Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments Lovely little novel by Sandra Dallas. Alice is a young woman who marries for love at the beginning of the troubles between the states. Her husband is almost immediately off to war on the side of the Union. Alice is left to live with his mother, a rather dour woman who doesn't like the very young Alice much.

The entire story is told through letters Alice writes to her sister Lizzie. We never see the letters from Lizzie to Alice. I've read a few of Dallas' books and they've all contained reference to quilts and quilt-making and this was no exception. Alice is a very clever and accomplished quilter. Each section opens with comments on quilt designs and a bit of the history of them. Just a paragraph or two. The story doesn't dwell on the quilt-making, it is just a small part of the story.

At first I thought that the letters, only to Lizzie and not others and only those written by Alice, would make the story a bit one-sided. At first that seemed true but it quickly changed. Alice is very young at the beginning and somewhat foolish and naive. Over the years that she is separated from Charlie, she matures. There are friendships that develop and hardships. She must work with her mother-in-law so that they both survive and keep the farm that is to be Charlie's when he returns.

The story is well-developed and a good look at that period of history.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments How fun that you have a whole set of books that reference one of your hobbies! Even if quilt-making is just a small part of the story, I enjoy when books have something I can really relate to like that.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6387 comments I love Sandra Dallas's books. This was my favorite for a long time ... but now has been replaced by The Diary of Mattie Spenser.

As my nieces were getting older and moving into their teens, I gave them books by Sandra Dallas.