Play Book Tag discussion

Claire of the Sea Light
This topic is about Claire of the Sea Light
June 2018: Magical Realism > Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2327 comments Claire Faustin was born in the small village of Ville Rose, Haiti. Her seemingly healthy mother took her last breath as Claire took her first and Claire believes she can remember everything about her birth and the feeling of being in her mother's womb. Now Claire is about to turn 7 years old and her father feels that he should give her away to someone more capable of raising a young daughter. He has chosen Gaelle, the local fabric shop owner, a woman who lost her 10 year old daughter in an accident several years before. As the two adults finalize their plans Claire disappears. The townspeople help to search for the girl and as they search we learn the stories of several other citizens of Ville Rose. All the stories are interconnected in some way and are resolved by the end of the book.

Nope, didn't like it.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I added this, then changed my mind. It seems like that was a good choice!

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments It sounds so intriguing - what didn't you like about it?

Ellen | 2327 comments annapi wrote: "It sounds so intriguing - what didn't you like about it?"

It's hard to say exactly why but I think it's because a book about Claire should have had more Claire in it, in my opinion. It all seemed very disjointed with several different story lines that came out of nowhere. It did all come together but I didn't enjoy the ride.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Ugh! This is one that keeps coming on and off my TBR. Maybe I would like it more KNOWING that it is not so much about Claire and more loosely interconnected stories?

Though now I am having flashes of Olive Kittridge and I really strongly dislike Elizabeth Strout. Bad association....

Ellen | 2327 comments I never read Olive Kittridge but I did read, and dislike, Lucy Barton. I'd say I dislike them equally.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Maybe I’ll love it then!