WhispersRed Book Club discussion

Introductions > Introductions Thread!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Jun 20, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Kelly Dickerson (chicobelly) | 10 comments Mod
Hello, everyone!

Let's start an introduction thread! Feel free to tell us who you are, where you're from, how you first learned about ASMR, and anything you are hoping to read as a group! Please remember whilst in this group to be respectful of others, and that kindness is free.
I'll go ahead and start:
My name is Kelly, and I'm from Texas, but currently living in Massachusetts. I suffer from complex PTSD as a result of childhood trauma, and have also suffered from insomnia since age two. I found ASMR because a friend told me how much it helped her sleep and relax, and as a result I began following ASMRtists such as Emma. I'd really love to read A Little F'd Up: Why Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word, because I've heard really good things about it from friends!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Hi, Ro! It’s lovely to meet you! I’ve always wanted to visit NZ!
I think at some point, once we’ve gathered a good amount of “to read” requests, I might create a poll of them once we are finished discussing the books on the current reading lists. I’m also going to start another discussion thread where the new members coming in can weigh in on the format of what’s in here. I’d really like to help create this group the way everyone wants it created. It takes a village!

message 3: by Kit (new)

Kit (clemencegoldfinch) | 2 comments Hi! I’m Kit and I live in the U.K. I’m in my late twenties. I first discovered ASMR (not having a clue what it was or why I felt that way) when I was about five or six, maybe? I was at school and we were doing some sort of song or chant with whisper sections and I remember getting tingles when the whisper section came along.

I discovered it again when I found YouTube years ago (2007-ish) and someone was doing a whisper vlog so her brother didn’t hear her. From there I found WhisperingLife (via the comments section of the aforementioned video) and saw the community blossom to what it is today. My favourite triggers are whispers/soft spoken vlogs with gentle tapping on books whilst discussing them - or tapping on vinyl! I like simple videos like whisper rambles with tapping and tongue clicking.

I am studying languages at the moment and I love to read fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels. Hobbies include origami, learning about nutrition, IT, writing, corresponding by post with my penpals, stamp collecting, crochet and other stuff I dip into from time to time.

Pleasure to be in the group!

message 4: by Kit (new)

Kit (clemencegoldfinch) | 2 comments Additional edits:

A good book I’ve read recently (non-fiction and self-help) related is How to be a Bawse by Lilly Singh. It was really empowering.

A good book fiction wise was The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (dsc_0503_jpg) | 1 comments Hello! I’m excited to be here! My name is Jill! I’m from Rhode Island but I’m currently in Connecticut. I first experienced ASMR when I was a kid at the salon getting my hair washed and to this day, my favorite videos are hair washing types! I am currently into reading fantasy ya novels, steamy romances, and micro histories about things like dust lol

message 6: by Kelly (new)

@Kit: I LOVE whispering videos, too!! When I was a child, I used to love it when other kids would play with my hair and whisper, and to this day I love whispering with hair stuff, or ear massage. My dad went to University of St Andrews to study for a time, so I’ve always wanted to go out that way, too! So nice to have you in the group! I forgot to mention that I’d also love to read books about intersectionality.

@Jill: Another New Englander! Howdy, neighbor! As I said in the previous paragraph, hair videos are LIFE. I really loved the portion of massage therapy school I did when we learned scalp massage. So many nerve endings up there! Welcome!

message 7: by Aline (new)

Aline | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Aline and I live in California. I first stumbled upon ASMR a few years ago while surfing through different youtube channels. I loved finding out that there was a name for the tingly feelings I often got when listening to softly spoken people, crinkling plastic, hair brushing,...etc. It's been very helpful with my anxiety and I am so thankful for the community.

Quiet has been on my reading list for a while now and I'm looking forward to it! I typically only read fiction so I'm excited to venture out a bit.

message 8: by Gabrielle (last edited Jun 18, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Gabrielle | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm 26 years old. I'm from a little town in Pennsylvania but currently living in California. Hi, kinda-neighbor @Aline! :)

I found ASMR in college, and used it was a way to relax, unwind, and destress. I also fairly recently discovered that I am a Highly Sensitive Person, and reading The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Elaine Aron changed my life! I highly, highly recommend to anyone who may feel the stress of being sensitive.

