75 Books...More or Less! discussion

2016-2022 Chat > Ereaders

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I was wondering about people’s opinion on ereaders. Do you use one eg kobo or kindle.

What do you like about it and why did you choose that particular ereader. I am trying to decide if I want one or not.

Currently using iPad but do not wish to lug it around. I can use phone for audiobooks but I don’t like reading on my phone as it can be very tiny. I know I can enlarge text. Anyhow I like to hear what people think. I also thinking iPod as well but not sure.

Thanks

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I use my iPad Mini because I have ebooks from several sources and an iPad can use all the needed apps. If I ever go get a dedicated reader it will be a Kindle (my sister has a paperwhite and I like it a lot because I prefer the Kindle reader app and Amazon's free cloud storage of purchased books.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8025 comments Mod
I had the original Kindle and then upgraded when the Paperwhite came out for the backlight! But alas, I don't use either one anymore. lol. Too many books automatically downloaded to my Kindle so now it's too full. I basically only use the Kindle app on my phone now.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "I had the original Kindle and then upgraded when the Paperwhite came out for the backlight! But alas, I don't use either one anymore. lol. Too many books automatically downloaded to my Kindle so no..."

Yes that’s what I like about using my iPad is the different apps that I can use. It’s just not convenient for travel.

Thanks

message 5: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "Yes that’s what I like about using my iPad is the different apps that I can use. It’s just not convenient for travel.

Thanks..."

Maybe just get an iPad mini! I've never heard anything good about Kobo readers. :/

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Yes that’s what I like about using my iPad is the different apps that I can use. It’s just not convenient for travel.

Thanks..."

Maybe just get an iPad mini! I've never heard anyt..."

One iPad is enough I think, I haven’t heard much about kobo only kindle, everyone who has used the kindle love it.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments I love my Kindle Paperwhite... so light and convenient for travel. I also like that it doesn't strain my eyes at night. And you can access Goodreads through it.

It's no good for ebooks with pictures or detailed maps etc though, since it has no colour and you can't zoom in that well.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments I am too scared of technology to use a kindle..., but if I have to, I use the cloud kindle thingy on my computer. Someone has to drag me into the 21st century.

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I've got an iPad 2 I use at home (wasn't the newest model when I bought it but I wanted the larger screen) and I use my iPhone for on-the-go and that's worked nicely for me so far. I like that I can use several apps on there. Scribd mostly, but also Overdrive for library ebooks & audio. For in-app-purchase and books I've bought from the Smashwords store I use iBooks, and then there's occasionally something that's only available on Kindle. If I'm interested enough I'll get it from there but for owned books I usually use iBooks.

I might give Kobo a try yet. I know several people who use that and like it. I know they're more popular in countries outside the USA because they didn't have a retail partner for that country, but a little while back they made a deal with US Walmart to bring them back to the country. No idea when that's going to take effect.

I found out recently that Kobo devices are black-and-white only so I'd probably stick to the app on my phone. Something about storage space or something. I know they give you a few dollars credit for joining and you can earn points on in-app purchases.

For now, I'm good with my phone and iPad. I actually read a lot of ebooks, so I use them both a lot. Especially Scribd.

message 10: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
I have had a couple of Kindle's. I absolutely love mine and could not live without it. I use it to read and listen to books. I use it to watch YouTube, scroll through Facebook, and read email. I love how lightweight it is and because of the low cost I travel with it and don't worry about anything happening to it. I hesitate to travel with my very expensive ipad.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "I have had a couple of Kindle's. I absolutely love mine and could not live without it. I use it to read and listen to books. I use it to watch YouTube, scroll through Facebook, and read email. I lo..."

I have the OG Kindle and a Kindle Paperwhite. OG is now my husband's, which he doesn't use. And The Paperwhite is too full because it's my default when I buy ebooks. So I don't use it. lol. I use the PC Kindle app and the Android Kindle app religiously. I have the OG iPad that is only used for audiobooks (sometimes) and some eARCs where I can't change the font and it's too small. lol. My iPod Touch is only used for audiobooks and ebooks as well. Once I switched to a smartphone, all other electronics fell to the wayside! I do use my laptop a lot. lol. I even have an iPod Nano that lives in my car, when I'm not listening to audiobooks in the car, I'm listening to my very dated iPod playlist. haha!!

message 12: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I thought about getting myself the Paperwhite for the pool. However, not buying it forces me to work through more of my paper books during the summer months. When we travel I need a book for each day. So if I bring 4-5 books I'm okay. I reserve my paper books for the pool/beach and only read from my kindle at night. I also usually travel with my mother and sister so we swap books when we run out. You know you are truly a reading addict when certain parts of your life revolve around reading and how you get reading done throughout the day.

message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "I thought about getting myself the Paperwhite for the pool. However, not buying it forces me to work through more of my paper books during the summer months. When we travel I need a book for each d..."

