What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > childrens book: England, maybe 1800s, dirty street children, one adopted by rich lady, cover brownish with curved rooftop building

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Jul 31, 2014 03:34AM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments This is a children's book or young adults book, i think.

ok it's set in olden England, like maybe 1800s or something. And there's this group of dirty street children , i think one of them gets taken in by/ adopted by a rich lady who came there by a carriage.
Some other in the carriage i think was saying how disgusting the street/ children were.

i think he ( the one taken in) had curly blonde hair & blue eyes and he's the cutest from all the other boys (that's why the lady chose him)

And the boy goes to live thete like a rich person ( taking baths & eating fancy foods.) And then i think the other street boys come to his house secretly and he gives them meat pies- he does this often. oh i think he helps them steal things.

message 2: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Like maybe 2008/2009??

message 3: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Aug 01, 2014 02:21AM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Any one?.the cover was kinda brown with like a curved, rooftop buildings.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Any steampunk or PN elements to it? Other than adopting the boy, what else was the book about--the boy growing up? Stealing with the other children?

message 5: by Pukingrainbows (last edited Aug 02, 2014 01:52AM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Yeh I'm trying to remember but its vague. I cant remember the title or even what the cover looked like.(No steampunk)

They stole stuff like meatpies/ pork pies and other stuff aswell. Well they do that i think after one day one of the street boys come to the kitchen and he gives him a meatpie. And then it keeps happening with more of the boys. I don't know if in the end they get caught or?

I think the lady might have had some other reason to adopt. Or the boys may have made a scheme to make the lady adopt him.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hewitt | 13 comments Is it written at that time or just set? It's not Child of the Jago or anything like that?

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments A Child of the Jago: A Novel Set in the London Slums in the 1890s for the click.

Was the book new when you read it, or was it like a classic? It sounds vaguely Victorian-era, like Dickens.

message 8: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments That actually sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I can't think of what it might be. Reminds me a little of Edward Eager, but I flipped through his books just now and didn't see that as a story :(

message 9: by Pukingrainbows (last edited May 06, 2017 01:24PM) (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Arielle wrote: "That actually sounds vaguely familiar to me, but I can't think of what it might be. Reminds me a little of Edward Eager, but I flipped through his books just now and didn't see that as a story :(" Thanks anyway for the help aha :) I have a vague feeling that the author was a female ?

message 10: by Pukingrainbows (new)

Pukingrainbows | 20 comments Rachel wrote: "Is it written at that time or just set? It's not Child of the Jago or anything like that?"

I think it was written in this modern times, i have a feeling by a female author? And im pretty sure it's not that book the plot and characters sounds different. Thanks anyways :)

message 11: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4165 comments The first part of your description reminds me of Guy de Maupassant: The Adopted Son but that's short story and only the first part, though.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
Pukingrainbows, are you still looking for this or did you find it?