Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Books that nobody talks about

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liss (new)

Liss Chiong We all love a book/series that no one knows about! Here are some of mine:

-Folsom by Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster
- Captive in the dark by C.J Roberts
- The bird and the sword by Amy Harmon (this I've heard fuss about it but it deserves much more! great fantasy

Comment a book you love and you haven't heard much about it on goodreads

message 2: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 71 comments The Mercury 13 The Untold Story of Thirteen American Women and the Dream of Space Flight  by Martha Ackmann The Mercury 13: The Untold Story of Thirteen American Women and the Dream of Space Flight

Fascinating historical account of 13 women who were trained for the Mercury space program.

Beetle The Bard (the-guardian) | 1 comments The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
The Leavers by Lisa Ko

message 4: by Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1) by F.C. Yee Blood and Sand by C.V. Wyk are what comes to mind. The Epic Crush of Genie Lo is the beginning of hopefully a series with Chinese mythology and lots of humor, it sounds like a Rick Riordan book but is surprisingly unique and refreshing. And Blood and Sand is possibly the most underrated debut of the year

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments Insomnia, Paranoia, Mania (a trilogy)

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

Pitch Green, Mojave Green, Fatal Green (trilogy)

Residue

Hmm, I’ve got creepy books on my mind for some reason. My fantasy favorites are fairly well known.

message 6: by Kristen (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

Kristen Peppercorn  (kiwicanread) | 62 comments Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell (Please read this book. Somebody! Anybody!!)

The Wee Free Men (In my top 5 all time faves!)

Unfamiliar Magic (so good, so cute, i love it so much)

Because You'll Never Meet Me, Zoe Letting Go, The Originals, Life is But a Dream, Five Children and It, More Than We Can Tell, Daddy-Long-Legs, If You Find Me, A Dog's Purpose, Mothership, Born Wicked, The Thief Lord, The Beach, The Wishing Spell, Moon Without Magic

Yes, yes I did just go through all my read books to compile that list.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments I'm also going to go through my read list:

Fires of the Faithful
The Glorious Heresies
The Iron King and the whole of the Accursed kings series (real history that is as plot twisty and crazy as A Song of Ice and Fire)
Harvest
Belle
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - lots of people talk about the musical (which I love) but the book is also very good and very different
Divided Kingdom - the concept for Divergent done well!

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (nifflerlover) | 577 comments The Kingdom Keepers Series is awesome for Disney fans and nobody ever talks about it. It's really great though! There are seven books and two spin off series.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 27 comments The Crimson Empire Series by Alex Marshall

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments Queer City by Peter Ackroyd this came out last year yet it's already faded as it a unpopular subject yet it is very funny history of silly history of homosexually life.

message 12: by Kier Scrivener (new)

Kier Scrivener (kierscrivener) Rightful by Pamela Memmott, awesome YA fantasy with a kickbutt female lead

message 13: by C I N D L E (last edited Jun 20, 2018 02:15AM) (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) ‘The Catcher in the Rye’ by J.D. Salinger has been a classic to elementary school kids since the 1950s.
However, a contemporary title that I think could also work to teach young adolescents serious life lessons would be River on Fire by Scott Pratt.

I actually just finished it a week ago and prior to that, I had never heard of it. One of the first things I said to myself after finishing it was that it would be a good title for teachers to include as a Summer read for class discussion.

I personally think it is a phenomenal read and it has many layers, implications, undertones, and nuances that stay with you long after you’ve turned the last page. At least it has for me.

message 14: by TAY (new)

TAY (bodysurfer27) | 8 comments I'm always looking for the next new weird random book to read.

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking
War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham
Meltdown by Ben Elton

message 15: by Irfken (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Irfken | 40 comments The Silver Music Box by Mina Baites, it's the best book I've read this year and one of my favorite works of historical fiction though I've heard nothing about it on this site. I got my recommendation for it on Amazon. It's a great translated book that is vital reading for any historical fiction fan. I've read so many mediocre and popular works of historical fiction like The Nightingale, All the Light We Cannot See and Salt to the Sea which get too much hype but this book is more worthy. It's a spectacular gem of a book. There are too many great books that go under the radar while a lot crap gets undeserved popularity.

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. I've had a tough time finishing the Anne of Green Gables series over the years ever since I was a kid but The Blue Castle which is by the same author is one of favorite books of all time. Very few people know of it and not many have read it but it's a stoke of genius, a comedic and heartfelt masterpiece. I heard about it from a booktuber who only reads classics and never picks up YA which is a rarity.

Danielle (mistandfiction) | 2 comments The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is incredible! I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

message 17: by Ashly (new)

message 18: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand Danielle (mistandfiction) wrote: "The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is incredible! I haven't seen anyone talk about it."

I agree! Such an amazing book!!

message 19: by Doreen (new)

Doreen (door_een) | 61 comments The Kanin Chronicles by Amanda Hocking was amazing. I don't hear people talking about it alot but srsly it was a pretty awesome world/story!

