Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > August Classic Novel Discussion Topic Selection Complete

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in August (beginning August 1, or as soon thereafter as my head clears and the bowl games wrap up.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories (or anthologies of short stories) every second month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for August. Dreamsnake has already been selected as our July Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, June 14, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Book Nerd (new)

Book Nerd (book_nerd_1) | 154 comments Again I'll nominate a favorite of mine.

Dead Girls by Richard Calder
Dead Girls

It's easiest to get as a trilogy: Dead Girls, Dead Boys, Dead Things

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Not sure if this could pass as a nomination but since I will be reading it anyway: Armageddon Rag by George RR Martin.

message 4: by RJ - Slayer of Trolls (last edited Jun 10, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I heard they made a movie out of it

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) You haven't read Harry Potter, Randy? *gasp

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Silvana wrote: "You haven't read Harry Potter, Randy? *gasp"

What? Like he's a big deal or something? ;-)

message 8: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Heretical opinion: the first few harry potter books are the strongest, even though they're aimed pretty strictly at children, and the series tumbles sharply in quality after that. The later books are an utter mess.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Brendan wrote: "The later books are an utter mess. "

Interesting. That was my opinion of the movies also. Once the guy who was missing his nose showed up the whole thing went downhill. I liked the third movie the best - directed by Cuaron if I recall.

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Third book and movie are my favorite too.

I might join for a reread if it wins. Probably high time I listen to the audiobook.

message 11: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments I'd say #3 and #4 were the highlights. The later books being the aforementioned mess (#5 is the worst, though #7 isn't great either), the earlier books being too child-focused.

message 12: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Donald wrote: "I'd say #3 and #4 were the highlights. The later books being the aforementioned mess (#5 is the worst, though #7 isn't great either), the earlier books being too child-focused."

My ranking would be:

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I thought 7 - the first part - was the most pointless movie I have ever seen. At least the second part had some action but the first part was 3 hours of nothing. I might have actually fallen asleep.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2808 comments Randy wrote: "I thought 7 - the first part - was the most pointless movie I have ever seen. At least the second part had some action but the first part was 3 hours of nothing. I might have actually fallen asleep."

Because of all the books, that was the one that should not have been split in more than one movie, probably any of the other books in the series might have actually worked. They did the same thing to the Twilight Saga (in fact I skipped that first half of the third movie entirely since gross pregnancies, well, gross me out, so that worked in my favour). It's become a "thing" to split the last movie to drag it out and make more money, without checking first if the last book had the right kind of content for splitting in that way.

message 15: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments Randy wrote: "I thought 7 - the first part - was the most pointless movie I have ever seen. At least the second part had some action but the first part was 3 hours of nothing. I might have actually fallen asleep."

I can't see how anyone could fall asleep in that one...

HP7 was the most in tents!

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I am liking the fact that this thread has become a place of HP rants.

Maybe we should have a group read of all HP series :))

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Donald wrote: "HP7 was the most in tents!"

Not sure I follow you.

message 18: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Silvana wrote: "
Maybe we should have a group read of all HP series :))"

No.

message 19: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments Randy wrote: "Donald wrote: "HP7 was the most in tents!"

Not sure I follow you."

A lot of HP7 was quite dull - not "intense".
The worst part (IMO) was the camping/hiding - "in tents".

Homophonic pun!

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 13, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

Silvana wrote: "Maybe we should have a group read of all HP series :))"

Sounds good, if 3 or more members want to do so & someone volunteers to lead (e.g., "Let's start book 3 next Tuesday.") We discussed the idea of doing a series before, but there wasn't any agreement on which series. So if there are 3 members who actually want to do Harry Potter, go for it.

Show of hands? (And what pace would you have in mind? One book a day/week/month? Slower?)

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

Reminder: Today, Thursday, is the final day to nominate a Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our July group read and discussion.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) G33z3r wrote: "Show of hands? (And what pace would you have in mind? One book a day/week/month? Slower?) "

Have you seen the size of some of the later books? One per quarter would be enough for me...

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2280 comments I'll nominate Lord Tyger by Philip José Farmer. We haven't read anything by him in this group that I can see & yet he's a grandmaster of SF. There are several editions of this book. It is available on Kindle & other formats for normal prices. Old editions can be pricey.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Randy wrote: "One per quarter would be enough for me... ..."

So, a two-year project....? Anyone else serious about this?

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2808 comments I have been meaning to re-read Harry Potter at some point. Wouldn't want to drag it out 2 years though, would do it in one. The books can get big but the writing style is light.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "I have been meaning to re-read Harry Potter at some point. Wouldn't want to drag it out 2 years though, would do it in one. The books can get big but the writing style is light."

You could start doing one a month for the first 3 books, then spread out the last 4 every other month for the later doorstops, and finish in a year.

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2808 comments G33z3r wrote: "You could start doing one a month for the first 3 books, then spread out the last 4 every other month for the later doorstops, and finish in a year."

That would work

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2018 08:35PM) (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. (For those who may have forgotten what this topic was about.) A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for August is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for August. Dreamsnake has already been selected as our July Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Thursday, June 21.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our August group read and discussion.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2808 comments Gonna be another runoff

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Announcement banner
Andrea wrote: "Gonna be another runoff"

As the original poll didn't produce a decisive choice, there is now a runoff poll between Dragonsbane and Lord Tyger. If you're interested in discussing one of these with the group, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

This poll will be open through Thursday, June 28.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the two remaining nominees with the group, today, Thursday, is the final day to vote for the Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel of your choice for our August group read and discussion.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected Classic Fantasy Novel discussion topic for August is...

Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) by Barbara Hambly Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly

The discussion will begin August 1.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.