Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Jamie B's Footloose and Fancy Free reading tour

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments Unless I find a French book that really lures me in by July 2nd, I'll probably start off in the UK for this one. Now I just need to plan my route and some alternates and start gathering the books. :)

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments I started out with England, and a 1001-list author, but not one of her listed books.
So, for England I read Autumn, by Ali Smith. It was good, set in the UK in the years just before Brexit, sort of examining what all was going on that led up to that vote. (The novel was published before the Brexit vote happened.)
I am lingering in England reading a few more books set there this week, especially since my home internet is not working, so I can't check in very easily till it is working again. I'll depart from Scotland heading to Iceland next, I think, and then head to Ireland.

My plan so far: England-Wales-Scotland-Iceland-Northern Ireland-Ireland-Portugal-Spain-France-Italy-Greece. I am considering Russia a part of my itinerary, but only books set in or by authors from the Ukraine, since that is the portion of Russia that is in Europe. I'll fine tune my reading as I find more books for the more challenging countries. I plan to include a fair number of 1001 books, but I am not obsessing over whether my books are 1001-listed or not.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Dank | 11 comments Jamie wrote: " I am considering Russia a part of my itinerary, but only books set in or by authors from the Ukraine, since that is the portion of Russia that is in Europe." That's not exactly accurate. Part of Russia itself is in Europe, e.g. Moscow, as is Belarus. You should be good to pick pretty much any Russian author on the list, especially classics.

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments Next book on my tour is Independent People, by Laxness, which I am starting this afternoon. I still have no home internet yet so I won't be updating online till Thursday, but I hope my internet will start working again soon. After Laxness, barring travel restrictions, I'll be 'flying back towards the UK, but landing in Ireland instead to pick up my third country. I have a couple options for that country, but will probably read something by Colm Toibin.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments My home internet is still down, but I am solidly in Iceland now. Independent People is good so far, though I really dislike the male protagonist so far. I have another Iceland book to read if I decide to linger a while there before heading to Ireland, but I will probably be in Ireland by midweek reading a Colm Toibin book. I have several other Ireland books to enjoy while I'm there, so I may not get to Portugal till next weekend at this rate, but I'll be reading Blindness, by Saramago, for Portugal.

message 6: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Jamie wrote: "My home internet is still down, but I am solidly in Iceland now. Independent People is good so far, though I really dislike the male protagonist so far. I have another Iceland book to read if I dec..."

Nice to meet you here in Iceland and reading the same book ;) (Having the same thoughts/reflections so far...)

I also liked Blindness when I read it a while back. The subject wasn't an easy one, but I did like the writing style and the story-flow... Hope you enjoy it too.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments I finished Independent People and wrote out my review a few days ago, though my internet still would not connect at home to post anything. Oh well.
So, I posted my review for Independent People today, and also my review for my next country (Scotland), for which I read Kidnapped, which I started and finished yesterday. Next I am off to Ireland with Colm Toibin's novel The Master. If all goes well I hope to read The Master this weekend and post my review for it on Sunday so I can travel on to Portugal with Saramago's Blindness next week. Since I only get to the library on Thursdays and Sundays usually, I am stuck tailoring my travels to when I can get online, till my Internet starts working again.

message 8: by Jamie (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:05PM) (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments So, so far:
England: Autumn (Not a List book, but a List author)
Iceland: Independent People (1001 List)
Scotland: Kidnapped (1001 List)
Ireland: (currently reading) The Master (1001 List)
Portugal: (not read yet, probable book- Blindness (Not a list book, but a List author) )
Spain: (Not started yet) Obabakoak

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments If I am not mistaken you are only allowed to travel to France from UK. I could only figure out Portugal by going down through Spain and then back through on way to more of Europe.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments Kelly wrote: "If I am not mistaken you are only allowed to travel to France from UK. I could only figure out Portugal by going down through Spain and then back through on way to more of Europe."
I just read through the instructions thread and UK-Iceland is an acceptable connection, so my England-Iceland-Scotland route worked fine. I'm not so sure about the Ireland to Portugal connection, as far as the game is concerned, but being stuck offline most of the week I am just going with it, since that's how I'd be traveling if I was doing the tour in real life. Being stuck offline I've pretty much given up trying to play for points for this game anyway, so it works for me and if it doesn't work for the folks running the game I won't be online to find out for days. I'm already fudging a bit by writing out my mini review for Iceland midweek and moving on to Scotland, since I could not get online to actually post the Iceland review when I finished that book. I've thought about just not playing, but so far I'm making it work as best I can.

message 11: by Jen (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:38PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "If I am not mistaken you are only allowed to travel to France from UK. I could only figure out Portugal by going down through Spain and then back through on way to more of Europe."
I ..."

Yes, technically Kelly is correct. Ferry travel is limited between certain countries and air travel isn't allowed. So basically you need to travel the way you would if you were backpacking. Trains and buses go from UK to Portugal but via France and Spain. So you can't hop from UK to Portugal. From UK, you can go either to Iceland or France. We put in these additional roadblocks to make it a little more challenging, and a little bit more like how one would backpack across Europe. So if you want to play for points, then you should travel to France. Otherwise, if you aren't playing for the prizes/points you can still just play along and travel however you like.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I will add that Portugal is a tough one for points. Because once you get there you're trapped and in order to leave you need to exit through a country you already passed. This means anyone who ventures to Portugal will end up having to read an extra book for zero points. I've been wondering which readers would be venturing there.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jamie wrote: "Kelly wrote: "If I am not mistaken you are only allowed to travel to France from UK. I could only figure out Portugal by going down through Spain and then back through on way to more of Europe."
I ..."

Sorry Jamie -- is there any way I could help by keeping score for you or sending texts? If there is something let me know. I would be happy to help.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments So, as of right now I have completed:

Scotland: Kidnapped (1001 List)

I am not assuming Scotland counts for points, since I had to post 2 reviews on the same day, and that was the second one I posted. If it counted, I would have 2 points now for the 1001 version, and 3 points for the blog version of the game. As it stands now, I am assuming I have 1 point in the 1001 version, for Iceland.
Moving on to Ireland never happened, because I so far have yet to actually start reading The Master. I like Toibin, from what I have read so far, but it just is not calling to me this month. So I am still in the UK at the moment. And, since Tipping the Velvet finally came in (an ILL request I've been waiting for) and I need to finish Middlesex for the TBR challenge, I'm not going anywhere till Sunday. My next tour country will be France (of course, since where else could one go from the UK?) and I'll be reading a Camus book, probably not one from the List.

(planned, not read yet)
France: The Fall (Not a list book, but a List author)
Spain: Obabakoak (1001 List)
France: The Stranger (Not a list book, but a List author)
Germany: Siddhartha (1001 List)

I may make it to Scandinavia, and I have a book for Estonia that I plan to read next month, but it may not fit into the game. My guess is that I'll get to Italy or Denmark and then head back to France and the UK to finish up the tour. I'm challenging my self to read a book from as many European countries as I can this season too, but as a personal challenge, since the game and my current tech/communications situation don't get along well.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Hi,
Can you edit your first post to include the running score? That way it's easier for me to update the score board. Thanks