Play Book Tag discussion

American Street
This topic is about American Street
June 2018: Magical Realism > American Street - Ibi Zoboi (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1453 comments American Street - Ibi Zoboi

3 1/2 stars

American Street is the story of a teenage immigrant from Haiti. Fabiola was born in the United States, but spent her entire life in Haiti. When her mother, who is not a citizen of the United States, decides to take her daughter and move to Detroit to help her sister the two are separated by immigration agents at the airport. Fabiola is sent on to complete the journey while her mother is placed in a detention facility in New Jersey. Fabiola must adjust to life in inner city Detroit with her aunt and three cousins while trying to find a way to get her mother released from custody.

I really liked this book. It was the kind of story that needs to be told. I liked the main character, Fabiola, and how the author incorporated magical realism elements related to Fabiola's religious beliefs. The author did a good job of highlighting the hard choices people are forced to make in poor urban communities. The book is from Fabiola's perspective. This is the book's strength as well as its weakness. It helped the reader see what it is like for a new immigrant in America and highlights the culture shock that people experience. But it also makes it hard for the reader to truly get to know the other characters in the book. Because it was hard for Fabiola to understand and relate to them, it was also hard for the reader to understand and relate to them. I really would have liked to understand some of them in a deeper manner.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments Your review makes the story sound really intriguing.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This does sound very interesting and, I agree, the kind of story that needs to be told.

Not MR, but I am also interested in reading In the Country We Love: My Family Divided, which is a nonfiction account of actress Diane Guerrero and her life before and after her parents were deported.