Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Barefoot Season (Blackberry Island, #1)
This topic is about Barefoot Season
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mallery, Susan --Barefoot Season; informal buddy reads starts June 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Barefoot Season by Susan Mallery.

Synopsis
Michelle Sanderson may appear to be a strong, independent woman, but on the inside, she’s still the wounded girl who fled home years ago. A young army vet, Michelle returns to the quaint Blackberry Island Inn to claim her inheritance and recover from the perils of war. Instead, she finds the owner’s suite occupied by the last person she wants to see.

Carly Williams and Michelle were once inseparable, until a shocking betrayal destroyed their friendship. And now Carly is implicated in the financial disaster lurking behind the inn’s cheerful veneer.

Single mother Carly has weathered rumors, lies and secrets for a lifetime, and is finally starting to move forward with love and life. But if the Blackberry Island Inn goes under, Carly and her daughter will go with it.

To save their livelihoods, Carly and Michelle will undertake a turbulent truce. It’ll take more than a successful season to move beyond their devastating past, but with a little luck and a beautiful summer, they may just rediscover the friendship of a lifetime.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Annalisa | 1364 comments Hi everyone joining this BR. I'm from Tower Team Severus Snape. I'm looking forward to reading a new author.

message 5: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) | 57 comments Hello Annalisa and other participants~
Welcome to our Buddy Read!! I just cannot wait until June 22nd!! We are going to have a really fun time!!

TTYL!!!

--Drew

message 6: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Ahn Thinking about trying this buddy read, I just joined. Excited to try it out!

Suzanne | 4267 comments I'm looking forward to reading this with all of you :)

Suzanne | 4267 comments Through Chapters 1 and 2 (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1364 comments I'm just getting started on this book. I've got a few other Buddy Reads in progress as well as the BOM so I may be a bit slow reading. So far I've made it through chapter one and I'm interested in the story. I'm wondering if I read the blurb about the book or not because I was surprised that Michelle had been in the army. Sometimes I like a good surprise and don't read the blurb, but normally that is with an author I'm familiar with, and I've haven't read anything by Susan Mallery before. I'm realizing this is also a bit outside of my normal picks, however that can be a good thing.

Suzanne | 4267 comments i haven't read anything by Susan Mallery either :)

Suzanne | 4267 comments I kind of like the whole idea of a blackberry - themed season - it is fun to imagine (since I don't live near anything like that).

SandyL | 4453 comments Hi!! I'll be slow as well, Annalisa. I've read through chapter 2 and I'm interested in what happened between Michelle and Carly! Carly alluded that (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1364 comments Well I thought I would just have a little peak at this book and I ended up reading through chapter ten. This would be an easy book for me to just keep reading. I'm guessing my other books would be as well if I didn't keep switching from one to another. That being said I may actually put off my other Buddy Read and the Book of the Month and finish this one first. This is a nice change from all the fantasy I've been reading.

Thoughts through chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Through Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1364 comments Clearly I did not switch back to my other buddy read yesterday. I just read right though this book. I knew I needed a break from fantasy, but I guess I needed it more than I thought.

Through to the end of the book:
(view spoiler)

SandyL | 4453 comments I just finished Chapter 5 and I thought Michelle's interaction (view spoiler)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 428 comments I meant to just get started on this one this morning and ended up reading all of it today!

(view spoiler)

I love Susan Mallery and will definitely be adding this to my series to read list. Her books are always great reads when you're looking for something light and fun or need a break from longer books.

Suzanne | 4267 comments Wow I'm so glad so many of you are finding it a quick read. I'm a bit stalled - Quidditch is eating up all my reading time, and eating time, and sleeping time this week, but I'll catch up next week (unless the action slows down a bit - which it might!)

message 18: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) | 57 comments I am sooo sorry for not commenting sooner. My summer is beginning on a busy note. Both of my parents are in town for the summer. They live in Las Cruces New Mexico for the winter and then they come north to my dad's boat in Saugatuck, Michigan. My dad is 80 years old and my mom is 81 years old. I am trying to spend as much time with them that I can. I also have doctor's appointments both last week and this week. I am just now sitting down and starting to read this novel. I am going to try my best to post something at least daily.
I believe this is book 1 of a series. If you get done early, the next book in this series is Three Sisters.
Well, gotta read!!
Happy Reading!!

--Drew

Suzanne | 4267 comments That is wonderful (and important) to spend time with your parents Drew! I hope you enjoy the book!

message 20: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew (drewgrigaliunas) | 57 comments Thank you, Suzanne!!

--Drew

SandyL | 4453 comments Suzanne wrote: "Wow I'm so glad so many of you are finding it a quick read. I'm a bit stalled - Quidditch is eating up all my reading time, and eating time, and sleeping time this week, but I'll catch up next week..."

I'm slow right along with you, Suzanne!

SandyL | 4453 comments Andrew wrote: "I am sooo sorry for not commenting sooner. My summer is beginning on a busy note. Both of my parents are in town for the summer. They live in Las Cruces New Mexico for the winter and then they come..."

Enjoy your parent's Andrew!!!

Suzanne | 4267 comments I'm to Chapter 12.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Just started this one- so far I'm liking it!
Through chapter 8:
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4267 comments Erin wrote: "Just started this one- so far I'm liking it!
Through chapter 8:
."

I agree (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4267 comments I finished it!
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Through chapter 22:
(view spoiler)
I finally have a day off, so I'm planning to finish this one up- I'm really liking the characters!

Suzanne | 4267 comments Nice observations! I agree that (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4453 comments I'm finally done - got a little sidetracked!

So overall I enjoyed the book. At times it was depressing because of Michelle's issues. (view spoiler) I did like how (view spoiler)

I felt so bad for Michelle (view spoiler)

I really liked Jared and (view spoiler)

Re: Ellen (view spoiler)

I'm on the fence about reading other books in the series,

SandyL | 4453 comments Erin wrote: "Through chapter 22:
[spoilers removed]
I finally have a day off, so I'm planning to finish this one up- I'm really liking the characters!"

I couldn't believe how they kept talking about (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4453 comments Suzanne wrote: "I finished it!
I feel satisfied with the explanation of the animosity between Carly and Michelle, and I'm glad they worked things out. You all were right in the earlier comments.

The love interes..."

I wish there had been more with Jared and Sam!

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Finished last night-
(view spoiler)

I'm really glad I joined in this buddy read! I've never read anything by Susan Mallery before, and I really liked it. Sometimes I go through a phase where I read too many depressing books in a row, and it'll be good to have another author to turn to when I need a bit of lightening up!

message 33: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Suzanne wrote: " The love interests..."
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4267 comments Good summary Erin. (view spoiler)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 428 comments I'm kind of glad that (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4267 comments You're right Sharon (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Barefoot Season (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susan Mallery (other topics)