Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Books You Want Turned into Movies

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
What are the books you think would make fantastic movies? And as a bonus - who would you cast as the lead character?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
No theme here. Nope. None at all.

message 4: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown
Not sure about a third...

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen

The Way of Kings

Beyond Redemption

I will say Hollywood would F up one and three royally.

I think Ed Norton would be great as Fidler. Keith David Kellanved. It's a long list to do the entire cast.

Dalinar if this was 30 years ago Lee Marvin.

Whictig maybe a Bradley Cooper or Orlando Bloom.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson (view spoiler)

Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown

Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1) by Chris Wooding

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Scott wrote: "The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen

The Way of Kings

Beyond Redemption

I will say Hollywood would F up one and three royally."

Hollywood Fs up everything good. I was reluctant to post mine for that very reason.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Fun ideas.

I would be shocked if Red Rising doesn't make it to the screen at some point. It's really made for it.

Tales of the Ketty Jay would be great as a series. If that ended up on SciFi or HBO I'd be bumped. Those characters would be awesome.

Of the Sanderson books listed I think Mistborn Era 1 has the best shot of ever going that route. YA like or not is what the masses like.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments In a perfect world...a perfect, non F-up Hollywoood...

message 10: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I think most of these would be better as shows, like how they did Game of Thrones, and I know Sanderson is trying to make that happen.

I thought i heard Red Rising is already contracted for a movie. I could be wrong on that.

Edit* Never mind. I googled it and Red Rising's just optioned, just like Sanderson's stuff has been for years now. Means nothing.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments The rights for Red Rising had been sold for a movie adaptation but they have since resorted back to the author. Things are now in the works to bring it to television because, after working on a screenplay for a potential movie and seeing how much stuff would have to be truncated or left out altogether, the author came to the same conclusion: a tv series would be better. Who knows? Maybe the releases of the new trilogy will drum up interest again.

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I don't see why book 1 couldn't be a movie. The books after that include a lot more locations and complexity so perhaps break each into two movies. Book 1 for me was by far the weakest. I almost quit the series after it but the second half was so much better than the first I continued. The first 50 pages in particular read so utterly flat.

message 13: by Veronica (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I have no idea who I'd cast for two of mine. Kaladin is hard for me to pin down. I've had Captain Darian Frey cast since the moment I met him on the page.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Veronica wrote: "I have no idea who I'd cast for two of mine. Kaladin is hard for me to pin down. I've had Captain Darian Frey cast since the moment I met him on the page.

"

He does fit but I hate reusing characters already playing a similar role. It's like everybody choosing Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) for every similar role of the last twenty years.

message 15: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I really hope mistborn would be made but it seems the people who currently the rights of the cosmere are going forward with way of kings which might be good if they can pull it off I would have gone for mistborn to be honest

However my main concern is that they do the dark universe route with the mummy since they tried to squeeze in that it was going to be an entire universe in the first film and hopefully they don’t fall down that path because this series has potential to pick up like the marvel universe

message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments 1. Red Rising Trilogy - Agree that it's ready made for movies

2. Children of Time - I can imagine the suspense and horror when the moviegoers get to see who the main characters really are for the first time!

3. The Broken Earth Trilogy - would be awesome to see this made as movies as well. I think the story is quite powerful.

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Veronica wrote: "I have no idea who I'd cast for two of mine. Kaladin is hard for me to pin down. I've had Captain Darian Frey cast since the moment I met him on the page.

"

YES. Killian = Frey.

message 18: by Silvana (last edited Jun 07, 2018 11:58PM) (new)

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments Silvana wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I have no idea who I'd cast for two of mine. Kaladin is hard for me to pin down. I've had Captain Darian Frey cast since the moment I met him on the page.

"

YES. Killian = Frey."

High five! :-)

message 20: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "City of Stairs
Retribution Falls
Promise of Blood

Honorary mention: God's War"

OOH powder mage would make a fabulous and unique movie.. I'm not sure the world would know what hit it!

message 21: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I can't decide. Likely because I cringe any time a book is made to a movie or tv show. It worked for ASOIAF but most don't have that amazing budget

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "I can't decide. Likely because I cringe any time a book is made to a movie or tv show. It worked for ASOIAF but most don't have that amazing budget"

And even that they cut corners on the wolf CGI so they could put the funds into the dragons. I'm not complaining with the result but still imagine if they did the same for the wolves.

Expanse was well done on a modest budget.

message 23: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Warcross- love to see the interpretation of the virtual reality
Rosie project- Funny to see on TV
The President is Missing- would love to see where it would take place and how they would show the hearings