I totally agree, when reading outdoors, in the sun, a physical book is necessary. Even with my Paperwhite, I still enjoy reading a physical book outside!

message 14: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) I love my original kindle, my Kindle fire, the Kindle app on my IPad mini and the kindle app on my phone. For the most part, they sync well so if I pick up one, it will open where I left off on the other. I want the paperwhite, but can't justify adding another. Elyse said too many books downloaded, but there must be a setting somewhere that controls that, I've never had that issue.
Sorry to be late to the conversation, just scrolling the topics while waiting for a fantasy football draft...

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Drew wrote: "I love my original kindle, my Kindle fire, the Kindle app on my IPad mini and the kindle app on my phone. For the most part, they sync well so if I pick up one, it will open where I left off on the..."

There's only 4GB of space on my Kindle Paperwhite. It's full because every e-book I buy gets directly downloaded to it. Obviously I can access my whole library through the Kindle apps on my iPad, iPod. and Google Pixel. But my Kindle itself is full and no more e-books can be downloaded to it. 2000+ e-books will do that. lol. So I can't use it to read anything current or any Overdrive e-books. It's literally just my electronic library now. lol

message 16: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse, you need to read some of those books...hahah

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "Elyse, you need to read some of those books...hahah"

Whaaaat? No kidding. lol. Buuut they don't take up any physical space so I will forever keep buying more! lol

message 18: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

True :)

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I've been meaning to mention that I switched to Kobo earlier this year, and I'm really liking it so far. There's been some great price drops and discount codes since I joined.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Shelby wrote: "I've been meaning to mention that I switched to Kobo earlier this year, and I'm really liking it so far. There's been some great price drops and discount codes since I joined."

Can you add apps to it, like borrowbox and Libby etc . And audiobooks?

message 21: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Joanne wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I've been meaning to mention that I switched to Kobo earlier this year, and I'm really liking it so far. There's been some great price drops and discount codes since I joined."

Can ..."

I don't have the device, just the app on my phone and tablet.

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Shelby wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I've been meaning to mention that I switched to Kobo earlier this year, and I'm really liking it so far. There's been some great price drops and discount codes since I..."

Oh ok 👍

message 23: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Joanne wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I've been meaning to mention that I switched to Kobo earlier this year, and I'm really liking it so far. There's been some great price drops and discoun..."

One of the many audiobook deals they had over the summer was The Cruel Prince for $5.99 and every few months there’s been pretty good coupon codes such as half off an audiobook of your choice.

message 24: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like Overdrive and didn't like the reading experience. I discovered an app called My Must Reads through an indie bookstore that I frequent and the reading experience is great. Unfortunately, not that many of my other indie stores that I frequent are associated with that app.

What I can't figure out is whether or not I can read any eBook format (except of course Kindle because they are proprietary) on that app. Does anyone have any experience with My Must Reads?

I also noticed that a common format is Kobo and most indie stores will sell eBooks in that format. So ....
(1) Is Kobo proprietary? Aka do I need to use the Kobo reader or app?
(2) Can Kobo format be reformatted into other eBook formats?
(3) How is the Kobo reading experience?
(4) What do we know about Kobo in terms of relationship with bookstores, how they treat their employees etc? I am afraid I'd be going from one big conglomerate (Amazon) to another (Kobo).

message 25: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like Overdrive and didn't like th..."

Kobo is their own company with their own app. They just started their own ebook subscription, but I don’t know if it’s better for authors like Scribd or if it’s like kdp select. As far as I know them and Apple Books support authors but beyond that I couldn’t say.

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like Overdrive and didn't like th..."

I know nothing about Kobo except that it's their own company, they were just partnering with Borders when it was still open. I have never heard of My Must Reads. And any PDF apps I've used are garbage; Bluefire Reader, Adobe Digital Editions, Ebook Reader wherein there isn't enough maneuverability (ie. changing font size, zooming, etc), not very user-friendly. Glose is alright but I think I've only read one e-book in that app.

message 27: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like Overdrive and d..."

That's exactly my experience. My Must Reads looks like a real eReader - at least the few books I've gotten from the indie store which uses the app.

message 28: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like Overdrive and d..."

So, basically if reading experience matters, Kindle is still our best bet? Kobo is not a real alternative because it's just as big? What do we know about buying Google or Apple books?

message 29: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like ..."

