Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > The other Jen's European vacation

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments Home country = Canada
Traveling to: Heathrow
Location of updates: I will be posting mainly on Goodreads but also Litsy.

Current location: Italy
Currently reading: To Each His Own
Current score: 6: Henley Regatta (2), Ghent street festival (2), Belgium 1001 book (1), France 1001 book (1)

Create Your Own Visited European Countries Map

message 2: by Jen (last edited Aug 04, 2018 05:00AM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments travel plan:

Start UK - Under the Net / Moon Tiger
Belgium - The Parable Of The Blind own
France - Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - own
Italy - To Each His Own - own
Slovenia - A Day in Spring - borrowed?
(Croatia - The Museum of Unconditional Surrender - own)
(Hungary - The Melancholy of Resistance - buy)
Austria - The Piano Teacher - own
(Ukraine - Suite Française / The Passion According to G.H.- own both)
(Czech* - The Unbearable Lightness of Being - lib)
(Poland - The Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman - own)
Germany- Berlin Alexanderplatz - buy

End - Canada - Fall on Your Knees - lib or The First Garden - buy

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I have a PDF of Georg Hennig if you want.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Kelly wrote: "I have a PDF of Georg Hennig if you want."

Kelly that would be amazing!! Thank you, I've had no luck finding a copy to date. I'll message you.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I have a PDF of Georg Hennig if you want."

Kelly that would be amazing!! Thank you, I've had no luck finding a copy to date. I'll message you."

Please send me a message with your email.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I sent it to your email. It is on Google and so it is a link. Unfortunately it shows sideways on my screen...

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Kelly wrote: "I sent it to your email. It is on Google and so it is a link. Unfortunately it shows sideways on my screen..."

thank you Kelly!

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Oooh, I'd trade you On the Heights of Despair (I can send soon) for A Day in Spring (when you're done reading it).

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Liz M wrote: "Oooh, I'd trade you On the Heights of Despair (I can send soon) for A Day in Spring (when you're done reading it)."

Liz i'll message you

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Thanks for the map idea, Charisma!

I finally made it to Heathrow and navigated my way from terminal 2 to Paddington station via the airport express train. I lived in London for ten years before settling in Eastern Canada so I know my way around and will spend some time here catching up with old friends.

Before I set off on my European travels I'm spending some time with my elderly aunt Claudia, who is hospitalized in London. She penned her memoir, Moon Tiger, which is not a list book but a contender for the Golden Man Booker and a book I've been meaning to read for ages. Claudia's a great storyteller and she's nearing the end so I will hang around for a few days - though I'll squeeze in a visit to Henley for the regatta before leaving.

message 11: by Jen (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:49AM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments I've had a great time in England and enjoyed aunt Claudia's company very much. I even managed to fit in a visit to Henley Regatta where I enjoyed my gin and lemonade (with traditional mint and cucumber). I've posted a photo of my Pimms-style creation on Litsy (@allthebooks).

Review of Moon Tiger: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Off to Heathrow tomorrow, next stop Belgium! (and here's hoping the book I ordered arrives soon...)

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments So, I had some issues with flights and ended up taking the Eurostar to Brussels. More reading time!

The book I've been waiting for finally arrived - The Parable Of The Blind by Gert Hofmann - and I had a bit of worry when I read up on it and realized the author is German and the location is not explicit. But I've figured it out - the story is based on the famous painting of the same name, by Pieter Brugel the Elder (Dutch), and is a story of the figures in the painting traveling to Brugel's house to be painted. Brugel's biography confirms he was living in Belgium at the time (and for much of his life). So phew, this is in fact set in Belgium. I'm enjoying it so far.

Heading off to Ghent today to take in some of the street festival!

message 13: by Jen (last edited Jul 22, 2018 05:22PM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments The festival is in full swing in Ghent!

description

I made it just in time to hear a local band play a set inspired by the book I'm reading, The Parable Of The Blind, which tells the story of a group of six blind men who are rounded up and led to the house of Pieter Brugel to pose for his famous painting, The Blind Leading the Blind (or, Parable of the Blind). They are encouraged along the way to practice stumbling and falling.

Who knew there were so many great songs about loss of sight and falling down? Some of my favourites from the set include:

"Blind Leading the Blind" - Mick Jagger
"Falling Down" - Muse
"If I were a painting" - Willie Nelson
"Blind" - Talking Heads
"Catch me now I'm falling" - The Kinks
"Blind Man Blues" - Muddy Waters
"Stumble and Fall" - Razorlight

message 14: by Jen (last edited Jul 22, 2018 05:21PM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments I enjoyed my time in Belgium, most of which was spent in Flanders touring the home of Flemish Renaissance artist, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, whose famous painting De parabel der blinden was the inspiration for my reading on this part of my travels - The Parable Of The Blind.

Here's link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit...

And a closer look at the painting:

De parabel der blinden

message 15: by Jen (last edited Jul 22, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Jen | 111 comments Before catching the train for France today I had time for a bit of sightseeing in Brussels. I went to the Grand Place to see first hand Pieter the Elder's art, hanging in the Brussels City Museum (in the Grand Place). They have his copy of The Wedding Cortege:

description

I also walked around the corner from the Grand Place to the Kapellekerk (Church of our Lady of the Chapel), where Pieter the Elder is buried:

description

Off to Paris now, with a copy of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer in tow!

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I need to consult with BW about the landmark points. I'm putting "pending" in the scoreboard until we have a final answer for you.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Jen wrote: "I need to consult with BW about the landmark points. I'm putting "pending" in the scoreboard until we have a final answer for you."

OK great, thanks!

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
So... we are going to reject those landmark points. A good effort, but not a strong enough connection between your book and the landmark.

Sorry, we are being really strict this year (we've rejected lots of people).

If you do want to try again with a non-list book, you can do so in order to pick up the landmark points.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Jen wrote: "So... we are going to reject those landmark points. A good effort, but not a strong enough connection between your book and the landmark.

Sorry, we are being really strict this year (we've rejecte..."

OK no problem, I had fun looking for a connection - I planned to read the book regardless.

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Jen wrote: "So... we are going to reject those landmark points. A good effort, but not a strong enough connection between your book and the landmark.

Sorry, we are being really strict this year (w..."

It was a really good effort. We were tempted. Glad you had fun looking for the connection

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Have you begun Perfume yet? How is it. The title is appealing to me.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Kelly wrote: "Have you begun Perfume yet? How is it. The title is appealing to me."

I've only just started (and might put it aside for a bit to read a book that needs to be returned to my aunt!) but it pulled me in right away. It sets up what promises to be an eerie / gothic tale.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I will look forward to your review!

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments I had a wonderful time on my Olfactory tour of Paris, visiting Le Grand Musee du Parfum:

description

And one of the earliest perfume houses, Houbigant:
description

Being Paris, some smells are particularly delicious:

description

Others, less so. Reading Perfume: The Story of a Murderer I'm reminded how far we've come in managing urban sewage and hygiene - and in forensic sciences. My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

Time to hop on the train for Sicily. With my now well honed sleuthing skills, I've been asked to assist in a local disappearance. As long as they are providing eggplant stew and cannoli, I'm game for anything!