Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Policy on novellas

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (readersentertainment) | 5 comments I spent a good deal of time correcting the numbers in Christine Feehan's Dark Series so they are correct and match what's on the authors and publisher's pages. Now, I see someone has changed them.
Has there been a policy change that I'm not aware of regarding novellas?
Currently, the book numbers for her Dark series are not correct. I don't want to fix them again just to have someone go in behind me and make the novellas be books 6.5 or 9.5. Those novellas are full, stand alone stories. The author, publisher and even Amazon treat them as their own books.
I will go and change them again, since it is confusing for readers, but not if there's a policy I don't know about and it gets "fixed" after I work on it.
Can someone please clarify for me?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45493 comments Mod
Sheila wrote: "Has there been a policy change that I'm not aware of regarding novellas?"

It's not a change. It has been policy for many years, and we made it clearer in the Manual over a year ago.

Please see: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 1759 comments Unless the series is made completely of novellas/short stories, then Novellas/Short Stories are numbered with decimals on GR. Series numbering on GR may differ from other sources do to policy differences.

Please see the relevant section of the Librarian's Manual:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

This has been policy for a number of years, so it is not a change nor is it particularly new.

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (readersentertainment) | 5 comments Very confusing for readers.
Not sure how I missed that. But, thank you for those of you who responded.

message 5: by LaurLa (last edited Aug 30, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

LaurLa | 23 comments Sheila wrote: "Very confusing for readers.
Not sure how I missed that. But, thank you for those of you who responded."

I agree that it is confusing to readers. Seems like we should adhere to the author's numbering scheme when able.

ETA: In a series I was just looking at, the newest book, "16" is considered book 19 by the author. That's a big difference. Just seems wrong to me.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45493 comments Mod
It would also be confusing to readers if a series were not numbered as per Goodreads policy, as they expect it to be.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25084 comments They're still in the same order on the series page so I don't see how it could be confusing.

message 8: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 23 comments If you received communication from the author or were following them or otherwise learned that book 3 would soon be out then came to GR to mark it for your To Read shelf and saw it was book 2 because they had novella published after the first book.... you'd be confused until you sorted it out between the author and GR. Which can be a pain and/or frustrating for the user.

Most users don't realize that is a policy. They just think GR is dumb. I know. Because that was me until I became a librarian.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25084 comments Maybe just go by the title?

message 10: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 23 comments Scott wrote: "Maybe just go by the title?"

Oh! Of course. Why didn't I think of that. With that thought process, why number them at all? That's right, because we like to know the correct order of the books in a series.

You act like I'm making a big deal out of nothing, that number assigned doesn't really matter, but if it wasn't a big deal, there wouldn't be a policy around it.

A consistent overall numbering system in GR is probably a good idea but it's a shame that we have to override an author's numbering seeing how they probably know better than anyone the order of their series.

If it's to denote novella length? Who is to say what is novella length? The series I referenced earlier, the book noted 13.5 is 150 pages. Is that really novella length? Should the length be 100? 101?

None of this really matters in the larger scheme of life.

message 11: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments "A novella is a text of written, fictional, narrative prose normally longer than a short story but shorter than a novel, somewhere between 7,500 and 40,000 words."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments All authors may have their own standard for this, but Goodreads has a specific standard to deal with the series. It would be confusing to me if Goodreads rules got changed.

message 13: by Scott (last edited Aug 31, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Scott | 25084 comments LaurLa wrote: "Oh! Of course. Why didn't I think of that. With that thought process, why number them at all? That's right, because we like to know the correct order of the books in a series."

They are in the correct order here.

Look I'm not a huge fan of how they do series here either, but it's not a huge obstacle to overcome. If the author says her next book is coming and you come here to look for it (your previous post), why would you not go by the title? Why are you so fixated on the number?