Kobo works internationally and supports indie bookstores, at least here in Canada. As far as reading experience, I do like kindle best, but kobo and Apple Books are fine too. I do most of my ereading on Scribd and overdrive so I don’t use them as much. My biggest problem with Scribd is that the app quits quick if you’re using an older device. I know kobo has a bluish or greenish background option like kindle does now.

message 30: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBo..."

Yeah, Scribd has been throwing me off. I guess I could give Kobo a try. :)

message 31: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've ..."

Kobo has a bit of a statistics option like kindle too, but I don’t really use it.

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like ..."

I haven't read in the iBooks app in awhile as I don't use my iPad or iPod Touch often anymore. I still have books there that I want to read! lol. I've read a few in the Google Books app, it's pretty navigable. Aldiko Book Reader is another garbage app, very similar to Adobe Digital Editions/Bluefire Reader. And I don't like reading in the Libby or Overdrive apps. The formatting is just weird.
I found this list but now that I read through it, I don't think it's that helpful. But maybe a few apps might be worth a try: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/tec...
And there's this one that I haven't read through yet but may have alternate apps: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/no-kindl...

It's going to be really hard to break away from Amazon. Or Google or Apple either, they're just as conglomeratey. lol.

message 33: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBo..."

Elyse, aren't you right! But dangit, I don't want to support places anymore that don't pay fair wages and abuse their workers. And really I spend so much money on books, starting there will make the biggest impact based on my spending habits.

Here is the My Must Reads app explained for anyone interested.

message 34: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
I reached out to the My Must Reads support team.

(1) The app can only read proprietary My Must Reads formats. Boo!
(2) The list of indie stores supporting this format is not small but
(3) The search feature isn't very intuitive. Sadly, we can't search for a specific book and then the app will tell us which stores sell it. You have to search a specific storefront meaning you have to look at their list of stores and then select one and search that storefront.

So that's all the BAD .... The GOOD is that the reading experience is great.

message 35: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Juli wrote: "I reached out to the My Must Reads support team.

(1) The app can only read proprietary My Must Reads formats. Boo!
(2) The list of indie stores supporting this format is not small but
(3) The se..."

Oh that's disappointing.

message 36: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2995 comments Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I use Bluefire on my Kindle Fire and I love it. It has opened the world of graphic novels to me [something I never thought I would get into, but here we are! LOL] and it works so well with the GN's I get from NetGalley.

I love my regular Kindle [this is my second one] and am thinking of upgrading to the Oasis soon. I use it for overdrive books all the time and have never had an issue. I use my laptop to read books from Scribd [who is ON MY LIST because 1. their customer service sucks, 2. their audiobooks drop ALL THE FREAKING TIME, and 3. once you've listened to or read a couple of books, they put you in [what we call] Scribd jail and quite a bit of your list becomes unavailable. So much for unlimited reading. HMPH. But due to their huge selection of audiobooks, I am stuck with them.

I live in a small town with no bookstores near me so Amazon is the best option for me. I understand why people want to get away from them, but for me, they have been a lifesaver, not only in getting me books, but in finding gluten free food and allergy friendly food and supplements I either cannot get anywhere near here, or are prohibitively expensive elsewhere. I am forever grateful for that.

Elyse, have you gone through your kindle and removed the books from the device [you have the option now to remove the download so its not taking up precious space. You still have the book and just re-download it when you want to read it]? I do that so I have more room. I could not believe how much space I saved when I did that with all my read books. It was crazy!!!

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 30, 2020 05:27AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Guys,

I have a dumb question. I am on a quest to cut out Kindle purchases - aka I would like to support Amazon as little as possible. I've tried a few eBook apps like O..."

There's so much on my Kindle it's clunky to work with and takes at least a minute or two to just select a book,. And it's my Kindle dump so that every e-book doesn't automatically get downloaded to my phone. I do think I might just wipe it, I'm sure there's an option for that. Start fresh.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3097 comments Carol wrote: "I am too scared of technology to use a kindle..., but if I have to, I use the cloud kindle thingy on my computer. Someone has to drag me into the 21st century."

Wow. I wrote that almost 2.5 years ago... it takes me a while to move on stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nook? Specifically, does it have the ability to take written text and convert it to spoken text? Our librarian recommended Nook and said that it supports our libary apps like Cloud Library, Hoopla and Recorded Books Digital.

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Carol wrote: "I am too scared of technology to use a kindle..., but if I have to, I use the cloud kindle thingy on my computer. Someone has to drag me into the 21st century."

Wow. I wrote that alm..."

I have no experience with the Nook. I borrowed my friend's many years ago to read a couple books she had. That's it! lol.

message 40: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I have a Nook and I have used it twice since getting my Kindle. I only buy books from Amazon for my Kindle is it is something I really, really want right away. I have Prime so I get the free nook and then I use my phone and Kindle with Overdrive.