Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Science fiction resources

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:03AM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I thought it would be useful for members to have a list of resources about science fiction such as information about genre authors, sub-genres, bibliographies, book reviews and so forth. I'll start by listing two sites. If you have any suggestions for other sites of interest, please post them in this topic and I'll copy the link in the opening post.

Internet Speculative Fiction Database
The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
eFanzines.com (science fiction fanzines on-line)

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim  Davis | 48 comments I like to use the ISFDB for bibliographies. I often like to read an author in chronological order and they have a tab to enable you to list an authors chronological publishing order,

message 3: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "I like to use the ISFDB for bibliographies. I often like to read an author in chronological order and they have a tab to enable you to list an authors chronological publishing order,"

Yeah it's a handy resource, though it needs to improve its coverage of some periodicals. It's a non-profit organisation so it depends on volunteers to submit information.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 45 comments The Encyclopaedia of SF certainly has a crap search engine. I opened the link and there at the top of the first page was "Ian Miller". Yeah - wrong one :-( So I tried the search engine and got 38 results, none of them remotely like that name, including nothing for the first top result.

message 5: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "The Encyclopaedia of SF certainly has a crap search engine. I opened the link and there at the top of the first page was "Ian Miller". Yeah - wrong one :-( So I tried the search engine and got 38 r..."

I checked the ISFDB but only found that other Ian Miller guy too! clearly, both resources need to be updated given that GR lists 15 works by you! However, I'm guessing that your books are suffering from a lag in listing due to all of your published work appearing to post-date 2010/2011. You could list your stuff at the ISFDB yourself, including any reviews that have appeared in magazines or fanzines.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 45 comments Greg wrote: "Ian wrote: "The Encyclopaedia of SF certainly has a crap search engine. I opened the link and there at the top of the first page was "Ian Miller". Yeah - wrong one :-( So I tried the search engine ..."

What really annoyed me was that the search engine gave 38 responses, and none of them were actually "Ian Miller". If they gave none, that would be bad because they should have given the one they listed, but to waste everyone's time with 38 duds (in the search, not as authors) is just annoying, at least to me

message 7: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "Greg wrote: "Ian wrote: "The Encyclopaedia of SF certainly has a crap search engine. I opened the link and there at the top of the first page was "Ian Miller". Yeah - wrong one :-( So I tried the s..."

When I did a phrased search for your name (i.e. Ian Miller in inverted commas), there were only 31 hits. The first of these was to a stub article about John Blanche which only states that he is mentioned in the article on Miller the artist. The second hit was to the artist himself. Then, with the third hit (in Michael Scott Rohan's entry), Miller the artist is referred to as the cover artist for some of Rohan's books. The artist is also referred to in the entry for Strange Plasma (the 4th hit) for doing the cover art of an issue of this semi-prozine. So it seems that some, at least, of these 31 hits are relevant because the artist's name is mentioned somewhere in these articles. I think without using the phrased search you'll get articles that contain either the names 'Ian' or 'Miller' (or indeed the word 'miller').

Hmm. without using the inverted commas I got 71 hits for your name.... Now I'm wondering why there's a disparity in the number of hits we both got.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 45 comments Greg, I have no idea why our respective searches gave different results. I am a little annoyed with search engines in general. A few years ago they used to have an "advanced" option where with a little knowledge of discrete mathematics you could focus tolerably well on what you want, but now they seem to assume everyone is mathematically illiterate and they have dropped such options. Somehow or other they have also been modified to be non-reproducible - in some cases I have repeated the same search on different days and got quite different results, and even a few minutes later. I give up, but still use them because there is no real option. Unfortunately, Google has more or less defeated all competition, and nobody is trying to improve things.

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "Greg, I have no idea why our respective searches gave different results. I am a little annoyed with search engines in general. A few years ago they used to have an "advanced" option where with a li..."

It's likely that most search engines use an algorithm to take into account what other sites you have visited as well as your previous searches so as to (supposedly) make your searches more 'relevant', but they only end up creating a 'filter bubble' for the searcher. Clearing your browser cache before doing searches might be helpful - but it's annoying to have to do.

message 10: by Hector (new)

Hector Cuadra (hcuadra) | 3 comments Maybe deleting the cookies and the browser's cache will help.