SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2)
This topic is about Raven Stratagem
What Else Are You Reading? > Series: Machineries of Empire by Yoon Ha Lee ("Ninefox Gambit")

Comments Showing 1-50 of 260 (260 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 13, 2019 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
Buddy read for Raven Stratagem, Revenant Gun and Hexarchate Stories. May include spoilers for Ninefox Gambit, but please hide all other spoilers inside spoiler tags, and mark with which book/chapter/page it's about.

Ninefox discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 06, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Also check out the short fiction available online for free, all can be read as standalones:

Extracurricular Activities, Shuos Jedao back when he was a (living) hotshot spaceship captain

The Battle of Candle Arc, which is what it says on the tin, featuring Shuos Jedao

How the Andan Court, a flash piece about the nature of desire

The Robot's Math Lessons, on how a very young Cheris made friends with a servitor

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hexarchate faction cheat sheet

What faction are you? Take the test.

message 4: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I need to go finish my current reads so I can jump into ALL OF THESE! It's not too much to reread everything for the second time? This year? Right?

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "I need to go finish my current reads so I can jump into ALL OF THESE! It's not too much to reread everything for the second time? This year? Right?"

Definitely not too much. It's like free refills at the restaurant. If you reread the same books in the same timespan, you just get that time back later. It is known.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Allison wrote: "Anna wrote: "I need to go finish my current reads so I can jump into ALL OF THESE! It's not too much to reread everything for the second time? This year? Right?"

Definitely not too much. It's like..."

It is known. Eek! I’m so excited about this! I kinda wish I had time to reread Ninefox though.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Are all the short stories listed above available to read on Tor? Or somewhere else?

message 8: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 06, 2018 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The last two are on Lee's site, my links should point there, the first two should have links on the book pages.

Ariana | 657 comments I'm not seeing an audio version of Revenant Gun available. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

message 10: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana wrote: "I'm not seeing an audio version of Revenant Gun available. Am I just looking in the wrong places?"

Hmm...it's possible that the audio will come out some time after the book does. They sometimes come out staggered. I don't see it either, so that's my guess!

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Thanks Anna!

Ariana | 657 comments Allison wrote: "Hmm...it's possible that the audio will come out some time after the book does. They sometimes come out staggered. I don't see it either, so that's my guess!"

That makes sense! Thanks.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Two in one thread? I guess everything about Revenant Gun should be in spoiler tags then. Hmm.

message 14: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 07, 2018 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I thought that since there are just a few of us, it'd be easier having everything in one place.

message 15: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Unless folks are planning to read RG without having read RS for some inexplicable reason, we can keep it here. Yes, Silvana, anything about RG will be tagged.

Rachel | 1327 comments Silviana - I get ya - If kinda like a RG free for all lol. And I didn’t have time for all thiscte-reading folks seem to do haha

message 17: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

A lot of people have only read Ninefox in January and need to read Raven before they can jump into Gun.

message 18: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

And we still have 5 days before it's possible to talk RG at all! Join us while you can :D

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Some people use the app and can't see spoiler tags? That sucks, one of the reasons I use the desktop site on my phone.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments There's that and also the fact I usually turn on the thread notif to see if there is any message I could reply to. I won't read/reply to RS discussion obviously. Ok, we'll see how it goes.

message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oooh, I see. Yeah, because we only allow 1 thread per book outside of group reads, even if the books were separate we'd need the RG stuff in tags. A bit of a pain, but better than accidentally spoiling folks or NOT being able to discuss it as we go--or at least that's the theory!

message 22: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana wrote: "I won't read/reply to RS discussion obviously."

Why not? I assume you've read it?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Yes, but I signed up for RG buddy read, not RS. And wasn't RG what was scheduled at the first place?

I will not be useful for RS discussion anyway, many details I forgot and I won't have time to reread.

Sorry, now I feel I am ruining this thread. I do prefer a separate thread but if everyone thinks other wise then it is fine. Carry on!

message 24: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

No worries, let's move on! :) Everyone decides which books they want to read, and everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion.

