CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

Online Book Club June > Discuss: Fact vs. Fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 754 comments Mod
Editor's Note Sorry for the late post on this discussion thread! Time can sometimes get away from you when you have a thousand things going.

People have always been fascinated by crime. Stories of sensational criminal acts populate old newspapers; myths are littered with people committing both illegal and immoral acts; people would gather around to observe criminal sentencing and public executions. Whether reality or fiction, people cannot seem to get enough of it.

Do you have a preference in your criminal reading? Do you like it to be true crime? Or do you prefer fictional crime?

Despite the novelistic way the book is written, The Devil in the White City is a work of fact. Larson has worked hard to present a book that can capture you with words and images but does not stray from the reality of what happened. This is probably a big reason why his books are so popular.

I will admit, I am not a huge true crime fan. Like the rest of humanity, I am fascinated by it but it gives me an uncomfortable feeling in my spine so I tend to avoid reading it. But if I had to read it, I prefer Larson's style of writing. So I am looking forward to getting into this book.

Tell us your opinion on true crime or fictional crime!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 479 comments I prefer fictional crime, but will read true crime if it's a good story: for example, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The same with the histories I read.