Lord of The Rings Buddy Read discussion

The Return of the King > Part VI. Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna (amindneedsbooks) | 47 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss anything here for chapters 1-3. Make sure your not popping into the thread before your done with chapter 3 to avoid being spoiled on anything. Let me or Natalie know if there is something specific you would like us to make a thread about within any chapters!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 17 comments I was hoping after all of the buildup to the Paths of the Dead, with everyone warning Aragorn not to go etc, that this part would be scarier or a bit more exciting or something. But it seemed a little rushed? Haha. I am probably the only one thinking something in the lotr books seems rushed. I guess I just didn't think it lived up to the buildup.

I enjoyed Eowyn's little speech when talking to Aragorn in chapter 2. I feel like she is a strong female character. I only wish she was more central to the story.

"'What do you fear, lady?' he asked. 'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'"

I like how these chapters bounce back between the different characters. And I love the way Tolkien incorporates the perspectives of so many different people in these books (like even King Theoden's perspective). The beginning of the book (at least from what I noticed) was all Frodo's perspective, and now it has transitioned into including most everyone's. I don't think I have ever read anything that has done that before!