New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

Libraries Rock 2018 > Welcome to Adult Summer Reading 2018!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (last edited Jun 06, 2018 01:04PM) (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
Adult summer reading is coming back this summer starting June 25, and our theme is Libraries Rock!

We will be having weekly drawings every Monday in July for gift certificates from Chopt and Prestige Diner. Everyone who has participated over the summer will be entered in a grand prize drawing for a gift certificate from NP Fuel.

The grand prize drawing will be held at the Adult Summer Reading party on July 31 at 7:30 p.m. Come meet other participants, enjoy refreshments and pick out a new book donated by Penguin Random House to take home with you.

To be entered in a particuar week's drawing, choose an activity from the entry form and drop it off at the library by Saturdays at the latest. You can also email us your activity/ies at npmlref@yahoo.com, by Sundays at the latest.

One of the ways you may participate in Adult Summer Reading is to comment on a weekly discussion topic that will be posted in the Libraries Rock 2018 thread. Check back starting June 25!

For a full list of summer events, please see the entry form.

A big thank you to our generous adult summer reading sponsors, Chopt, NP Fuel, Penguin Random House, and Prestige Diner.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments Thanks for bringing this fun idea back! New Providence library ROCKS!! 😊📚

message 3: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments great ! i enjoy these discussions. thanks Lisa

message 4: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 67 comments Looking forward to it!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Thornton (karenstaffordthornton) | 65 comments Always enjoy this!

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Hi all. Glad to see this again! Looking forward to commenting on books.
speaking of which last night I just finished reading "Bachelor Girl" by Kim van Alkemade, the author of Orphan #8, which I also liked.
I enjoy reading historical fiction especially when the author includes a description of what is fact and what she has added to the characters or story. This is what the author did in this book about Jacob Ruppert, the millionaire owner of the New York Yankees and about life in NYC in the 20's and 30's.

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Hello to all again.
Am I on the correct Goodreads page? Or is there a facebook page to follow?
Came here to see what everyone is reading now and comment on couple of my recent books.
I finished "Winter Sisters" by Robin Oliveira and thought it was very good. Difficult subject matter but still good. I had read an earlier book by her and liked it too.

also read "New Mountains to Climb" a journey to lung transplant and beyond. Good information and personal experience in a short book.

Bachelor Girl by Kim van Alkemade was good/interesting.

And I listened to "The Paris Architect" by Charles Belfoure and gave this one 4* on Goodreads.

Currently listening to The Song of Achilles
by Madeline Miller and finding it interesting. I hope to read her "Circes" very soon too. I hear that it's very good.

Trying to find the time to read "Love and Ruin" by Paula Mclaine about Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn. It's quite interesting (Novel) but reading time is scarce right now. :-(

what's up with everyone else?

message 8: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments hi booklovers

glad it's finally summer . here are the books i've read this year ... with cliff note review haha

interested to hear about you all !

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
Kate Moore
4 star
tragic and horrifying that this went on so long without proper investigation and intervention. corporate greed was as powerful then as now !

Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture
Gay, Roxane *
4 star
depressing but enlightening. opened my eyes to everyday small instances of harassment and sexism.

Five-Carat Soul
McBride, James *
(didn't like, didn't finish. i don't love short stories, but i LOVED the color of water and the good lord bird so thought i'd try it.)

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation
Keller, Michael
5 star. beautifully illustrated !

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
Bailey, Elisabeth Tova
4 star - simple and lovely

Guided Mindfulness Meditation
Kabat-Zinn, Jon
4 star

Meditation: A Beginner's Guide to Start Meditating Now
Shinzen Young
4 star

The Bitch Is Back: Older, Wiser, and (Getting) Happier
Hanauer, Cathi
3 star. insightful, relatable. but got tiresome and repetitive

Girls Burn Brighter
Rao, Shobha *
3 star. too hard to believe so much happening to one person. but overall, good story

Freshwater
Emezi, Akwaeke *
1 star...meh. can't read stream of consciousness for a couple hundred pages

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
Noah, Trevor
5 star - hilarious and eye opening

A State of Freedom
Mukherjee, Neel
4 star - great writing, great story, had to skim over some very difficult to read parts

I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Yousafzai, Malala
5 star- what an amazing young lady

The Blacker the Berry...
Thurman, Wallace
3 star. black on black racism early 20th century , interesting

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
Atul Gawande
4 star but could have been an essay. repetitive

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Sangeeta - I'll have to make note of a few of these!

