Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Tatjana's literary European trip 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatjana (last edited Oct 02, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Home country = Serbia
Traveling to: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Location of updates: I will be posting on Goodreads.

Current location: Serbia
Currently: fully updated
Current score:
10 points for each country read (all 1001 books)
1 point for preparing antipasti selection in Italy on August 15th
10 points for BuJo extract pages from my travels

Total: 21 points

Visited:
1. The Netherlands
2. Belgium
3. Germany
4. Poland
5. Czech Republic
6. Austria
7. Switzerland
8. France
9. Italy
10. Serbia (part of ex Yugoslavia) = home

message 2: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 1: Netherlands
Reading "Rituals" Cees Nooteboom

message 3: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished Rituals - 2 stars.
This is a short, but not that easy read. It is rather gloomy and pessimistic. Somehow, I couldn't connect to any of the few characters. The book is set mostly in Amsterdam, and is written by a Dutch author.
The story follows Inni Wintrop, Dutch, who, decades appart, happens to meet two very strange persons: Arnold Taads and his son - Philip Taads, although two of them were not close to each other. Both of them are lead by strange personal rituals, in collision to official or common philosophy of the time.

message 4: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 2: Belgium
Reading "The Lion of Flanders", written in Flemish.
It might take me some time for this one.

message 5: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished The Lion of Flanders - 3 star
This is a true historic novel from the age of chivalry and wars between nations. The story is a true account of the little piece of heroic Flemish history, fighting against occupation of French king Philip IV. Although I always like to read a little piece of history, this one was mainly focused on various battles, among which the Battle of golden spurs was depicted in detail. The story is following a destiny of the count of Flanders - Robrecht (or Robert) van Bethune, other Flemish knights but also ordinary man gathered around various professions, gaining strenght at the time.

message 6: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 3: Germany
Reading "Hyperion" by German poet Friedrich Holderlin.

message 7: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished Hyperion - 3 stars
This book is a must read, although it is not an easy read. Holderlin's biography is truly impressive: friend of Hegel and Schelling, Fichte's student, acquaintance of Goethe, Schiller and Novalis this German writer became Nietzsche's favorite poet, while his ideology was appropriate by Nazis.
In Hyperion, only novel he wrote Holderlin was impressed by ancient Greece. That's why he made his main character a Greek. A novel has not so easy to read epistolary form, and after a while you realize is going back in chronology. The novel mostly is a philosophical and not at all story driven selection of various thoughts and reflections of life and death, nature and its beauty, friendship and patriotism.
At the end of the novel Holderlin is strongly criticizing German thinking of the time, and is fascinated by ancient Greece and their philosophy, democracy, times of heroes and mythology.

message 8: by Tatjana (last edited Jul 13, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments While reading Hyperion, I found a landmark Parthenon.
The novel is set in Greece and Hyperion is moving from various islands to Smyrna and Athens at one point.
Coming to Acropolis, he said: "O Parthenon! I cried, pride of the world! at your feet lies the kingdom of Neptune like a conquered lion, and the other temples gather around you like children, and the eloquent Agora and the Grove of Academe".
Still, I don't know whether you can count it, because I was visiting Germany (the author is German)...

message 9: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 4: Poland
Reading "The Magician of Lublin" by Singer

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Tatjana wrote: "While reading Hyperion, I found a landmark Parthenon.
The novel is set in Greece and Hyperion is moving from various islands to Smyrna and Athens at one point.
Coming to Acropolis, he said: "O Par..."

Unfortunately it doesn't count b/c it has to match the country you are reading. So since you were reading for Germany, you can't get the Greece landmark. But nice catch

message 11: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Jen wrote: "Tatjana wrote: "While reading Hyperion, I found a landmark Parthenon.
Coming to Acropolis,..."