I started my relisten of Ninefox sometime in the very early hours today. I always listen to audiobooks when I'm trying to sleep, that's how I'm able to do rereads.

Adding cabbage to my shopping list.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Going to (hopefully) finish Raven Stratagem by the end of the weekend and the join in for the Revenant Gun read when it comes out!

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished Ninefox, starting Raven tonight. I haven't had time to cook what I planned, but I got all the necessary ingredients to make scallion pancakes, pickled cabbage/carrot, and obviously I always have rice and noodles (and rice noodles) in my pantry. I'm thinking of making summer rolls with lots of Kel vegetables and rice noodles, and obviously I'll be having tea with those. And I'll snack on the scallion pancakes. I hope I'll have time for all that tomorrow. I kind of wish I had time to bake some pastries, too, for Vahenz!

Anna wrote: "What faction are you? Take the test."

I've taken the test as many times as I've read the first book. I thought I was comfortably Liozh, but I got Shuos last time. And this time, too. I think I took it twice in January, and the other result was Nirai. Does this mean I'm a lying, cheating fox? I'll take the fox, but the rest doesn't feel like me at all! Although I do agree with:

message 27: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna wrote: "I finished Ninefox, starting Raven tonight. I haven't had time to cook what I planned, but I got all the necessary ingredients to make scallion pancakes, pickled cabbage/carrot, and obviously I alw..."

1. I want all of that. I'm going out for Japanese today and will do my best approximation with available dishes.

2. Iiii'm watching you back, lying nine-eyes.

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter two of Raven introduces ”rolled up seaweed things” so you should be good with Japanese :D

message 29: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna wrote: "Chapter two of Raven introduces ”rolled up seaweed things” so you should be good with Japanese :D"

Exactly the sort of thing you'd WANT me to think. I'm on to you.

message 30: by Ashley (last edited Jun 10, 2018 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments I read all those shorts and flashfics you posted above, Anna, and now I’m craving anything and everything by Yoon Ha Lee! I’m really excited about his MG book coming out next year, Dragon Pearl. I’m going to buy it for my daughter for her birthday. It comes out right before her birthday, the main character’s name is very similar to her name (it’s actually one of her nicknames), and it has foxes in it (or fox spirits? Fox magic?) and she loves foxes. Plus it’s a sci-fi space opera for kids written by one of my new favorite authors. I think it was meant to be on our shelf!

I started Raven Stratagem last night but haven’t gotten very far. We’re going to the pool now so it’ll have to be later (I don’t read at the pool or beach ‘cause I like to stay in the water!) I’m going to try to have it finished by next weekend so I can start Revenant Gun asap, but obviously I’ll be behind on starting RG.

message 31: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 10, 2018 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes! I'm also dying to get my hands on Dragon Pearl! I keep checking the pub date periodically, it's been moved up at least a couple of times. I also liked The Fox's Tower and Other Tales which is filled to the brim with fox themed flash fiction! It wasn't as amazing as I was hoping for, but there were some gems. Worth checking out if you can get it from the library. I also highly recommend Conservation of Shadows to anyone who likes Ninefox. I read it after I first read Ninefox, and it helped me wait for Raven. They're not set in the same world, but some of the stories have a similar feel, and of course Lee's writing is always awesome. Some of the stories are available online:

Effigy Nights in Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 76 (I really like this one)
Flower, Mercy, Needle, Chain in Lightspeed Magazine, September 2010
A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel on Tor.com

Also on Tor.com:
Combustion Hour
Variations On an Apple

I was coming to post that there are little jokes in Raven that make more sense if you've read Extracurricular Activities. It's nothing you'd know you're missing, but EA is great so everyone should read it anyway! There's one tiny thing that I don't like, otherwise it's perfect.

I'm sorry I'm so enthusiastic, I just love this world so much! I have some comments about Raven, but I need to eat something first. I've been out and about all day with my cute fox tote, and I realized I simply have to get a ninefox tote!

message 32: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raven, chapter 2.

