Shelf Indulgence Book Club discussion

June - When Dimple Met Rishi > SPOILERS Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks | 100 comments Mod
Let's discuss in detail. In this discussion spoilers are allowed.

Tricia (TellHerAStory) (tellherastory) | 35 comments So I started yesterday on this one, and I'm super excited to see where this goes but I'm a little disappointed in the writing style and structure so far.

Maybe because I just finished The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George, and the writing was so beautiful and evocative, but I'm feeling like the writing here is kinda stilted and clunky.

And I'm frustrated that with the switching of POVs (which I love in books like this) it is happening way too often. I don't like that we are in Dimple's POV and then get a small section only a couple paragraphs long in Rishi's POV.

Anyone else feeling like this?

message 3: by Erynne (new)

Erynne | 6 comments I didn't mind the mixed POVs, I feel liked it helped the story for me not to just be stuck in Dimple's head. Although I did find her somewhat annoying at times so that probably contributed to why I enjoyed also having Rishi's POV.

However I did feel like the characters came across as much younger than they were supposed to be. This is set the summer before they start college but while I was reading I kept accidentally picturing them as being closer to 15 than the age they were supposed to be. While I think the relationship is cute it seemed quite juvenile. Did anyone else see this?

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Jerles | 28 comments Hopefully I’ll be back to joining in next month. Life has been crazy for me these last few months! I did try to read When Dimple Met Rishi several months ago and DNF’ed it. I thought I would love it, but halfway through realized I just didn’t care for the plot. Depending on what y’all think when you finish, I might try again.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Jerles | 28 comments Erynn it definitely seemed juvenile to me too when I was reading it.

message 6: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

Julie wrote: "Hopefully I’ll be back to joining in next month. Life has been crazy for me these last few months! I did try to read When Dimple Met Rishi several months ago and DNF’ed it. I thought I would love i..."

I can understand not wanting to finish it. The story was cute but it wasn't anything spectacular. I also agree with it feeling juvenile. Hopefully you can join next month! We totally understand!

message 7: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

I listened to the audiobook and didn't mind the POV. The audiobook is narrated by a female voice for Dimple and a male voice for Rishi which I think really helped with the POV. I think if it was narrated by the same person I would have gotten confused with who's POV I was in. I also agree with it feeling juvenile and it was too instalove. Although, I will say the romance was cute and the characters are fun and goofy. My favorite characters were Celia and Ashish!