Thanks! I thought so, but just checking...

message 12: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished The Magician from Lublin - 3 stars
Typical for Singer, the story of Jasha Mazur is a story of a common Jewish guy. He is a magician and goes every summer to Warsaw to perform. He has a wife, a girl assistant Magda, a girlfriend Zevtl and another one in Warsaw - Emilia. After a series of unfortune events, he questions his whole life, finding comfort in religion.
A very nice picture of Poland by the end of 19th century.

message 13: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 5: Czech Republic
Reading: The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

message 14: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being - 5 stars.
This is truly beautifully written book by Kundera, and according to my opinion his best. It explores human relationships in such a magnificent way, his prose is just beautiful, there are so many nicely put thoughts. I enjoyed every page. The book is not concerned very much with the plot, but explores human bondage and feelings; marriage and infidelity. It also tackles morality, politics, emigration.
Worthy representative for the Czech Republic.

message 15: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Until the weather clears up to travel to Austria, I am staying in the Czech Republic. If I have time by the end of the week, I'll start reading Ivan Klima's "Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light".

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Tatjana wrote: "Finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being - 5 stars.
This is truly beautifully written book by Kundera, and according to my opinion his best. It explores human relationships in such a magnificent ..."

I loved that book.

message 17: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished another Czech author: Ivan Klima with Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light.
My rating would be just 2 stars. A difficult years described through the eyes of a mid-40's man, film director and screenplay writer who cannot fit into old communist regime, striving for a freedom. Still, after democratic changes occur he feels lost and cannot find his place to continue his professional nor personal life.

message 18: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Heading on to country no. 6: Austria.
Reading: The Piano Teacher by Jelinek.

message 19: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished The Piano Teacher - rating 2 stars.
I must say I did not like this book at all. Written by a women about a women Erika Kohut, who is in mid 30s, teaches piano and is living with her possessive mother. She is a bad teacher, has strange habits to go to peep shows and observe other people having sex (in Vienna, in park!!!), sleeps in one double bed with her mother and generally has bad opinion on many things, including emigrants, children, marriage... Story turns into a weird love relationship with her student, and develops into a brutal and violent affair. I hated this self-denial, annihilation point of the story, or whatever it is... Definitely not my favorite author. Still, I gave it 2 stars because it is not badly written.

message 20: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Just in time for a Swiss national day
Country no. 7: Switzerland
Reading: I'm not stiller - Max Frisch

message 21: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished reading I'm not Stiller by Max Frisch.
My rating: 5 stars.
This is so far the best book I've read during my literary trip in Europe. It is so intelligent, beautifully written, not that easy to read, nor a quick one, but really worth reading.
The book starts as a light thriller. A man, traveling with US passport and claiming to be Sam White is caught in a train and interrogated by border police after denunciation that he is a Swiss citizen Anatol Stiller, a missing person, wanted for unspecified crime. After being held in prison for some time, he becomes involved in his but also many other persons from Stiller's previous life, including his wife, family and friends.
Beautifully written and intelligent, this is a story of identity, and how to accept our faults, to accept who we are.
Although critical towards Swiss mentality and people, it is situated in many parts of Switzerland and depicts their beautiful nature, food and good values.

message 22: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Country no. 8: France
Reading: The Princess of Cleves by Madame de La Fayette

message 23: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished reading The Princess of Cleves by Madame de La Fayette
Rating: 3 stars
This novel is set in France during the reign of Anry II and is introducing many rulers of that time, including Henry VIII, Mary Stuart and many others.
It is situated around French court where it is usual to have political marriage with somebody you don't love, and than to fall in love with somebody you like.
The story of Princess of Cleves shows a young girl marrying young and honorable Prince of Cleves, and than falling in love with Duke of Nemur. She is giving up this love for her husband.
The beauty of the story is in this moral and psychological struggle of Princess of Cleves, not to give up her psychical strength and moral courage of being honest and faithful to her husband, even after his death (because of love!!!).

message 24: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments I'm off to Italy. Didn't have time to cook while in France. Besides, I adore Italian food. Just made a small antipasti snack with proscutto, olives and sausage. I'll do my best to transfer a photo and post it while chilling a glass of Pinot Griggio.