Also, maybe Kirsten Gier's Ruby Red trilogy! It was a pre cool storyline, filled with mystery and fantasy in a modern day world! LOVED IT.

message 20: by Born To (new)

Born To Read (borntoreadbooks) Danielle (mistandfiction) wrote: "The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is incredible! I haven't seen anyone talk about it."

the whole series is amazing!

message 21: by Liss (new)

Liss Chiong Ashly wrote: "The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. NielsenThe Silence of Six (SOS, #1) by E.C. Myers"

I loved the false prince! I've wanted to read the silence of six since forever! Perhaps soon I'll pick it up

message 22: by Liss (new)

Liss Chiong Danielle (mistandfiction) wrote: "The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon is incredible! I haven't seen anyone talk about it."

Can you believe I have book 1 and 2 in my shelf.. in their plastic wrap still? haha I have to read them

message 23: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments One that I always think should get more talk and doesn't is an older series. The first book in the series was published back in the 1960's and the last one in the early 00's. The original author died in 2005, and her last book was published just months before she died. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was one in this series or not. Its a fantasy series with a few sci-fi elements in it. Witch World by Andre Norton. It's the first book and the name of the series. There are approximately 30 or so books in the series, but they are broken down into sub-series that have only the setting (the Witch World itself) as the common denominator. Ms. Norton had co-authors on some of the books, which made things even more interesting. She wrote a great many other novels besides the ones in this series. She also wrote in a lot of different genres--historical, romance, non-fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, time travel, children's, YA and adult. Her "real life" job that she actually did to earn a living was librarian, so she knew how to do her research. In fact, in some of her historicals, especially the ones for kids, she had a huge bibliography at the end of the book.

message 24: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (british-teacup) | 5 comments The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall.

I don't know anyone who talks about this series but it's SO GOOD. Reading book three now and I'm currently obsessed.

message 25: by Lora (new)

Lora | 227 comments Paper Princess by Erin Watt, it's amazing!

message 26: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments Basically anything by Ruth Ware, I love her writing, characters, and strangely unique stories, but she isn’t very popular and I think that should change.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 49 comments Magonia (Magonia, #1) by Maria Dahvana Headley - i mean look at the cover! if you want to read an unusual weird fantasy book, read this :)

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments I agree with the Kanin Chronicles by Amanda Hocking. I read them last year and fell in love with it.

Honestly, that is a lot of books. I feel like a lot of the self-published authors are hardly ever talked about either. That's why I try to reas books by unknown authors although I do enjoy some of the hyped books as well.

message 29: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments The Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Written pre-Hunger Games, beloved by many, but not widely known.

message 30: by S61, Creator/Chief Moderator (new)

S61 (kingdombooks) | 249 comments Mod
Sick boy by sean walker is FANTASTIC

message 31: by M⭐ (new)

M⭐ (coffeeismyvalentine) A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray! I mean, it's about timetraveling!!

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 17 comments Dragonfly by Julia Golding
It's one of my favorite books, but not well-known.

message 33: by quq (new)

quq  (190511) These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

message 34: by Julia (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

message 35: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments Anything by Ruth Ware

message 37: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand Melliott wrote: "The Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Written pre-Hunger Games, beloved by many, but not widely known."

I adore that series!!

message 39: by Dreher (last edited Aug 03, 2018 03:45PM) (new)

Dreher Melliott wrote: "The Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Written pre-Hunger Games, beloved by many, but not widely known."
I loved the series and highly recommend it to everyone !!

message 40: by quq (new)

quq  (190511) These Broken Stars by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman

message 41: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Sean wrote: "Sick boy by sean walker is FANTASTIC"

That is ironic.

message 42: by Grace (new)

Grace Ink & Bone by Rachel Caine it's a really good low fantasy alternate universe story with a bunch of diversity and I recommend it constantly but still feel as though it's entirely neglected for how good it is.

Taylor *Sits on the Top Shelf* | 4 comments The Throne of Amenkor by Joshua Palmatier

The Throne of Amenkor series. SO GOOD! Female orphan, raised in the slums, becomes an assassin. Kind of like Throne of Glass, but no lame love stories to get in the way.

message 44: by Amelia (last edited Dec 03, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

Amelia | 59 comments Kristen wrote: "Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell (Please read this book. Somebody! Anybody!!)

The Wee Free Men (In my top 5 all time faves!)

Unfamiliar Magic (so good..."

Jess wrote: "I'm also going to go through my read list:

Fires of the Faithful
The Glorious Heresies
The Iron King and the whole of the Accursed kings series (real ..."

I think I've got a copy of Rooftoppers somewhere. I've definitely got a copy of Divided Kingdom.

message 45: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 59 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
Old Magic by Marianne Curley"

I love a bit of Skulduggery! I would probably never have picked them up on my own, but they were recommended to me by a guy I volunteered with and they're so quirky and fun

message 46: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 59 comments Lisa wrote: "Magonia (Magonia, #1) by Maria Dahvana Headley - i mean look at the cover! if you want to read an unusual weird fantasy book, read this :)"

Reminds me of the cover of Tempests and Slaughter - gorgeous!

message 47: by Hannah (new)

message 48: by Tia (new)

message 49: by Christina (new)

Christina (bookmagnolia) Julia wrote: "The Amulet of Samarkand

The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1) by Jonathan Stroud"

Yes!!! This entire series is sooo good!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Amelia wrote: "Oda Renate wrote: "Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
Old Magic by Marianne Curley"

I love a bit of Skulduggery! I would probably never have picked them up on my own, but they were recommende..."

Yes! Skulduggery is the best is strange its not so known I man its a best selling series Rick riordan loves them and mentions them in his blogg now and then.

« previous 1