(view spoiler)

Raven, chapter 4.

(view spoiler)

Rachel | 1327 comments Got an email from amazon saying Revenant Gun has shipped!!!!!

message 34: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 11, 2018 05:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel wrote: "Got an email from amazon saying Revenant Gun has shipped!!!!!"

I wonder if you'll get it today?

Raven, chapter 11.

(view spoiler)

Raven, chapter 20.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 11, 2018 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raven, chapter 26.

(view spoiler)

I finished. I will never get bored of the humor, the characters, the writing. I love everything!

(view spoiler)

I had my meal of summer/spring rolls (aka. "rolled up things") filled with Kel vegetables, and I made an orange juice based dipping sauce (because Cheris mentioned liking tangerines in Ninefox).

I'm ready for tomorrow! I'm going to try to go to sleep as early as possible, so that I can wake up to Revenant Gun having already downloaded to my Kindle.

Rachel | 1327 comments I expect to receive it tomorrow as Amazon plans for folks to all get it on release day. However I’m in the midst of too many books.....

message 37: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have it! Need to wake up properly, but I hope to start reading soon.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I have it too! Can't wait to come back from the office.

message 39: by Silvana (last edited Jun 12, 2018 12:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Anna wrote: "Raven, chapter 26.

I thoroughly enjoy your enthusiasm. RS is fantastic.

message 40: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 12, 2018 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Revenant Gun, chapter 1.

(view spoiler)

RG, chapter 2.

(view spoiler)

RG, chapter 3.

(view spoiler)

edit: Added chapters 2 and 3, and a paragraph to chapter 1.

message 41: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 12, 2018 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished chapter 7, and I've already gotten some answers to those initial questions. I lost hours of reading time due to a tech problem I had to solve, but on the other hand it did force me to pace myself. I want to keep reading, but I've hit that 5PM slump and can hardly keep my eyes open. I guess it's time to take a shower, make a fresh vat of tea, and then read until I drop.

RG, chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

The burning question at this point: (view spoiler)

message 42: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 12, 2018 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yoon Ha Lee is doing an AMA on Reddit today!

"I am going to be writing a science fantasy novel for Solaris after the short story collection that I'm working on right now, but it's probably going to be a standalone."

Yes!

"There will be a short story collection, which I am working on right now (well, not right now right now, but you know what I mean). It will include a follow-up to Revenant Gun wherein (view spoiler). There will be about half reprints and half new material."

That's probably not a spoiler, but since it says follow-up, better safe than sorry. I personally wish I hadn't seen that before finishing RG, but it's not going to ruin my reading experience. Anyway, the point is that there will be a short fiction collection in this world!

message 43: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

!!!!!!!

My library doesn't have a copy of RG!!

It's okay. Don't panic. Don't panic.

*panics*

message 44: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neither does mine yet, but surely they'll get it sooner or later?

message 45: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am skeptical. Maybe? It's also not very expensive to get the ebook, so I might just go for it. I hate buying the set piecemeal though.

message 46: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'd originally thought I'd wait until RG became available on Overdrive, but I couldn't wait. Especially when I noticed that the price was so reasonable, and I didn't see it in the library system. I can usually see it immediately when they order the books, sometimes months in advance, so I took that to mean it was going to be a longer wait.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Hopefully my copy is waiting for me in the mail when I get home from work today!

message 48: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 12, 2018 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi, it's me again.

Jeng-zai aka. Hexarchate Tarot

Meaning of cards

"We've actually had a couple of game designers pitch a board game based on the battle system. Last I heard they were still trying to pick up a publisher for it."

I would buy it immediately and force everyone to play it!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments The book has an excellent start.
You were kept guessing, wait, when that happened?

Anna wrote: "Revenant Gun, chapter 3

..."

The servitor thing reminded me one of the Hugo nominees for short stories : Fandom for Robots they are so adorable.

I am still at 15%, start of chapter 5. I have to be going to work now *sigh

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Finished the first four chapters. So much going on so far! I can't wait to see where this goes.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6