What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA (possibly), Peter Pan retelling with Neverland and pirates, female main character has presumed mental illness. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Khira (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Khira | 6 comments Here is everything I remember:

* I believe it was a YA book
* I believe I read it between 2010-2014
* I believe it was new at the time, but I am not sure.
* I believe it was set in the US
* The main character was female
* The book was in English

*** SPOILERS / Everything I remember about the plot ***

This is a retelling(?) of Peter Pan.
The main character is a female (name unknown) and the other is a male named Pan (as in Peter Pan).
The female has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and has taken medicine that makes her stop seeing Pan and being able to visit Neverland since she was a child.
She forgets/wants to forget about Pan and Neverland, so she does.
She is married, her and the husband live in the country and he commutes to the city for work.
The mental illness/pills has shaped her life.
She is barely able to function in a normal setting, so she is reclusive?
It mentions that she HATES going into the city, but I believe she does so occasionally to support the husband at social work events.
She is a painter.
I believe she paints dark, haunting scenes. There is one about a ship on a stormy sea I think.
I believe these are all about Neverland.

I don't remember whether the book opens as her as a child, but there are at least flashbacks to that time.
I believe Captain Hook (name in book unknown) is an adult when she is a child and already the captain (not 100% on that).

As an adult, she stops taking the medicine for some reason and starts to see Pan again.
He is an adult, he has grown with her.
She visits Neverland again I think.
Neverland is not necessarily a nice place.
I believe something is fundamentally wrong with Neverland, something she can fix.
Pan wants her to leave the husband and come be with him in Neverland.
She then starts to remember some of the things from her childhood she wanted to forget.
She is able to do something, save Neverland, she has some kind of power there.
Captain hook wanted her to do something when she was young and she wouldn't.

*** TRIGGER WARNING ***
I believe Captain Hook locked her in a room with one of his crew and they either raped or molested her as a child, hence why she wanted to forget.
*** END OF TRIGGER ***

Climax of story: She is able to paint over one/all (?) of her Neverland paintings in white, effectively erasing it, and painting a new and different Neverland/world.
I believe she paints herself with Pan.
I believe she gives her husband another wife, like they have never been married.
She fixes whatever was wrong with Neverland.
I don't know what she does with Hook.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinatome) | 28 comments My first thought was Unhooked, but I don't know that it fully fits; it's on my tbr. I'm going to follow this, though, because I want to read whatever this is, lol.

message 3: by Khira (new)

Khira | 6 comments Tina,

You're right, that doesn't exactly fit. I have been trying to find this book for a couple of years, I even went to the library and got them to help me search and nothing!

Thanks for trying!
Khira

message 5: by Khira (last edited Jun 05, 2018 05:32PM) (new)

Khira | 6 comments Spockles,

I had not looked through those before, but I didn't find it on any of those lists. I read the summaries on quite a few of the books on those lists, but nothing :(
If I dreamed this or something, I am going to write this book! lol

Thanks so much,
Khira

message 6: by Jenn Carrell (new)

Jenn Carrell | 2 comments There are several that this sounds like...
The Wendy Darling Series by Colleen Oakes
The Lost Girl
Adventures of Neverland Series

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Jenn's suggestions:
- Wendy Darling series by Colleen Oakes
- Lost Girl (Neverwood Chronicles) by Chanda Hahn

message 8: by Khira (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:52PM) (new)

Khira | 6 comments Jenn and Kris,

I just looked at these series and I don’t believe they are it. None of the summaries mention the mental illness or that she is a painter.

Thanks!!
Khira

message 9: by Khira (new)

Khira | 6 comments I updated my post to put more emphasis on the mental illness aspect of the book. It was present throughout the book, whether she was taking the pills, not taking them, the husband asked her about it, it shaped the way they lived their life, ... etc

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments The Never maybe?

message 11: by Khira (new)

Khira | 6 comments Ashye,

This seems like the one! I can’t believe it! I’ll need to read it to be sure, but it is the closest I have found!

Thank you so so so much!
Khira

message 12: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments You're welcome! Let us know if it is the book or not (when you know) - it'll get moved to solved or people may have other suggestions, if it is not.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40646 comments Mod
Khira, still looking or did you find this?