italicized in the descriptions too and they haven't taken. Even months later. I added a long review in the review section and it never appeared on the book page, yet is visible on Author Central. Ahhhhhhhh!

Has anyone else had issues like these and have you contacted Amazon?

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
For some reason this posted six times. I removed the extra five.

message 3: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Dwayne wrote: "For some reason this posted six times. I removed the extra five."

Thank you!

message 4: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments I remember having a hard time formatting the description for both Author Central and while updating through KDP. I ended up removing ALL carriage returns, putting HTML tags, then I checked that it looked all right by using Sigil.

There are sites that help format a description and check what it will look like. But I agree, it's quite non-intuitive to make the description look decent on Amazon through both Author Central and KDP.

I haven't had to update the manuscript so I have no idea if it's common for the "true" update to really take 72 hours. If your friend had it bookmarked, maybe he was still pointing to the old version. It's like when I update my website, if I don't do a refresh, I often don't see my updates.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Any time I've updated a book, I've asked them to push the new version to my Kindle so I can review the changes. I've never had an issue with the wrong version showing up. It is possible that it took longer to publish the changes. Also,did you purchase the book previously? If you've already got the book and you return or delete it, when you repurchase, you'll get your same file back, even if an update was made.

message 6: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Christina wrote: "Any time I've updated a book, I've asked them to push the new version to my Kindle so I can review the changes. I've never had an issue with the wrong version showing up. It is possible that it too..."

Maybe that's part of the problem. I did purchase it originally and then returned it when I knew it was being updated and purchased it again.

On the Author Central issue, I'll notice sometimes on a book's product page that the description has spaces missing between words. I think that happens on Author Central when writers change the description. I've seen it happen for my own books. It just seems to be a glitch.

message 7: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Any time I've updated a book, I've asked them to push the new version to my Kindle so I can review the changes. I've never had an issue with the wrong version showing up. It is possible that it too..."
About this, when I look in "manage my content and devices" and look at the list of books I bought, some have a button like "update available" or something, so you probably need to update manually.

message 8: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Yes, sometimes there's an update update button. Since I had returned this book and re-bought it about a week later, there wasn't a button and I got the older version again. I thought that was the easier option since it was only .99 cents.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Maher (angelajmaher) | 43 comments I made updates to a book that never went live. I published through a company other than Amazon, but they confirmed the updated files had gone through. Even those readers who had selected to get updated versions of books didn't get it.
I have also noticed that I never get updated versions of any of the books I've downloaded any more. I used to get a book float to the top of the pile every now and then due to updated content but I haven't seen it happen in ages.

message 10: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments Tomas wrote: "Christina wrote: "Any time I've updated a book, I've asked them to push the new version to my Kindle so I can review the changes. I've never had an issue with the wrong version showing up. It is po..."

As soon as I read this, I went to check my contents to see if any books I bought had this "Update available". 2 or 3 books did. I uploaded an update to my manuscript yesterday (a few typos). Once I get the email that the update is available, I'll be sure to check if I get that button and report back. Up to 72 hours for validation... up to 72 hours to be available everywhere... so I may only be reporting in a week!

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Okay,I see some confusion here about updates. When an author updates a book, as soon as it is live, anyone who purchases or downloads that book as a new customer will have the new version.

However,for folks who already purchased the book, there are a multitude of things that can happen:

1. The author may not ever alert Amazon to the changes, therefore the book will not be updated at all. This means that unless you have knowledge that a book has changed and ask Amazon directly through customer service for an update, you will never see the new version.

2. The author makes changes that Amazon deems significant. When this happens, Amazon will push the update to everyone who bought the book. This means that if you have automatic updates turned on, it will update automatically, and you won't know there was a change unless you reread it. If you do not have automatic updates turned on, you will see on your manage content page a button that says update available next to the title. At one time, they emailed, but I don't think they do that anymore.

3. The author makes a change Amazon doesn't consider significant enough to oush. If a change is something Amazon considers minor, they will not push the update. In this instance, you will see the update available button whether you have automatic updates turned on or not.

4. Amazon may decide not to do any of the above if they think the changes are very insignificant. In this instance, the reader would again have to know there was a new version and contact customer service for a new version.

Keep in mind, this only applies to content changes. Cover changes are done automatically and the cover version you see will depend greatly on the device you are using (my Kindle fire keeps the cover I purchased on books in my library while my Android app updates to what's on the market) and whether or not this was accompanied by content updates.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Lori-Ann wrote: "I uploaded an update to my manuscript yesterday (a few typos). Once I get the email that the update is available, I'll be sure to check if I get that button and report back."

Unless you contact support and ask them to push the update to customers and they agree the changes are significant, you will never see the update. Authors have to be proactive for this to happen.

message 13: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
I just looked at my settings, I have auto updates on and still, the four books that have an update available were not doing it automatically. I guess the changes were really minor, maybe typo fixes or something like that. I manually updated two of them just to see if it works (and how fast) even though I am not likely to re-read them in the next half-year at least.

message 14: by James (new)

James Corkill | 12 comments On the subject of book descriptions.
You should never use author central for your descriptions. They almost never look right. The best way is to do them is in your bookshelf.

message 15: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments James wrote: "On the subject of book descriptions.
You should never use author central for your descriptions. They almost never look right. The best way is to do them is in your bookshelf."

That's true but you can't bold or italicize that way.

message 16: by Ken (last edited Jun 13, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments D. wrote: "That's true but you can't bold or italicize that way.
..."

Yes, you can. Just use HTML tags for bold and italics.

message 17: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Ken wrote: "D. wrote: "That's true but you can't bold or italicize that way.
..."

Yes, you can. Just use HTML tags for bold and italics."

I don't know how to do that.

message 18: by Steven (last edited Jun 13, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Steven Nedeau | 28 comments (b) The text you want to be bold here (/b)
(i) The text you want to be italic here (/i)
(br) this means jump to next line or skip a line

Replace every ( above with <
and ) with >

I tried to just write it out but this editor follows the commands for html.

Try it out here, retype and hit preview.....

message 19: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Steven wrote: "(b) The text you want to be bold here (/b)
(i) The text you want to be italic here (/i)
(br) this means jump to next line or skip a line

Replace every ( above with <
and ) with >

I tried to just ..."

Thanks!

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Johnston (katherinejohnstonbooks) | 9 comments Thanks for starting this thread,...I hope your problems are resolved! I thought I was the only having hiccups with book descriptions!!! 😀

message 21: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments What I learned with my first book description is:

Not.To.Use.Carriage.Returns.

Avoid those like the plague. That will often look like the description is double spaced. I found it's very quirky.

message 22: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 180 comments Steven, that was so helpful!

Now my problem is that I keep adding a review in the review section but it won't show on the book page.