SQHS YLL discussion

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
This topic is about The Omnivore's Dilemma
The Omnivore's Dilemma: The horrifying realization of Food anywhere and everywhere

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Noah-itall (last edited Jun 05, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

The Noah-itall Taylor-Ortiz | 15 comments Ah food, perhaps the most deliciously devilish idea to make a profit out of…

Oh, are you worried about your own devastatingly bland meal plans? Well good! Because that’s the sign of a decently intelligent food skeptic, and if that’s the case, this book is beyond perfect for you, your friends, and really, everyone else who desperately needs this type of information.

Seriously. It’s kind of necessary to know about what we eat… Since…
You know…

We're not very good at keeping ourselves informed...

Anyhow, back to the re-educationizing of the teenage nutrition plan; because you impossibly indolent and undisciplined lackeys aren’t gonna be able to live off of pizza and microwave ramen forever…

And for the love of god, please do not try to prove me wrong, you won’t verify anything, you’ll just make yourselves and our generation look even sadder.

So, the book of my choice, The Omnivore’s Dilemma; what’s it about, why should you care, and most importantly of all, should you silly willy’s even bother reading it (the answer to that last one is yes by the way)?

Well, let me describe the general gist. The book is about the learning experiences of a man named Michael Pollan, and his attempt at trying to explain why, out of all the options of mouthwatering appetizers and bountifully sweet desserts to devour, why humans in general have had such a difficult time deciding what to eat.

This book challenges not only our stance on food, but it also makes us think about where it comes from, how it was raised, how it got to us in the first place, and many more seemingly simple questions, whose true mystifying answers stay hidden behind either a truckload of bio-engineered corn, a blanket of pesticide protected produce, or an entire industrial plant filled with miserable cows, chickens, and pigs.

It touches upon subjects of so many different topics, it’s kind of difficult to list them all here; to start though, how about the intricacies of how corn has become a part of literally everything we eat? Or how about the life of the unknown, forgotten, and ultimately soon to be a hamburger Steer #534? Oh! What about the real truth about how organic foods are preserved, kept, and manufactured? And yes, I do mean like machinery.

The amount of important, thought-provoking, and meaningful ideas that this book brings to our attention is astoundingly incredible, and yet not many people actually care enough, or pay enough attention to how our meat, our vegetables, or even our drinks, are made?

Oh, I know why. It’s because the book isn’t a fantastical epic, or a chilling horror, or even a,*sigh*, a romantic novel… All of those we love to death, but ultimately forget a week or so after we’ve indulged ourselves of its contents.

Well, I hope this story is different.

I hope that you all intelligent enough, wisdom-hungry enough, and self-advocating enough, to at least give this book a chance.

Yes, I am saying this to a millennial; the type of person who most likely couldn’t give enough of a [redacted] about any of this, and would instead prefer to use their time to waste away on iPhones and chatting up with their soon-to-be forgotten friends.

But I implore you all, to go against your nature, to delve into the catacombs of complicated language, to read through all the unfathomably wordy pages, and to think about the many mind-twisting truths…

Because hey, wouldn’t you like you know what you’re really eating, and challenge yourself with an edible revolution? Or would you rather be another, ignorant little sheepy sheep prepped to feed off of burgers and sodas your whole life?

Is this too preachy? Well you know what? I don’t really care about all that.
You could call me the Food Pope and I still wouldn’t care at all.
I’m just here to let you un-simple simpletons know that, well,
Food is pretty important.

You agree with that at least, right?

message 2: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix Swendt | 5 comments This sounds like an amazing book! It’s seems like it would almost be funny to read because I can relate on how hard it is to choose what I want to eat. Definitely considering reading

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 9 comments this is a very creative way to format the review. I've always been super interested in this topic, i watch movies like food inc. and they really fascinate me. if I come across this book I will definitely read it.

message 4: by The Noah-itall (new)

The Noah-itall Taylor-Ortiz | 15 comments Cameron wrote: "this is a very creative way to format the review. I've always been super interested in this topic, i watch movies like food inc. and they really fascinate me. if I come across this book I will defi..."

Well I'm glad to hear it. We need more people to look into this type of stuff.

I came across this book by complete chance, which is ironic considering how I make it out to be my own food-like bible, and I've been intrigued by it ever since.

Anarchy can kill a society, but so can Ignorance.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
You might be interested in reading his other book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.

What is one detail you learned from this book that you think all people should know?

message 6: by The Noah-itall (last edited Jun 07, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

The Noah-itall Taylor-Ortiz | 15 comments Erika wrote: "You might be interested in reading his other book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.

What is one detail you learned from this book that you think all people should know?"

Just one, singular detail? B-but there's so many that are so good!
But if I had to say one thing, it would probably be about societies general ignorance about our meat industry (for the customer it's unintentional, the company 100% intentional); what with many animals unfortunately being fed corn, despite the fact that with the cow, it was never meant to eat it, and also about the treatment of said livestock, which if said treatment was told to the general public, I'm quite sure a good amount of people would go vegetarian.

So yeah, I guess that's one thing I wish more people knew about.