Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > Red Russia by T.A. Thompson 4*s

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 276 comments I suppose I can will be the party pooper as I review this book since unlike others I didn't personally care much for this tale. 'So why the 4*s, you reasonably ask' - It is because the style of writing and the unique and hilarious narrative is certainly warranting of the higher rating. My personal liking would be closer to 3*'s but I didn't think that would be fair since my objection is found in the abundance of drugs, sex and 4 letter words that found me cringing and not laughing. If I wasn't so prudish I would have laughed more!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7466 comments MargieD2017 wrote: "I suppose I can will be the party pooper as I review this book since unlike others I didn't personally care much for this tale. 'So why the 4*s, you reasonably ask' - It is because the style of wri..."

You're nicer than I am! Books lose points for me for having too many 4 letter words (at least 1/2 a star, sometimes a full star). Not that I have pure language, but I hate reading it or hearing it in film or on TV.

Instead, though, and I think you did this, I will add a star at times if the writing is stellar. I've even hated books at one star and added a star if I think something about the writing warrants it.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I have the same problem with the book I’m reading right now....I’m not sure what I will do in terms of rating yet.