Play Book Tag discussion

How to Get Run Over by a Truck
This topic is about How to Get Run Over by a Truck
Archive: Other Books > How to Get Run Over by a Truck by Katie McKenna 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments How to Get Run Over by a Truck by Katie McKenna

I selected this book from a list of BOGOs from Audible a couple of weeks ago. There was a Nick Offerman book on that list that I wanted and this struck my fancy the most to be my free one.

When Katie was in her mid-twenties and living in Brooklyn, she set out on a morning bike ride to chase the sunrise. She took a turn and was run over by an eighteen-wheeler truck. The book is split into different parts: the accident and what happened immediately after, her recovery, and when she started her "new" life.

After reading other Goodreads reviews I would make the assumption that this is a much better audiobook than written. In the audiobook version, Katie herself narrates and she is a very good narrator. There were several points that you could tell she is still overcome with emotion and it makes it that much more poignant.

I got squeamish when she recounted how it felt and what she experienced while she was being run over and there were other points in the story I really wanted to fast-forward because I was just to empathetic (that's just me though and why I'm not a doctor or vet). She was very open in describing everything she went through, even recognizing when she was being selfish.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed the print book as much but I did enjoy the audio version. Katie did a really great narrating her story. There were times that I got goosebumps, I teared up... I could empathize with the feelings she was experiencing. I cried because of how sweet and touching acts of her family were.

I think what disappointed me and would probably disappoint most people is the conclusion/last few chapters/epilogue didn't really end it well. She addresses the outcome of her relationship with her boyfriend that she had during the experience but nothing about the people that helped her during those first moments before the ambulance arrived or the truck driver. IMO... if I'm writing a book, I would invest in the time and/or expense to try to find the people in order to be able to tie up loose ends. People like resolution and are unhappy if you leave them wanting at the end of story.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments The title has me interested in this. Adding to TBR. Thank-you for the review.