I'm currently reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo and have found myself looking to embrace a more minimalist lifestyle. I have also had Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking on my shelf for a while, so I'm excited to dig in!

And (a little off topic) for the sake of empowering and uplifting others, I'm going to throw in a recommendation for Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men by Lundy Bancroft for anyone who may be dealing with a manipulative relationship or knows someone who needs support.

So excited to be a part of this group! Thanks for coordinating, @Kelly! :)

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Welcome, Aline and Gabrielle! It's so nice to have you both! Thanks for all of these wonderful suggestions of future reads!

message 10: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy Yost | 1 comments Hi Everyone: I am Kimmy. I live in the Philadelphia PA suburbs. I found this group because I follow Emma on YT & use ASMR for relaxation.

I am an avid reader & recently stepped out of my comfort zone & read the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard & started the Divergent series by Veronica Holt.

In my non-reading spare time I enjoy playing with my Cricut & crocheting Afghans for friends.

I highly recommend The Last Note Played by Lisa Genova.

Thanks for having me in your group. ❤️

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Hi, Kimmy! It’s great to have you in the group!

message 12: by Peyton (new)

Peyton (peyton8) | 1 comments Hello Everyone! I am late to the party, but I don’t think I introduced myself...I just feel honored to be involved in a book club with other lovely women who think Emma is amazing and kind and love her and her ASMR videos. I feel like we are in a special secret club! I’m Peyton, and I am from New Orleans, born and raised. I’ve never slept very well-my mind is forever going 1000 miles an hour and it’s so hard to turn that off at night. I always liked watching my friends color with crayons, or draw; it always made me sleepy, and Emma’s ASMR videos and the knowledge she shares is so priceless to me.
I agree with Gabrielle, “The Highly Sensitive Person” by Elaine Aron is a great book. I also like “The Biology Of Belief”, and I just got “A Path Appears” by Nicholos Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. (I’m on my iPad and I can’t figure out how to underline yet, I’m sorry!)
A hug and a welcome, to everyone in our group! Sincerely, P.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinnicole86) | 3 comments Hello fellow bookworms! My name is Erin and I am from Minnesota. I actually was introduced to ASMR about five years ago when my friend showed me a video from Maria (GentleWhispering) that he thought would help me sleep and help with my anxiety. It wasn't until I saw a video that Maria did with Emma last year that I started following Emma and since then I've gone back and watched some of her earlier videos, along with both her vlog channel and Maria's. I am a huge fan of reading, but I haven't been able to do it for long periods of time like I used to because I always fall asleep (thanks to sleep apnea). Unfortunately, I haven't read any books lately, but am willing to read just about anything! I recently found that my library allows me to check out ebooks as well as physical books and audiobooks, so I am super psyched to get back to reading more.

Over the years, I have started to embrace the fact that I am an empath and a highly sensitive person (as I used to see it as a weakness), and while I have not yet read any books about it, I am excited to do just that! I look forward to many discussions, book suggestions, and just overall awesome camaraderie with this book club!

message 14: by Kelly (new)

@Peyton- Nobody’s ever going to be late! We are all right on time! Welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy it! <3
@Erin- Welcome! I really love Maria’s channel as well! I’m sorry to hear about your apnea preventing you from reading. I personally couldn’t concentrate on books for probably around six years because psychotropic medication put me in such a bad fog. It really is unfortunate when medical things render us unable to do the things we want, but feel free to come in here and chat anytime! In fact, I’m going to make a thread for general chit chat right MEOW! I hope you enjoy the group regardless of whether you can read the books or not. <3

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinnicole86) | 3 comments I will definitely be doing some more reading! I totally understand the fog from medications - I've had chronic migraines since I was 20 (I'm 32 now) and if the medication doesn't have me in a fog, the post migraine drone has me in one lol. That's one of the best things about reading -- it can totally take us away from the difficulties we have to face every day.