YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Poet X
This topic is about The Poet X
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo - Restarting May 6th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85693 comments Mod
A young girl in Harlem discovers slam poetry as a way to understand her mother’s religion and her own relationship to the world. Debut novel of renowned slam poet Elizabeth Acevedo.

Xiomara Batista feels unheard and unable to hide in her Harlem neighborhood. Ever since her body grew into curves, she has learned to let her fists and her fierceness do the talking.

But Xiomara has plenty she wants to say, and she pours all her frustration and passion onto the pages of a leather notebook, reciting the words to herself like prayers—especially after she catches feelings for a boy in her bio class named Aman, who her family can never know about. With Mami’s determination to force her daughter to obey the laws of the church, Xiomara understands that her thoughts are best kept to herself.

So when she is invited to join her school’s slam poetry club, she doesn’t know how she could ever attend without her mami finding out, much less speak her words out loud. But still, she can’t stop thinking about performing her poems.

Because in the face of a world that may not want to hear her, Xiomara refuses to be silent.

Ritika Mendiratta | 616 comments Starting this!

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Me too :)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter More About Twin (view spoiler)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter - Games. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Fuzaila (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Chapter - After (view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 12(view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 24(view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 40(view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Finished(view spoiler)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Keyona wrote: "Chapter 40[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Fuzaila (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Keyona wrote: "Finished[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Lane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Part 1 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Part 2 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Lane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Middle of Part 3 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Lane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 17: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments *****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 26th of June 2019

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 18: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments I’m starting now Maddie and Anna.Bettyx

:)

message 19: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 12% (view spoiler)

message 20: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 43% (view spoiler)

message 21: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 49% (view spoiler)

message 22: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 83% (view spoiler)

message 23: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 91% (view spoiler)

message 24: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48898 comments Mod
Shae wrote: "12% [spoilers removed]"

Yeah! I can't understand these super religious types!

16% (view spoiler)

26% (view spoiler)

Shae wrote: "43% [spoilers removed]"

Yeah! It's so frustrating and sexist!

Shae wrote: "49% [spoilers removed]"

They're such a religious family, but (view spoiler)

message 30: by Maddie (last edited Jun 28, 2019 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

55% (view spoiler)

Shae wrote: "83% [spoilers removed]"

HOW CAN EVERYONE FIND IT ACCEPTABLE FOR (view spoiler) I don't understand!!! And this is modern day as well, so bloody sexist

86% (view spoiler)

Shae wrote: "91% [spoilers removed]"

I love people like that <3

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting September 17th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments Ah, it appears as if no one has joined in on this one. Well, I am not sure who is participating but I figured I'd just give it a try. Hehe.

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments 25 % done. (view spoiler)

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments Part 2 done. (view spoiler)

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments 75% done. (view spoiler)

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments I don’t know who originally set this up, but I’m going to try and squeeze it in (another I’ve not got round to). Will try and respond to your comments Ritik, but have to do it when I’m on a pc.

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments Haha, sure. It's a lovely book. I hope you love it too! :)

message 42: by ~Sophia~ (new)

~Sophia~ (sophiabooks) Sorry I'm late to this! I read this on the date but totally forgot to update, haha. :)
So, here are my thoughts:
Beginning
(view spoiler)
37%
(view spoiler)
55%
(view spoiler)
72%
(view spoiler)
Finished!
(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments 11% - very easy to read. The character of Xiomara seems full of life, but definitely at odds with her family and their expectations of her.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments 20% - The sexism she faces daily makes me cross.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments 48% - I’m finding her mum and background rather oppressive. Not sure how sensible the twins’ actions are, but they’re understandable.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments 61% - desperate to see her get involved in the slam poetry, but I’m so annoyed on her behalf for the way her mother treats her.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments My heart stopped at the moment her mum found the book.

Finished. Review on home page.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Ritika wrote: "Part 2 done. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Ritika wrote: "75% done. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Ritika Chhabra (justagirlhighonbooks) | 530 comments Karen wrote: "Ritika wrote: "Part 2 done. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I had a similar family, actually so I kind of know. We aren't so religious but my parents (and grandparents) are still very strict. :(

« previous 1