message 25: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments No luck. I don't know how to upload my photo...
Never mind.
I'm reading a book from country no. 9: Italy
Time of Indifference by Alberto Moravia

message 26: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished reading Time of Indifference by Alberto Moravia
Rating: 3 stars

This was a really good quality writing and a must read book. At one point it reminded me of the Camus's Stranger: this same feeling of indifference and loneliness is the dominant motive of the book. The thing about it I didn't like that much was that it was so gloomy and hard to digest.
The plot is almost non-existent and really weird. It describes five people: mother (middle-aged, and aging), and her children Carla and Michele (both in their twenties). Mother has a lover Leo Merumeci. Lisa is mothers' best friend and wants to have an affair with Michele (son). Leo and Lisa were in a relationship long time ago and mother is jealous on Lisa realizing Leo doesn't care about her anymore that much. But Leo becomes involved in a sexual relationship with Carla (daughter).
The whole story revolves around these five characters who are just thinking of themselves all the time. They do not care about others and particularly of others feelings. They are unsatisfied, cruel and insecure. I guess they lack happy and satisfying life, because their lives have no meaning. That is the reason why the book is called Indifferent ones (in original and my translation also).

message 27: by Tatjana (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments I'm leaving Italy after spending almost half a month here. I prolonged my journey and have to go home. That will be my final destination: home (Serbia).

I'll use the opportunity to recall old times when Yugoslavia existed. That was the country where I was born, as well as the author of my last book I'll read on my way back.

Final destination: home
Country no. 10 Serbia (part of ex Yugoslavia)
Re-reading: Garden, Ashes by Danilo Kiš.

message 28: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Finished reading Garden, Ashes by Danilo Kiš and safely returned home.

Rating: 4 stars
Danilo Kiš is famous for simple and beautiful writing, short stories full of life, set mostly in poor and difficult reality.
This one is a story of his childhood in difficult times, before, after and during WWII. The central character of the book is Andy. The book is written in first person, and a boy tells us about his family: loving mother; alcoholic, unstable and often absent father and sister Ana. He reflects of various issues, including life and death, religion, family relationships, love. It is set in extreme poverty but Andy remains positive and optimistic child.

message 29: by Tatjana (last edited Sep 25, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments BuJo Travel journal page extract (1):

Places I've been to (10):

• The Netherlands
• Belgium
• Germany
• Poland
• Czech Republic
• Austria
• Switzerland
• France
• Italy
• Serbia (part of ex Yugoslavia) = home

message 30: by Tatjana (last edited Sep 25, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments BuJo Travel/book journal – page extract (2):

Books I’ve read (11):

• Rituals by Cees Nooteboom
• The Lion of Flanders by Hendrik Conscience
• Hyperion by Friedrich Holderlin
• The Magician of Lublin by Isaac Bashevis Singer
• The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
• Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light by Ivan Klima
• The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek
• I'm not stiller by Max Frisch
• The Princess of Cleves by Madame de La Fayette
• Time of Indifference by Alberto Moravia
• Garden, Ashes by Danilo Kiš

message 31: by Tatjana (last edited Sep 25, 2018 03:29AM) (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments BuJo Travel/book journal – page extract (3):

The best book(s) during this trip:
• The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (5 stars)
And
• I'm not stiller by Max Frisch (5 stars)

The most boring one:
• Rituals by Cees Nooteboom

The one I disliked the most:
• The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek

message 32: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments BuJo Travel/book journal – page extract (4):

If I have to describe with one word (phrase)…

Typical for Romanic literature (region) (F, B, I) would be: romantic, emotional
Typical for Germanic literature (region) (D, CH, A) would be: reflective, philosophical
Typical for Slavic literature (region) (P, CZ, SRB) would be: realistic, set in turbulent times

message 33: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Fully updated