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Bryant (bryantc3) | 3 comments Sangeeta wrote: "hi booklovers

glad it's finally summer . here are the books i've read this year ... with cliff note review haha

interested to hear about you all !

How were the Meditation books? I think i have 1 of those 2 sitting on my Kindle and would love a(nother) way to relax and de-stress.

As for reading, my challenge this year was to make my way through the Game of Thrones books and then the TV show, so I can finally understand half of the conversations that go on at work/social media. I am almost halfway through the 4th book and I am at the end of the 3rd season. The show has it's moments, but as per usual - the books are much better. I am generally not big into the fantasy-esque genre, but this does seem to transcend genres. I really enjoy the characters and how they develop.

Though, I am definitely looking forward to finishing the 4th and 5th books, so I can move onto some lighter reading for a bit. I missed reading a few different books a month, as opposed to one of these 900+ page beasts taking up the full month of my NYC commute.

message 11: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments i enjoyed the meditation books.

the shinzen young was succinct.

there are so many out there.
10% happier and meditation for fidgety skeptics (lol)
both by Dan Harris seem good too.

i love anything by thich nhat hanh

thisis the best one i've read
How to Meditate A Practical Guide by Kathleen McDonald

How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
by Kathleen McDonald,

Robina Courtin
4.08 · Rating details · 377 Ratings · 20 Reviews
What is meditation? Why practice it? Which techniques are best? How do I do it? The answers to these often-asked questions are contained in this down-to-earth book, making it of enormous value for anyone who wishes to begin and maintain a meditation practice. Written by a Western Buddhist nun with solid experience in both the practice and teaching of meditation, How to Meditate contains a wealth of practical advice on a variety of authentic techniques, from what to do with our minds, to how to sit, to visualizations and other traditional practices. Best of all, McDonald’s approach is warm and encouraging. The next best thing to personal instruction! (less)

message 12: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments For those interested in Mindfulness Meditation, my teacher gave me this link and perhaps you'd be interested in it. Don't have to follow week by week (free course),especially if familiar with some of it. Free guided meditations too.
https://palousemindfulness.com/

message 13: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments thanks. i'll look into it

btw: there are a lot of free meditation apps for cell phones

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Sangeeta - any favorite apps for iPhones?

message 15: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments i have an android

try out a few. if you don't like it, delete.

message 16: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments 10% happier is a good one, but there's a free version and one you have to pay for. the free one is good enough i think, and i'm sure it's avail. on iphone too :)

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Bryant (bryantc3) | 3 comments thank you for all of these suggestions :)

message 18: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments sure, if anyone else has any, please chime in !

message 19: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Apps... insight timer, Headspace as well as Calm.
If you try any of these...let me know what you think.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments If you've read Lisa Genova's novels before (Still Alice, Left Neglected and more) don't miss her latest Every Note Played. It's amazing how she handles difficult situations with warmth and dignity.

message 21: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Judy - I've read all of Lisa Genova's books except the one with "O'Brien" in the title. It's on my Kindle and hope to get to it sooner rather than later.
I agree - it is amazing how she handles difficult situations. My brother passed away a few years ago from ALS and I was not sure I should read her new book, "Every Note Played" but I decided that I'd try it and if it was too much for me, too painful, that I'd just give up on it. Well, I read it cover to cover! Of course I had to have some tissues next to me but she helped me understand more what my brother had to endure. And, it brought back some good memories of him too. It's impressive how well she writes about such difficult subjects.