Monthly "Reads" > may 2018 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1237 comments Hello, here are my May reads:

Top Reads

Sting-Ray Afternoons by Steve Rushin Sting-Ray Afternoons
Steve Rushin
A nicely written memoir of a childhood in the seventies. The author is just a few months older than I am so the nostalgia factor was high, the pop history facts woven into the narrative were interesting, and the family moments were both funny and sweet. The audio was narrated by Greg Baglia who was quite good.

A Fine Line by Gianrico Carofiglio A Fine Line
Gianrico Carofiglio
This is one of my favorite legal series. Though the plot was not thrilling by any means, it did make me think and the characterizations were as well done as always. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Seán Barrett who was excellent.

Good Reads

Sunset Limited (Dave Robicheaux, #10) by James Lee Burke Sunset Limited
Typical entry in the Robicheaux series with the usual atmospheric writing and sins from the past plot. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Mark Hammer who I really like.

Strangle Hold
Mary McMullen
Set at an ad agency in New York City and the winner of the 1952 Edgar Award for Best First Mystery, this had an entertaining plot and was an interesting look at career women in the fifties.

The Crowded Grave by Martin Walker The Crowded Grave
Martin Walker
Another pleasant entry in this series set in the French countryside. Bruno is great lead character and handles all situations, whether big or small, with great competence. Listened to the audio version which was read by Robert Ian Mackenzie who was very good.

The Black Ice Score (Parker, #11) by Richard Stark The Black Ice Score
Richard Stark
This series is consistently good. While Parker had a bit of a different role as a consultant to a group wanting to steal back their small African nation's wealth, I enjoyed the audio version and the narration by Stephen Thorne was well done.

Crimson Lake (Crimson Lake, #1) by Candice Fox Crimson Lake
Candice Fox
An entertaining and tense story set in Queensland Australia. The rural setting was very well described and the characters unique but the actual plot was a bit lacking until a furious finish at the end.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1343 comments Good month Sandi.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month! If I could get my brother to read a book, I bet he'd like Sting-Ray Afternoons.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15060 comments Nice looking month, Sandi!
Books that make you think, lead a walk down memory lane and with favorite narrators = good reading and an entertaining group-read discussion.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Thanks for your summaries, Sandi. (The melody of "Thanks for the Memories" just swam through my head --- Bob Hope reference that dates me I'm sure.)

I'm looking forward to Crimson Lake.