Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Sarah, Plain and Tall discussion

Sarah, Plain & Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucelia (new)

Lucelia I had trouble loving this book. I felt the story-line was so dry and I needed more details, similes, metaphors and it needed a pump of voice! I may feel this way because I think that the characters development throughout the story was not well developed. I feel there was so much missing from this book including: visuals, feelings, excitement, and story twists. But the book is not doomed, I did notice that the discourse of the book was very repetitive with not too many challenging vocabulary words. I think this was done like so on purpose. If I go back to what Dr. Dryden said, this is a transitional book so it would not be developmentally appropriate to include upper level terminology and maybe bombard students with too much. At this moment of students’ lives, they are still learning to read and are expanding their vocabulary. These moments are crucial in the sense that students must feel that they can read successfully and this book allows them to do so.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 13, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Personally, I always found all of Patricia MacLachlan's books that I have read are very simple plot wise; like snapshots of someone's life so to speak (this is usually why I read her stories), or you can say slice-of-life in its basic form. What it says in the story description is what your going to get.

I always felt the vocabulary choices reflected that the story is told in the first person by a young farm child that is surrounded by other farm familys. Not that I mean of course, that many young children, not to mention farm children, don't at least know some challenging and not frequently used vocabulary words. I did as a child (but I couldn't always spell them or pernounce them correctly.) and I have known many young children that know some. But unlike today when many children can hear knew words from the raido, television, internet, etc., not to mention the more wider variety of books available to most people that aren't upperclass, most children's access to broader vocabulary was through the people around them, school books (if you went to school or were homeschooled), and, if it applied to your family, preacher/Sunday school teacher/Bible etc.

Or maybe that is just part of her writing style too.🤷