Persephone Books discussion

Guard Your Daughters > Finished reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Thoughts on finishing

message 2: by Tania (new)

Tania | 255 comments I loved this story. I did feel very sorry for Cressida, she didn't really fit in and was so worried about what others would think whereas the rest of the family didn't seem to care. I felt rather relieved by the ending. I was fond of the sisters and wanted things to come good for them.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Oh my goodness ! just finished reading Guard Your Daughters
I started off laughing at the start and had a tear in my eye at the ending :(
So strange how all the girls were allowed to wear make-up, smoke and drink alcohol and yet wasn't allowed to bring friend's back home without permission !
Teresa being the youngest ( 14 or 15 yrs) and Pandora being the eldest, i was shocked the mother acted the way she did, it's not like they were all under the age of ten.
The girls seem to have a love/hate relationship with their mother and so sad to think at the end they wouldn't be able to see her in the same way.
I was very disappointed by the Father Tom, i really felt he could of done something to prevent things getting so bad.
A strange book but i did enjoy reading it

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Yes Cressida did seem to take on a lot in the house without people really thanking her.
I was relieved by the ending too and happy the girls would go on to lead a better happier life

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Just read on the Persephone site that Diana Tutton wrote a sequel to Guard Your Daughters called Unguarded Moments which was never published.The setting being in London seven years after Mrs Harvey had a total breakdown and all the girls had moved out ; to freedom and their own lives.Morgan has married and had two children.In this novel , too, there is a dark side: one of her children disappears and is not found for a heart-stopping few hours.
I would of been very interested to have read this book too.

message 6: by Tania (new)

Tania | 255 comments I read about that book too. I'd love to read it. Perhaps one day someone will publish it. Sounds like there is a finished manuscript in existence.

message 7: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments I feel the ending is so underplayed - Cressida wants to die! The family is broken up. The parents completely wash their hands of the girls, girls who are completely unprepared for the real world, to concentrate on themselves some more. Its quite modern really.
Instead there is some 'tidying up', the girls go to the seaside for the Easter holidays and then... Cressida goes to college of Domestic Science, Thisbe and Morgan go to a hostel in London and maybe study at a Polytecnic and might marry, Teresa goes to join Pandora and might hook up with the girl next door and be persuaded to go to school with her.
These were the girls who thought dropping their hankerchief might attract a man! Sink or swim or what?????
Toast

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Ha ha :D yes the girls would of been so unprepared for their new adventures ! It was wrapped up very quickly but maybe thats because Diana knew she would be writing a sequel ?

message 9: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments Why didn't it get published?
Toast

message 10: by Tania (new)

Tania | 255 comments Hi Toast, I can't find any information on why it wasn't published, but I did hear the lovely people at 'Tea or Books' saying they hoped 'Guard Your Daughters' would become very popular so that Persephone would publish 'Unguarded Moments', I have no idea how possible that might be.

message 11: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments It does seem a little odd that we hope to find the answers to one book in the unpublished second. Maybe not having just reread that sentence. hehe It does seem odd it wasn't published though. By all accounts, this book was a success so presumably the publishers would have been pleased, if not eager, for a second, DT was writing it; I guess life got in the way. Hohum.
I would have thought this book would do very well for PB. It ticks all their boxes afterall. It will appeal to the US market, it has a very modern feel, it has that 'odd' English aristo-Bohemian family feel, deals with women and womenhood, methods of parenting, it is a rediscovery of a female author, it has a period date, it is well written etc.
Toast

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hello Tania and Toast : )
It would be wonderful if Persephone published Unguarded Moments.I really would be interested in what happens next

message 13: by Tania (new)

Tania | 255 comments Episode #47 of the 'Tea or Books' podcast is the one where they talk about 'Unguarded Moments' if you want to have a listen. You can find them on the 'Stuck In A Book' blog.

message 14: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 86 comments I thought that this book started off very light and funny, and slowly developed into something much darker. Not just in relation to the parents -- all the family seemed to have a troubled underside that came out slowly.

For example I loved Morgan at first, but as she started to come out of that little family bubble I realised how snobbish and judgmental she was. I'm not sure if this was intended or if it's just the view from 65 years later.

I'd still give it five stars. But it definitely took a direction that I wasn't expecting in the beginning.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hello Rosemary, yes i agree, it was a shock to me too !
There are many layers of humour mixed with sadness

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Thanks Tania : )

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hope you can join in again Toast on other buddy read : )

message 18: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments What's the next book?
Toast

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Toast wrote: "What's the next book?
Toast"
Hello Toast : )
It's Vain Shadow during July

message 20: by Toast (new)

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments Lovely Ta.
Toast

message 21: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) I so loved this book. It gave me all the feels!

Some od the girls might seem snobbish but I think it's the way they were raised. Towards the end, Morgan realises they are not special after all and are like everyone else.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Camille wrote: "I so loved this book. It gave me all the feels!

Some od the girls might seem snobbish but I think it's the way they were raised. Towards the end, Morgan realises they are not special after all and..."
Hello Camille, so happy you enjoyed this one