Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #9)
This topic is about Murder on the Orient Express
Archive - Group Reads > Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - 06/05 thru 06/18

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Murder on the Orient Express and your hostess is Cherry.

Please note that our discussion can be about any and all aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contain spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie Asesinato en el Orient Express (Hercule Poirot #10) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Murder On the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Summary

What more can a mystery addict desire than a much-loathed murder victim found aboard the luxurious Orient Express with multiple stab wounds, thirteen likely suspects, an incomparably brilliant detective in Hercule Poirot, and the most ingenious crime ever conceived?

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Has anyone watched the recent remake of the movie adaption of this novel? My 17-year-old son is a fan of Johnny Depp and so we went on a mom-and-son date to watch it together. Happy to say he has become an Agatha Christie fan because of it, and he even borrowed a copy of this book from our local library afterward.

Jenny (diggensjenny) Cherry wrote: "Has anyone watched the recent remake of the movie adaption of this novel? My 17-year-old son is a fan of Johnny Depp and so we went on a mom-and-son date to watch it together. Happy to say he has b..."

Yes, I have Cherry. It took me awhile to accept Kenneth Branagh portrayal, of Hercule Poirot. However, I did enjoy the movie, and it was well done. Cherry, I could see that Kenneth Branagh adaptation of this book would appeal more to the younger generation.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Jenny wrote: "Cherry wrote: "Has anyone watched the recent remake of the movie adaption of this novel? My 17-year-old son is a fan of Johnny Depp and so we went on a mom-and-son date to watch it together. Happy ..."

I hear you, Jenny. It wasn't until the film was halfway that I appreciated Kenneth Branagh's portrayal of Hercule Poirot myself. He is, nonetheless, a very good actor, and probably why I was able to later put aside Christie's physical description of her Belgian detective.

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments I loved the book and loved the movie as well!

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Jamie wrote: "I loved the book and loved the movie as well!"

That's great, Jamie. Nothing like a movie that captures a book well.

message 7: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
I've only ever seen the movie that includes Sean Connery in the cast. I've read this book several times and seen the movie several times as well. I enjoyed both. I remember the first time I read it, I had no idea how many of the passengers were involved. It was a really good ending.

Kelly Clayton | 9 comments I went to see the movie with my mother-in-law and friends and she organised the whole thing. I just turned up after a long day at work, not even sure what I was going to see. I have read gazillions of books (a multitude of genres) and couldn't quite remember the plot - until 10 minutes into the movie when the whole plot came flooding back! Still enjoyed the movie though.

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Ooh... I saw the movie with Sean Connery years ago, too, Gem. I went through a phase of watching old films on laser discs back in the day.

And yes, Kelly - It was exactly the same for me. It wasn't till halfway the movie (new version) that the plot began to come back to me, too.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments The characters delighted me through to the end. When not even the reader is sorry for one man’s murder the twists of all participants. I can’t wait to start the next Agatha Christie book on our list!

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Donna wrote: "The characters delighted me through to the end. When not even the reader is sorry for one man’s murder the twists of all participants. I can’t wait to start the next Agatha Christie book on our list!"

Haha. True. I had to remind myself it was fiction, when I felt guilty about not minding that the murderers got away with it.