Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > July 2018 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4135 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the July Group Reads and will close on 18th June 2018 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 20th to 27th June 2018 inclusive.

You may nominate Two books, one in each category (1. Group Main Read, 2. Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4 ($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion leader.

2) No self-nominations by authors please.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year, for the sake of variety. Check our bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please ensure your nomination is a British Mystery. Please see the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is considered a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 563 comments Value Read: The Pick, The Spade and The Crow (The National Crime Agency #1) by Bill Rogers
currently free on Amazon.com with Prime
$1.99 if you don't have Prime

Apparently this is a spin off book from another series the author has. I have not read anything by him.

When the body of a man is discovered in woodlands outside Manchester, a ten-year missing-persons investigation can finally be filed away. But this was no ordinary death: gagged, bound and buried alive, he was the victim of a sophisticated and sadistic killer. And there is something else that has the National Crime Agency puzzled. A single character carved into a nearby tree.

Newly promoted to the NCA's Behavioural Sciences Unit, Senior Investigator Joanne Stuart is determined to hunt down the perpetrator. Just as Jo's investigation begins to reveal links with other disappearances, there is another murder. This is no longer a cold case; she is dealing with the escalating violence of a chilling serial killer.

Stepping into a sinister world of secrets, symbols and rituals, Jo will have to confront the legacy of her own past and the violent memories that lurk there if she is going to solve this case. But at what cost?

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Kirk | 24 comments Frost At Christmas is my nomination for Value read this month. This Great Series by R.D. Wingfield was made into a great television series staring David Jason. This is one of my favorite series of books which had a total of 6 books as well as four prequels that have been written by a different author. This is a great detective story with Jack Frost dealing with many different cases at once just as a real detective would, he is not your traditional detective often butting heads with his Superintendent.

message 4: by David (new)

AngryGreyCat wrote: "Value Read: The Pick, The Spade and The Crow (The National Crime Agency #1) by Bill Rogers
currently free on Amazon.com with Prime
$1.99 if you don't have Prime

Apparently this is a spin off book from another series the ..."

Ok so it is 99 pence in UK and Link is https://amzn.to/2JvNpnG so it's a Value Book nomination.

message 5: by David (new)

Brian wrote: "Frost At Christmas is my nomination for Value read this month. This Great Series by R.D. Wingfield was made into a great television series staring David Jason. This is one of my favo..."

Ok so it is £2.99 in UK which makes it a value read nomination. Link to book is https://amzn.to/2sY4GuZ

message 6: by David (last edited Jun 11, 2018 02:30AM) (new)

Ok for the Main Group read I will nominate

Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan
Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan.
"A local schoolgirl has been missing for weeks when Margot Lewis, agony aunt of the 'Dear Amy' advice column, receives a letter:

Dear Amy,

I've been kidnapped by a strange man.
I don't know where I am.

Please help me,
Bethan Avery

This must be a hoax. Because Bethan Avery is another young girl, who went missing twenty years ago.

As more letters arrive, Margot becomes consumed by finding the sender and - unlike the police - convinced that the girls' disappearances are connected.

Solving this puzzle could save someone's life - but could it also cost Margot her own?"

£4.99 in UK and link is https://amzn.to/2sYQ6TF

On Amazon.com it shows only paperback at $10.29 but plenty of used from $0.98 so should be ok.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Jun 11, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "Brian wrote: "Frost At Christmas is my nomination for Value read this month. This Great Series by R.D. Wingfield was made into a great television series staring David Jason. This is ..."

Revised comment: No Kindle version in US but plenty of used paperback copies.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 641 comments It is available in kindle format in Canada at $10.99

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "Ok for the Main Group read I will nominate

"A local schoolgirl has been missing for weeks when Margot Lewis, agony aunt of the 'Dear Am..."

If you search for Dear Amy Kindle you can find this for $1.99 USD on Amazon.com

message 10: by Shera (new)

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 57 comments David wrote: "Brian wrote: "Frost At Christmas is my nomination for Value read this month. This Great Series by R.D. Wingfield was made into a great television series staring David Jason. This is ..."

David wrote: "Brian wrote: "Frost At Christmas is my nomination for Value read this month. This Great Series by R.D. Wingfield was made into a great television series staring David Jason. This is ..."

I think this would make a great Christmas read

message 11: by David (new)

Mary wrote: "David wrote: "Ok for the Main Group read I will nominate

"A local schoolgirl has been missing for weeks when Margot Lewis, agony aunt of..."

Even better then than what it looks like from when I searched. Thanks Mary.

message 12: by Shera (new)

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 57 comments I would like to nominate Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. James for the main read. It is available at many price options In UK and US

message 13: by David (new)

Shera wrote: "I would like to nominate Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. Jamesfor the main read. It is available at many price options In UK and US"

£2.99 on Kindle in UK - link is https://amzn.to/2l6bNhl

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "Shera wrote: "I would like to nominate Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. Jamesfor the main read. It is available at many price options In UK and US"

£2.99 on Kindle in UK - link is https://amzn.to/2l6bNhl"

and $11.99 US for a Kindle version.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments Shera wrote: "I would like to nominate Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. Jamesfor the main read. It is available at many price options In UK and US"

I haven't read this in so many years - even if it doesn't win the nomination I am going to have to get my copy out and reread it soon.

message 16: by David (last edited Jun 15, 2018 12:05AM) (new)

So far then I think we have the following nominations;

Main Read
1: Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan
2: Cover Her Face by P.D.James

Value Read
1: The Pick, The Spade and The Crow by Bill Rogers
2: Frost at Christmas by R.D. Wingfield

message 17: by Shera (new)

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 57 comments David wrote: "So far then I think we have the following nominations;

Main Read
1: Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan

Value Read
1: The Pick, The Spade and The Crow by Bill Rogers
2: Frost at Christmas by R.D. Wingfie..."

I was nominating "Cover Her Face" as a Main read because of the US price.

message 18: by David (new)

Fine I will note it as a main read.

message 19: by Shera (new)

Shera (goodreadscomShera) | 57 comments David wrote: "Fine I will note it as a main read."

Thanks, I didn't even realize it was such a great deal in the UK.

message 20: by David (new)

Right nominations are closed with two for each of Main and Value Read.

message 21: by David (last edited Jun 19, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

Right both polls are now open.

Vote in poll section at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

message 22: by David (new)

Don't forget to vote for the July Reads. Three days left to vote.

Main read has a clear winner at the moment but the value book is close with two votes in it.
Please do vote as it is always good to have as many votes as we can then we know for sure they are the reads that the majority want.