YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)
This topic is about Dread Nation
BUDDY READ: Historical Fiction > Dread Nation (Dread Nation #1) by Justina Ireland - Restarting November 2nd 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85660 comments Mod
Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville—derailing the War Between the States and changing America forever. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children attend combat schools to learn to put down the dead. But there are also opportunities—and Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It’s a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. After all, not even being the daughter of a wealthy white Southern woman could save her from society’s expectations.

But that’s not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn’t pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.

Zihan (rizareads) Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 1 star

Lee | 1443 comments Zihan wrote: "Chapter 5

spoilers removed"

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 1 star

Lee | 1443 comments 56% (view spoiler)

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 1 star

Lee | 1443 comments 84% (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 1 star

Lee | 1443 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Zihan (rizareads) Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

Zihan (rizareads) Chapter 12

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 1 star

Lee | 1443 comments Zihan wrote: "Chapter 12

[spoilers removed]"

I wish I could tell you I thought it got more interesting but.....

message 10: by Zihan (new) - rated it 1 star

Zihan (rizareads) Chapter 22

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Zihan (new) - rated it 1 star

Zihan (rizareads) Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Zihan (new) - rated it 1 star

Zihan (rizareads) Finished

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Zihan (new) - rated it 1 star

Zihan (rizareads) Erin wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

LOL you are absolutely right.

message 14: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Sep 27, 2018 01:58AM) (new) - added it

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting September 10th 2018. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 15: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Chapter 5: (view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 10(view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Chapter 30 (view spoiler)

Keyona | 462 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 20: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 23: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari J Moreno (arituzz) | 316 comments Keyona wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

Ugh same. I found it (view spoiler)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting October 5th 2018. Happy Reading ☺

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 25: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10789 comments Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

izzy  | 1293 comments Prologue and chapter 1
(view spoiler)

izzy  | 1293 comments Chapter 2-6
(view spoiler)

izzy  | 1293 comments Chapter 6-14
Now this is what is called progress!
(view spoiler)

izzy  | 1293 comments Say what! I love this book

Done!!!!
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10789 comments Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10789 comments Chapter 28 (view spoiler)

message 32: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10789 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48872 comments Mod

Date changed. Restarting November 2nd 2019. Happy Reading ☺

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Heather, I might be a little behind you as I'm just trying to finish a book. However, I'll get onto it as soon as the rugby finishes. What were your first impressions? (I have to say the zombie element is putting me off a bit).

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2163 comments I'm not far in, listened to the first 4 chapters last night. This weekend is hectic so won't get too far! Its off to an ok start - I love zombie stuff so I'm actually hoping that part picks up some. So far it hasn't been much action, just introduction to the characters and world. I love the historical fiction element; it's something I've yet to see in the zombie genre.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments I’m certainly interested to see how such a modern idea fits into the historical setting.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Read the Prologue and was immediately struck by the bizarre contrast of her situation as a black female at this point in time, and evidently having to act in a certain way once the zombies get underway.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2163 comments The prologue did not hold back on showing the racism of the time frame. (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2163 comments Finished ch 12

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch5. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Heather wrote: "Finished ch 12

I love the little snippets of letters that she writes to her mother. And the more that we learn about her mother, the more I really wish she was a focus in the book. She obviously ..."

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch10. Curious to see what has been cooked up by the Mayor with regard to the guardians of Jack’s sister.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch16. This first part certainly sets up some questions. I am curious as to how this move West will impact on our three friends.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch21. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch26. Jane’s frustration with her situation is evident, but I worry she’s going to do something that will cause a problem.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch30. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Up to ch36. Liking the shift to a bigger picture focus, and I’m assuming that the new town mentioned will become more significant.

Karen Barber | 11318 comments Finished. Review on home page. Heather, I can't wait to see what you make of the developments with Kate. (view spoiler)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2163 comments Karen wrote: "Heather wrote: "Finished ch 12

I love the little snippets of letters that she writes to her mother. And the more that we learn about her mother, the more I really wish she was a focus in the book..."

Some of the racism scenes are definitely uncomfortable as a reader; could not imagine having to actually sit through a situation like that. It really brings home some of the issues people of minority races/cultures etc have to deal with.

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 2163 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch16. This first part certainly sets up some questions. I am curious as to how this move West will impact on our three friends."

Just finished part 1, moving into part two for the rest of my work shift/morning before I go to bed. (view spoiler)

« previous 1